The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
nwatts said:
Check out this smh article - http://www.smh.com.au/news/world-cu...-enraged-zidane/2006/07/10/1152383666505.html

With the concluding lines: Posts on internet forums have suggested there was a racist comment made referring to Zidane's Algerian background, with some suggesting a nipple tweak may have infuriated Zidane.

Haha.. wtf?

I think the nipple-tweak thing was started off in the BBC Forums of all places. Very sad that it's all come down to this.

The debate continues everywhere.

nwatts

HSC
Paragon said:
I think the nipple-tweak thing was started off in the BBC Forums of all places. Very sad that it's all come down to this.

The debate continues everywhere.
Bah, leave the ref out of it. Strait red was exactly in order. Fans would have gone insane if he was given a yellow, Buffon would have cracked a hernia.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Certainly was a nipple tweaking incident. Zidane was so turned on by the nipple tweaking that he proceeded to give Materazzi head.

jesus.is.lord

HSC
Maybe FIFA should think about introducing some new games rules

1. Diving allowed
2. Insulting other players especially with racist remarks
3. Officials allowed to check video replay before making decisions

and their motto
The More Dirtier, The More Fair

sly fly

HSC
YBK said:
Why didn't Italy deserve to win? The french were playing pretty dirty soccer.

If you want to talk like that, then I'd say France don't deserve to be in the final; their performance against Portugal was less than convincing, with a dive to snatch them the game.
I didn't get to watch the whole Portugal game but from what I watched, you're right, France was playing poorly (didn't see the dive though).

Italy didn't deserve to win for the following reasons:

1. All over, they are simply not as skilled as the French players.

2. Italy has very very poor control of the ball.

3. Italy play very dirty. This is the main reason I dislike Italy so much and why they don't deserve to win. They just play very unethically and their win was nothing more than lots of luck and cheating. They fake injuries, foul people, and waste time left right nd centre. Italy is not a bad team but they definitely aren't the best there is and they just play too dirty. Someone mentioned that France aren't saints either - that's true.......but compared to Italy they are saints. France do occasionally play dirty (as all teams do) but it's nowhere near as much as Italy.

Words are only words. Actions speak louder and Zidane surely did act.
Personally, I think making racial slurs (which is probably the case as has been said on French news) that are uncalled for is worse than headbutting somebody. Words are often alot more painful and insulting than being hurt physically. Not to mention that Matarazzi first held Zidane, and then insulted him - he started it. Anyway, they both deserved a red card.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Aww, give me a break!
It was like 4 am when I spelt it wrong, like a gazillion times.
I have had no sleep - and I was like... majorly pissed.
Fuck spelling at that hour of the morning, without any sleep . Heh.
Plus.. I'm french (well half) and the french are always shit at spelling .
Hah. That's my excuse.
Eitehr that, or I had a little too much to drink this...morning.
Holy crap.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol. no. even at 4am, spelling only a single word wrong out of hundreds over and over again is inexcusable. Especially when you're french. GO ZADINE!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sly fly said:
Personally, I think making racial slurs (which is probably the case as has been said on French news) that are uncalled for is worse than headbutting somebody. Words are often alot more painful and insulting than being hurt physically. Not to mention that Matarazzi first held Zidane, and then insulted him - he started it. Anyway, they both deserved a red card.
A player should be used to slurs and other comments. It comes with the game. I really doubt zidane was 'hurt' and if he was, he's a pansy. I'd also rather someone call me a Russian albino faghole than headbutt me in the chest.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yay, July 2007, we win the Asia cup. It'd actually be quite a big deal as there are some tough opponents and winning the cup would give our country a huge boost.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Bunny04 said:
Well Hey..
At least I'm a french....French supporter.
O__o
that messed with my head.
Ok, you're also half-Asian. we get it.

sly fly

HSC
stazi said:
A player should be used to slurs and other comments. It comes with the game. I really doubt zidane was 'hurt' and if he was, he's a pansy. I'd also rather someone call me a Russian albino faghole than headbutt me in the chest.
Not hurt, more like angered lol. As to what would be worse, it would really depend on exactly what was said and something tells me that what was said was extremelyyy offensive.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sly fly said:
One of the few other white players in the team (Ribery) is also Muslim. So to answer your question, racial comments don't necessarily have to be about colour but can also be about race or religion.
Colour is, in general, an indicator of race, and religion has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
Colour is, in general, an indicator of race, and religion has nothing to do with it.
Wrong. Race has to do with ethnicity, not "colour".

fush

HSC
sly fly said:
3. Italy play very dirty. This is the main reason I dislike Italy so much and why they don't deserve to win. They just play very unethically and their win was nothing more than lots of luck and cheating. They fake injuries, foul people, and waste time left right and centre.
Sorry but what game were u watching. Wasn't it France that got awarded a dubious penalty ( clear dive) which then bounced off the cross bar, in the goal and back out. And wasn't it Italy that hit the cross bar and was cancelled a goal.

And to talk about Fair Play. Henry stopped the game for a good 2 minutes at the very start. He looked almost dead but suddenely came back to life without any trouble. And then the Zidane incident...

Also what 'cheating' do you refer to exactly?

at the end it was actually barthez and france wasting time to reach the penalties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)