The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (5 Viewers)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
As for who I would like to see win the World Cup and why?....

Obviously I want Portugal to win the World Cup. Amongst many other things, it would be awesome if we could win because we are the only team remaining that has never won it. I would also love to see the legendary Luis Figo go out as a winner. Força Portugal! :)

As for Germany, they copped alot of criticism before the tournament began and I, too, had major doubts about the quality of their side. However, despite such criticisms directed towards the German players and coach...they have been the most consistent performers in the tournament so far. They have also played with a much faster, more attacking- focussed and entertaining style in comparison to previous campaigns. If they were to win, I think that it would be great for the German fans to see their national team win on home soil. In any case, they would certainly be deserving winners based on what we have seen of them so far.

As for France, their players and coach have copped similar criticisms, and they have also exceeded the expectations of such people. Although i'm not a big fan of France, I would be happy for Zidane if they won. He is a legend and thouroughly deserves to go out a winner. France would be deserving winners of the World Cup simply because they were able to knock out Brasil!

As for Italy, if they win the World Cup...you will be hearing about the murder of Grosso by a crazy Aussie fan on the news the very next morning.

In conclusion: Portugal >>>>>> Germany > France > x > Italy

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
AcStyle* said:
He went to Japan as a student when he was 16, so he didnt originally go for footballing reasons. Plus he speaks fluent Japanese...i saw him on a game show when i was over there last yr.
I'm sure there are plenty of others who can speak fluent Japanese too.

But do you honestly think that he'll receive Japanese citizenship if he wasn't a footballer...? I don't think so. But oh well that's how things go.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm torn between France and Germany as to who I want to win the tournament, which is odd because a few days ago I would've supported Germany hands down, but the performance against Brazil, combined with the fact that Zidane is just pure class, argggg. I'll support both for now and decide if they both make the final :p

EDIT: Note that I don't hate Portugal either, they've played beautifully throughout the whole tournament and Deco/Ronaldo/Figo in particular make their games very interesting.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
omfg i haven't been playing attention since the 'incident' game but Brazil lost to France? wtf?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
transcendent said:
omfg i haven't been playing attention since the 'incident' game but Brazil lost to France? wtf?
Yup, score is now 'dinho 1, Henry 1, with hopefully another rematch in next years UCL. :p

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I'd like to see Germany win, for good ol' Klinsi.
And Houllier coaching us is now leaning towards unlikely, at least according to the SMH today

HSC
i think i might haul ass out of bed to watch the semis (too lazy when it was quarters). anyway i hope germany and france go through to the finals, that'd be a good show.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
what are you're betting tips tonight and tomorrow?

tempco

HSC
Not betting, but my predictions are:

Portugal v France (2-1)
Germany v Italy (1-0)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC

Haha that site's awful.

Tonight I think Germany to win 2-0. Tomorrow France to win 1-0

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
politik said:
I really don't want Germany to win. Any team that heads into the World Cup with such an abysmal team and an excellent run to the Quarters, should not be there. But, then again maybe they do deserve to be there?
They beat Argentina and Sweden on the way, which is nothing to be sneezed at.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
politik said:
I really don't want Germany to win. Any team that heads into the World Cup with such an abysmal team and an excellent run to the Quarters, should not be there. But, then again maybe they do deserve to be there?
Germany definitely deserve to be there. If you have watched all of their games, you would know that they have been very consistent and great to watch. They showed enough against Argentina to suggest that they should be in the final 4.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Due to the flawed FIFA rankings I don't think we'll be moving up that far, but it should definitely be some improvement

flamingphoenix

HSC
politik said:
Some good news, the next FIFA World Rankings are out on the 12th, so I assume Australia will be somewhere above Nigeria which is currently 11th, Egypt which is 17th, and Greece which is 20th. Lol.
u could assume that, but u'd b deadly wrong...fifa hates us, hence the whole 'stripping oceania of their automatic place' fiasco a few years ago. but yes, theoretically we should be top 25 or higher...personally, i doubt we will b though :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
flamingphoenix said:
u could assume that, but u'd b deadly wrong...fifa hates us, hence the whole 'stripping oceania of their automatic place' fiasco a few years ago. but yes, theoretically we should be top 25 or higher...personally, i doubt we will b though :(
It's an algorithm dude :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)