The Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread (2 Viewers)

onur91

HSC
N/A
Australia's hopes are very grim.

If Germany beats Ghana 2-0, Australia must beat Serbia 4-0 (highly doubt)
If Germany win 3-0, then Australia must win 3-0.
If by fluke, Ghana beats Germany, then all Australia has to do is win.
So I guess, go Ghana!

So yeah....Australia has to rely on luck, and hopefully some skill.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Hopefully FIFA are giving Ghana a helping hand and Germany cop some reds and penalties

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Australia's hopes are very grim.

If Germany beats Ghana 2-0, Australia must beat Serbia 4-0 (highly doubt)
If Germany win 3-0, then Australia must win 3-0.
If by fluke, Ghana beats Germany, then all Australia has to do is win.
So I guess, go Ghana!

So yeah....Australia has to rely on luck, and hopefully some skill.
In those situations we'd actually only have to win 3-0 and 2-0 respectively. It would put us on the same goal difference as Ghana but more goals for.

Also Aus 1-0 Serbia and Germany 4-0 Ghana would mean drawing of lots for second place (if my calculations are correct).

But I would much prefer Ghana and Aus win so those German kuntz don't progress.

Last edited:
HSC
Since:
a) Ghana = Australia, Australia < Germany: Therefore Germany wins
b) Ghana > Serbia, Serbia > Germany: Therefore Ghana wins
lols

of course the handball wasn't intentional..but still it's a red card offence since kewell was the last man (and if he wasn't there it would've been a goal. therefore penalty + red card as opposed to vidic's and kuzmanovic's handballs which were yellow card offences + penalty - as they weren't obstructing the goal)
was it handball? questionable

ghana is the only team in group D that hasn't copped a red card yet!!

onur91

HSC
N/A
In those situations we'd actually only have to win 3-0 and 2-0 respectively. It would put us on the same goal difference as Ghana but more goals for.

Also Aus 1-0 Serbia and Germany 4-0 Ghana would mean drawing of lots for second place (if my calculations are correct).

But I would much prefer Ghana and Aus win so those German kuntz don't progress.
Yeah it will, but other factors will be considered as well. Australia losing 4-0 to Germany has done great damage, and if the points and goal difference are equal in the end for us and Ghana, then it wouldn't be easy for Australia to just pass on through to the last 16.

Safest bet is for Ghana to beat Germany, and Australia would just have to win against Serbia. But I am highly doubtful of Ghana beating Germany. They have only scored two goals, and both were from penalties.

onur91

HSC
N/A
Yeah it's like the refs have been manufactured in a cunt factory, nestled away somewhere in the cold and unforgiving Siberian forests.

Chrissiieee

HSC
i beg to differ, the ref was better much better in some aspects than other refs
he didn't give give out soft fouls, although i still don't understand the red card decision

i miss playing football so much after watching that match

but socceroos :(
so devastated

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It was a clear red. If you perform a deliberate foul to prevent a certain goal, you're off.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Also these last couple of games are going to be a lot more erratic than people think. So far all four games of this group have had red cards.

HalcyonSky

HSC
It was a clear red. If you perform a deliberate foul to prevent a certain goal, you're off.
were you watching the same game we were?

he had his arms by his sides, as the ball came towards him he moved to his right and made the natural movements anyone would make if they intended to chest the ball away, and it ended up hitting him on the bicep. If you look at the position his legs are in and where his bodyweight is centered its a natural physiological movement to have you arm slightly out yet still by your side as he did

and considering the speed the ball was coming at him there was absolutely no chance for him to move his arm away against the instinctive position it was in

the rule is there to send off players who deliberately deny a goal in an obviously unsportsmanlike manner, not to send them off for simple accidents of human physiology, the refs discretion in this one was undeniably terrible

onur91

HSC
N/A
were you watching the same game we were?

he had his arms by his sides, as the ball came towards him he moved to his right and made the natural movements anyone would make if they intended to chest the ball away, and it ended up hitting him on the bicep. If you look at the position his legs are in and where his bodyweight is centered its a natural physiological movement to have you arm slightly out yet still by your side as he did

and considering the speed the ball was coming at him there was absolutely no chance for him to move his arm away against the instinctive position it was in

the rule is there to send off players who deliberately deny a goal in an obviously unsportsmanlike manner, not to send them off for simple accidents of human physiology, the refs discretion in this one was undeniably terrible
True. The ref should have just given the penalty and left it at that. Kewell did seem to try and chest the ball but was obviously not quick enough. Bullshit call by the ref.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
True. The ref should have just given the penalty and left it at that. Kewell did seem to try and chest the ball but was obviously not quick enough. Bullshit call by the ref.
You can't call handball in that situation and not give a red card. Either it was handball + red + penalty, or no handball + no red + no penalty.

"If a player deliberately handles the ball to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity (e.g., to prevent a breakaway or to deliberately stop a shot), a red card should be given and the player "sent off". However, a hand ball foul should not be called if: (1) a player is instinctively trying to protect himself from injury or (2) the player did not deliberately touch the ball but the ball hit his arm & he did not move the arm toward the ball (however, if the player's arms were in an unnatural position such as above his shoulders or sticking out to the sides, then he should be called for a handball)"

Edit: in this case "did not move the arm toward the ball" could be violated by as little as a 1mm movement. Could have gone either way.

Last edited:

Deathless

HSC
Oh well...

Just hope that Germany gets a lot of reds and Ghana scores one.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
why are you people still hoping australia will miraculously make it into the next round...

its not like any of you are die hard socceroos fans, coz there arnt any.

get over it, bandwagon argentina/brazil, celebrate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)