The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
Paragon said:
Are you heading out for the match tomorrow night ?
Not sure yet - depends how much I get done tommorow. I am leaving for Europe in a few days though so I will be out for the other two for sure.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Paragon said:
Yeah, I'm watching it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything while I blinked in an invariable pattern. The WC's official match-ball, "Teamgeist", is controversial because it swerves more than normal footballs do, thus making it increasingly difficult for GKs to judge etc. Plus, I think the synthetics of the ball are also keeper unfriendly, as in, it supposedly gets even more slippery when wet, again moreso than normal balls.

The conspiracy-theorists will have you believe that it's a ploy by FIFA to bolster the number of spectacular goals. Frings and Lahm will claim it to be skill.
I thought it was publically (sp? - my brain is off) known that it was to increase the numbers of goals. I'm all for it: more goals = more exciting game

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Paragon said:
On the England subject, it was frustratingly silly for England to bypass their MF quartet and launch long-balls to Crouchy. Whatever it was Sven was trying to achieve by doing that, I'm guessing it didn't quite come-off. On Sven, Downing for Owen ? Didn't make sense at all.

As for Lamps./Gerrard in Central MF, it is clear now, as it ever was, that they can't operate side-by-side, and what Sven is doing is sending them out and hoping they'll sort it out between themselves. Fine management. It's never happened in the past, it's unlikely to happen in the next 4 weeks. Seeing as the Crouch/Owen combination didn't come to fruition, for me, the best option is to drop one of the strikers, (if it's Crouch, that'd mean the long-ball game goes out the window as well), and play either Gerrard or Lamps. off the sole striker, whilst the other operates solely in MF. Bottom-line, get them away from each other and give them distinct roles in the team.

Paraguay v. Sweden should be one battle-charged affair.
I was playing football manager with England. In world cup qualification Crouch scored a hattrick against Poland and 4 goals against Austria :lol:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Predictions for tonights game:

Netherlands vs Serbia and Montenegro - 0-0

Mexico vs Iran - Mexico, 2-1

Angola vs Portugal - Portugal, 3-1

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon 1-1 between netherlands and serbia, 1-0 to mexico and 4-0 to portugal

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Wow.. people writing off the Oranjes already. I'll go for 2-0 to them. 1-0 to Mexico and 3-0 to Portugal.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Benny_ said:
Wow.. people writing off the Oranjes already. I'll go for 2-0 to them. 1-0 to Mexico and 3-0 to Portugal.
I'm not going to write off Netherlands...they are one of my favourites to win the cup. My predictions for tinight's games are:

- Netherlands 1-0 Serbia & Montenegro (Van Nistelrooy)
- Mexico 2-0 Iran (Borgetti, Marquez)
- Portugal 3-0 Angola (Pauleta, Ronaldo, Deco)

C'mon Portugal!!!!!!!!!:)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I'm not writing them off, I just think the Serbia and Montenegro defense is fantastic and I can't even see VN and crew going past it more than once.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
My predictions:
Serbia vs Netherlands: 1-1 (or 0-0)
Serbia are an excellent side this world cup (as Yougoslavia was in the past).

Mexico 1 - 2 Iran
I'm predicting an upset. My reason is the form that both teams are in. Whilst mexico has recorded victories, they havent been convincing, although will still likely be tough.
Mexico:
March 2: Mexico 1 Ghana 0
March 30: Mexico 2 Paraguay 1
May 6: Venezuela 0 Mexico 1
May 13: Mexico 2 Democratic Republic of Congo 1
May 27: France 1 Mexico 0
June 1: Netherlands 2 Mexico 1

IRAN:
March 1: Iran 3 Costa Rica 2
May 28: Croatia 2 Iran 2
May 31: Iran 5 Bosnia-Herzegovina 2
They have proved that they can score, however, they're lacking in defense.

Angola 1 - Portugal 3

HotShot

-_-
HSC
acmilan said:
erm..assuming both paraguay and england beat trinidad and tobago, then sweden just need to beat paraguay to finish 2nd, doesnt matter if they lose to england.
england 3 points
sweden 1 point
tt 1 point
para 0 point

now england vs tt =england 3+
now para vs sweden = ??
now swe vs eng = ??
now para vs tt = para 3+

so eng = 6
sweden =1
tt = 1
para = 3

now if sweden beat para - then they should be through, but a draw or loss then they are in strife. assume draw
eng 6
para 4
tt 1
sweden 2

then it comes to sweden vs england = must win for sweden
also this if tt wins anyof the games against para or england, then sweden will be in deeper trouble.

serbia 0 vs netherland 1 - should be a gud match. nothing wrong with serbis, somehow feel they will be unlucky, like a free kick or something with they way netherlands fake it (they are pros at that, lol van bommel falls down in pain next minute nearly scores), but yeah netherland just by one.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Serbia & Montenegro 4 vs 1 The Netherlands

No bias, even though I'm half-Serb :p

Haha, seriously:

Serbia 1 vs 0 The Netherlands

Mexico 1 vs 1 Iran (I tipped Mexico to win when I first joined the BOS comp, but I changed my mind a couple of days before WC kicked off, couldn't be assed to change the tip lol)

Portugal 2 vs 0 Angola

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
england 3 points
sweden 1 point
tt 1 point
para 0 point

now england vs tt =england 3+
now para vs sweden = ??
now swe vs eng = ??
now para vs tt = para 3+

so eng = 6
sweden =1
tt = 1
para = 3

now if sweden beat para - then they should be through, but a draw or loss then they are in strife. assume draw
eng 6
para 4
tt 1
sweden 2

then it comes to sweden vs england = must win for sweden
also this if tt wins anyof the games against para or england, then sweden will be in deeper trouble.
I agree with that, but you said

HotShot said:
in the end england were lucky, will need to improve against sweden who will have to beat both paraguay and england to really stand a change. why? if t&t lose to both paraguay and england, then sweden will be third or even fourth.
Which implies sweden need to win both against england and paraguay to stand a chance. Which isnt the case, a win against paraguay guarantees sweden a position in the next round even if they lose to england (if you stick to your assumption that t&t lose both games)

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
matt#1 said:
I'm not going to write off Netherlands...they are one of my favourites to win the cup. My predictions for tinight's games are:

- Netherlands 1-0 Serbia & Montenegro (Van Nistelrooy)
- Mexico 2-0 Iran (Borgetti, Marquez)
- Portugal 3-0 Angola (Pauleta, Ronaldo, Deco)

C'mon Portugal!!!!!!!!!:)
Mate, I think Deco's out for the Angolan match with some sort of injury. This was up until yesterday though.

Other two matches will be very tight.
Dutch v. Serbs, expecting a low-scoring affair, with one-goal separating the two. Hopefully both teams gun for the three-pointer now that they actually know how dogged the Ivory Coast oufit are.
Mexico v. Iran, personnel suggests Mexico, form suggests Iran. I think I've put in different tips for this match in each of my various comps. :confused:

Jimmy_B

HSC
politik said:
A good bet would be 10 each on Australia and Japan. A win for Australia pays $2.10 (and a dollar and your money back), and a win for Japan pays $3 (and ten dollars and your money back). So you can't lose.
what if it's a draw?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
politik said:
A good bet would be 10 each on Australia and Japan. A win for Australia pays $2.10 (and a dollar and your money back), and a win for Japan pays $3 (and ten dollars and your money back). So you can't lose.
I really hope that was a joke.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
Ah Robben, his talent his as mesmerising :) as his personality is detestable :mad1: .

Kudos to the Oranje brigade for not taking their foot off the pedal, a la England.
Good win for Holland...and yes, as much as I hate him...Robben did play well.
A notable absetee in the Serbia & Montenengro defence, however, was Manchester United's excellent Namanja Vidic. Expect their defence to be even more solid when he comes back. I'm not sure if he will be back for the next match or the one after that though. Anyway, a much deserved victory for Holland :) .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)