• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
Argentina - ayala, saviola, crespo, aimar, cruz and gonzalez
I find it interesting that you left out Messi, Riquelme and Heinze when you were listing some of Argentina's more important players. These 3 are definitely some of their most talented players.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The overall quality of the African teamz are quite poor, Togo shouldn't bother anyone, while itz hard to see Angola do better, although wit Portugal in the same group it can spark em to action. Ghana look the goodz but they're in a pretty tough group. Cote d'Ivoire iz actually the best African qualifier thiz time, but I can't see em gettin out of that group alive, unless of courz Argentina and Netherlandz both choke.

Australia makin the final can only be a dream I'm afraid, gettin past the group stage iz already a big enough task in itself.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
ESPN Soccernet.

I've got a sneaking suspicion this WC will be the best in recent times, well, starting from, and including USA '94 which was my first. Barring Africa, of the teams making the 32, there aren't too many big-guns (other than Turkey I'd say) which missed the cut this time around, like the French, Dutch, Czechs .... Aussies .... missing out in the last couple of tournaments. But like always there are more than a handful of players who could've graced Germany '06 but will be missing-in-action for various reasons, that for me is the only bit which I'm a bit sour about I guess.

Ryan Giggs, like George Best will, simply put, never take the world stage.

Then there are the likes of Africa's: Eto'o / Mido / Okocha / Martins.

Quite the contingent from Greece + Turkey in: Zagorakis / Samaras / Hakan Sukur / Emre / Hasan Sas / Basturk / Rustu.

In the GK stakes, Friedel and perhaps even Kahn will be missing.

In the case of Pires and Giuly, it's more a case of coach Domenech refusing to get off his high-horse and put the Les Blues' betterment ahead of his own personal grudges. Those two should be big losses for France, especially Giuly.

Between Germany and Holland, the missing include Davids/Seedorf/Stam/Kluivert/Hamann/Schneider.

Spanish affairs: the missing include the likes of Vicente/Baraja/Morientes/Victor Valdes. The array of midfield talent in the Spanish ranks I think rivals any country out there, but I think we all know better than to back them for a major tourney, or any tourney really.

Looking eastwards to Italy, no Vieri/Maldini/Cassano.

South America-wise: no Belletti / Zanetti / Baptista / Marcos / Ewerthon / Marcelinho.

And conveniently overlooked for the third WC running are the love/hate duo of Anelka and Phil Neville.

Guess we'll have to make do with the likes of Ronaldinho/Riquelme/Kaka/Nedved. Oh well, should be a great month of Football fiesta nonetheless.

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
But like always there are more than a handful of players who could've graced Germany '06 but will be missing-in-action for various reasons, that for me is the only bit which I'm a bit sour about I guess.

there are the likes of Africa's: Eto'o / Mido / Okocha / Martins.
Welcome back, Paragon:) . Out of all the players you mentioned, I think that Eto'o (voted 3rd in the 2006 FIFA World Player of the year rankings) will be the most sorely missed at the world cup. I think it is almost a crime that such a talented player has to miss out on being able to compete on the biggest stage of all. Out of the teams that did make the world cup...Domenech's decision to leave out Guily is the most confusing. Former European player of the year, Morientes is also unlucky to miss out.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
matt#1 said:
Welcome back, Paragon:) . Out of all the players you mentioned, I think that Eto'o (voted 3rd in the 2006 FIFA World Player of the year rankings) will be the most sorely missed at the world cup. I think it is almost a crime that such a talented player has to miss out on being able to compete on the biggest stage of all. Out of the teams that did make the world cup...Domenech's decision to leave out Guily is the most confusing. Former European player of the year, Morientes is also unlucky to miss out.
OKacha !!!!!!!! How good is he?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Out of the teams that did make the world cup...Domenech's decision to leave out Guily is the most confusing.
French coach had a preferred lineup for the team, Zidane and co. come out of retirement, coach changes everything to include them in the team, Guily has no where to play anymore. That pretty much sums up why theres no room for him. Plus the french coach is apparantly some nut who chooses players based on their star signs.

johnny_87

HSC
He leaves Giuly out of the squad, includes Boumsong and Cisse, and plays Barthez ahead of Coupet? How the hell is he the French national coach?

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
if there is no room for guily in your squad or tactical system, then they must be wrong ...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
johnny_87 said:
He leaves Giuly out of the squad, includes Boumsong and Cisse, and plays Barthez ahead of Coupet? How the hell is he the French national coach?
quoted for emphasis

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Pires had a bust up wit Domenech, therefore not picked. Poor guy, had the best spell of hiz career durin 2002 and got injured. He won't get a chance to go to a World Cup now.

johnny_87

HSC
Haha loving the emphasis on my opinions here.

LMF - Love that pic of the Arse sook! lol

*Minka*

HSC
OMG!!

I jsut found out five minutes ago that we have tickets and are GOING to Croatia v Australia. To get an idea of how exciting this is, I was born in Croatia, grew up there (between Zagreb, Split and Belgrade Serbia) and have been in Australia since 1997. So OMG!

Also going to Croatia v Brazil. Would like to go to Audtralia v Brazil, but that is in my uncles hands if he can snare tickets for us.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
My team for phase 1.

--------------------Ricardo
---------Metzelder--Terry--Marquez
Ballack--Gerrard---Neved------Kaka
-------Messi-----Ronaldo---Kuyt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)