The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
Pace_T said:
piss off
GO ITALY!!!!!!!!!!
I can say what I please.

If Italy win, I hope they feel shallow and emply as they have won through being bigger princesses than three year old girls and superior divers than chinese olmpians.

Jiga

You must be kidding, Australia couldn't even get near the Italian goals when Italy was a man down, whereas Italy was constanly hanging around the Aussie goals, if by some act of god Australia beat Italy by dragging the game into 120 and fluking the penalties (the only way Aus could possibly even begin to hope to win the Italy game)
As someone mentioned, you really have no idea. Apart from the fact that we totally dominated in attack in the second half, so your wrong, there was a VERY good chance we would have beaten Italy in extra time. Why my intellectually challenged friend? Australia was playing for extra time.... you may have noted if you paid any attention : Our first changes were made with only 10mins left on the clock, while the Italians made their changes well before this, and then on top of this we still had one man fresh on the bench to come, no doubt it would have been Kennedy, who had a profound impact in all games he played when coming off the bench. And not mention that Australia was beginning to get a name for being a very fit side. So in light of all of this, you are an idiot.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
brogan77 said:
Meh, everyone get off Italy's back.

They're there.

They played well.

Deal with it.
woah... *agrees with brogan*

Italy is a really good team! The diving is really just a way to draw fouls, if Ausies knew how to dive half as much as the Italians, we may still be in the world cup :p

http://www.slate.com/id/2144625
read that ^^^ very interesting!

Oh, and I know the penalty against Neil wasn't justified, but I do believe he should have stayed on his feet; the risk of doing such a thing in the penalty box is great, and he payed for it. Many argue that he obstructed the Italian's path to goal, does that deserve a penalty against him? I'm not so sure; but nevertheless, it was a pretty stupid thing to do.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
As someone mentioned, you really have no idea. Apart from the fact that we totally dominated in attack in the second half, so your wrong, there was a VERY good chance we would have beaten Italy in extra time. Why my intellectually challenged friend? Australia was playing for extra time.... you may have noted if you paid any attention : Our first changes were made with only 10mins left on the clock, while the Italians made their changes well before this, and then on top of this we still had one man fresh on the bench to come, no doubt it would have been Kennedy, who had a profound impact in all games he played when coming off the bench. And not mention that Australia was beginning to get a name for being a very fit side. So in light of all of this, you are an idiot.
You see the thing is I spent a great deal of my life (half) in Europe, I've seen world cup standard teams play, and I can tell you that there was little realistic chance Australia was going to win that match, and while I generally support Australia, I'm not going to spew crap like "we were wronged" becuase the fact is, Italy had a far superior team and were technically speaking, playing much better on the night. For example - a 10 man italy team managed 7 shots on target, as opposed to 11 man Australia's 4 - and the Australian ones were kicks pretty much any keeper in the cup couldve easily saved.

You say that Australia was playing for extra time, well any team who plays for something as uncertain as extra time deserves to lose, especially against a 10 man team. But just for a second lets pretend Australia got into extra time, and plodded along with the same zero goal scoring abilities and scramble defence until the penalties, thats assuming that the Australian managed not to trip over themselves like Neill, what then? Ownage in the penalties, Buffon is arguably one of the best keepers in the cup and Shcwarzer is nothing special, certainly not a good chance to stop the kind of kicking we saw the Italians do against Germany, I believe Totti provided the preview of the potential Aus-Italy pen shootout.

So in summary, Australia had a very good run, they certainly got further than expected given the general standard of play, definitely up there with Japan and Croatia, look forward to many more round of 16 defeats in the future.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Italy has by far been playing the best football in the tournament, diving aside. Australia were extremely lucky not to be 3 or 4-0 down in the first half and were not creating anything in the second half. I still can't understand why everyone thinks Australia were the better team in that game.

Against Germany, Italy were far superior. They dropped off a bit in the second half, but Lippi brought on the right players at the right time without really changing the tactics. Germany were all over the place and struggling to string passes together while Italy were clinical. I suspected at the start of the tournament that Italy would make it this far, but their draw with the US made me think otherwise. However, Italy are definitely favourites to win it now and good on them. They have played good, attractive football even though cunts like Materazzi and Totti were more effective on the ground than on their feet.

dddman

Banned
HSC
bshoc said:
So the Italians didnt need their strikers to put in a goal? Thanks for adding to my case. Self-ownage your specialty?
pfft, who scored and what is his position dumb ass, on their last sub their brought back their striker. Fuck your more stupid then an inbred.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
I think we would have beaten Ukraine though :p
Potentially, unlikely though with that defence and with Shevy and Voronin up the front.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Re: Proof that Grosso did not dive

bazookajoe said:
France ftw, just wanna see Ronaldo cry again :)
Yeah, Ronaldo will definitely be crying again tomorrow morning...

he will be crying tears of joy after he scores the decisive goal against France:)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bshoc said:
You say that Australia was playing for extra time, well any team who plays for something as uncertain as extra time deserves to lose, especially against a 10 man team. But just for a second lets pretend Australia got into extra time, and plodded along with the same zero goal scoring abilities and scramble defence until the penalties, thats assuming that the Australian managed not to trip over themselves like Neill, what then? Ownage in the penalties, Buffon is arguably one of the best keepers in the cup and Shcwarzer is nothing special, certainly not a good chance to stop the kind of kicking we saw the Italians do against Germany, I believe Totti provided the preview of the potential Aus-Italy pen shootout.
Ever heard of tactics? Extra-time isn't uncertain. It may have been in the golden-goal WC years, however, having an extra 30 minutes is a great tactic. Australia knew that Italy was going to play a tough defense, and move players back especially since they only had 10 men. Guus knew that Italy had exhausted their subs. Guus knew that Italy was completely tired and started making errors around their own box.

Also, italy has historically been shocking at penalty shootouts. Have they ever even won one at world cup level? Next, schwarzer is excellent in penalties at international and league level.

Sure, we can still debate if we'd have won, even though I'm arguing we would have won in extra time considering how italy was slowly falling apart, but really the game should not have finished then with a penalty.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bshoc said:
Well retard it was Totti, and he plays midfield. You may have to go to wikipedia to confirm that since it seems you know jack shit about the game.
actually totti has been played as a forward this world cup.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
actually totti has been played as a forward this world cup.
Italy's forwards are Del Piero, Luca Toni, Gilardino, Iaquinta and Inzaghi.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Ever heard of tactics? Extra-time isn't uncertain. It may have been in the golden-goal WC years, however, having an extra 30 minutes is a great tactic. Australia knew that Italy was going to play a tough defense, and move players back especially since they only had 10 men. Guus knew that Italy had exhausted their subs. Guus knew that Italy was completely tired and started making errors around their own box.

Also, italy has historically been shocking at penalty shootouts. Have they ever even won one at world cup level? Next, schwarzer is excellent in penalties at international and league level.

Sure, we can still debate if we'd have won, even though I'm arguing we would have won in extra time considering how italy was slowly falling apart, but really the game should not have finished then with a penalty.
I agree with everything you say there...but there is not really much point in crying over spilt milk. We can't change what happened and can only congratulate Italy for making it to the final. Grosso dived, and I hate him for this...but he is not the only one. Thierry Henry took a dive against Spain that led to a decisive France goal. This was uncharacteristic of him, but it was still cheating.

Aussie supporters can only hope that justice is served by Italy being defeated in the final.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
In your book "falling apart" means that a 10 man Italy team can still pull off twice as much concerted shots at the goals than Australia?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bshoc said:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/international?id=10293&league=fifa.world&cc=3436
Position: forward

bshoc said:
In your book "falling apart" means that a 10 man Italy team can still pull off twice as much concerted shots at the goals than Australia?
No, falling apart means they stop being able to keep up with some players. They start passing back to their own goalie very dangerously, etc.
And did you watch the second half? Australia dominated the shooting.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
bshoc said:
Well retard it was Totti, and he plays midfield. You may have to go to wikipedia to confirm that since it seems you know jack shit about the game.
Totti plays in "hole" just behind the out and out striker - he's neither a striker nor a midfielder.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
bshoc said:
Funnily enough, some people can play different positions. Neill plays a wing back for club, but played centre back for Australia.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
With the Aussies and the Argies out, then the attack-happy Germans following, France is my hands-down choice with the teams now on offer, it's an age-old habit to not watch sports as a neutral. I thought of the players I like, and would therefore like to see emerge tonight (then go on to beat Italy). For France, Zizou and Thuram. For Portugal, not a single player I have ever liked. Actually, between Italy and Portugal, I think there's only about 3-4 players whom I don't in fact mind, and they're all Italian. To save me the anguish of watching a Portugal v. Italy Final, which will no doubt be littered with nancies and theatrics, enough to get football bashed for another couple of years Downunder, I'm desperate for Thuram and Zizou to make it through tomorrow morning.

Bonne France de chance. Battre ces Portugese. Vous avez une date dans Berlin.
Quoi que l'issue, Zizou, vous êtes le meilleur. Simplement maginifique. Merci pour les mémoires. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)