The Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread (1 Viewer)

twistedrebel

HSC
i expected germany to win, but not by this margin.
Also Germans are using 2 students, who analyse hours and hours of footage, cut it down to 8-10minutes to give to the players. They first used it against england, and now against Argentina

twistedrebel

HSC
Also Germans are using 2 students, who analyse hours and hours of footage, cut it down to 8-10minutes to give to the players. They first used it against england, and now against Argentina

DFTP

HSC
No doubt the students will now watch footage of Jose Mourinho beating Barcelona to no end.

Deathless

HSC
Is that all you think about? ;)
It would be pretty fun to watch. Haqve you seen Maradonna? During the Argentina v. Germany game, he could barely walk; let alone pick up/kick a ball or run.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
blah

all i have to say is
GO SPAIN

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
blah

all i have to say is
GO SPAIN

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
Spain can't win. They are the European champions of soccer. And world champions of F1, Cycling, Basketball and tennis.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

And I thought Australia was a sporting nation.

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
Torres hits form - Spain wins.
Spain are still the best squad in the cup. Although based on current form you'd have to say Germany look the more likely.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Spain can't win. They are the European champions of soccer. And world champions of F1, Cycling, Basketball and tennis.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

And I thought Australia was a sporting nation.
Button and Hamilton are British.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
“I don’t even like Football, I’m just here for the Party”

These words ring in my ears, even after I have arrived back in Australia, after a three and a half week tour of South Africa. And I didn’t hear this sort of phrase once, but countless amounts of times. What do you say to this? Do you look down on this person and call them a part timer or do you try to educate them on what football is all about…Here’s my story on some Australian Fans during the World Cup and some education for you non-believers

Why didn’t you just go to Bali Mate, you could have done the same thing for a hell of a lot cheaper” Was my reply to the person who muttered those words in the first line. Majority of the time, these were the same people who were distraught after that fateful night in Durban where our Socceroos got taken to the proverbial cleaners by a clinical German side. I will admit, blind Freddy could have seen that we had 11 passengers on the Park that day, let alone countless amounts of pissed, cashed-up, Bogans. Now I don’t want to tar everyone with the same brush because Australia had some great fans over in South Africa, and I for one heard from plenty of praise from other fans from other countries, that they thought Australia had some of the best supporters in the World Cup, but we will pat ourselves on the back and move on.

Simply, coming out of the woodwork and supporting your country by rocking up to a World Cup, paying your money to a Tour Company and to FIFA for your tickets, is not supporting Football in Australia. Yes, it’s supporting the boys on the park for ninety minutes, but support needs to go further than that. How is it that we can get approximately 35,000 Australians to a World Cup in South Africa, but only 20,000 to a Socceroos’ game in our own country? Alas the World Cup Bandwagon is alive and well.

Let’s turn this bandwagon, into a snowball. If you want Australia to succeed in future football tournaments, here’s some simple tips to start the wagon/snowball rolling… It all starts with you…

Get Educated

Now Billy Bogan, Outlandish comments like the following will make you look like a tosser…

“Oh another 0-0 draw, what was the point of the last 90 minutes”- Ironically this comment comes from the same people who will sit around and watch 5 days of cricket to get no result.

“Sokka is for Girls and Wogs” If its good enough for Steve Waugh and Ron Barrassi to support the game, its good enough for you Bruce.

“Sokka is going to kill my beloved AFL” – Get a grip son, they are played at different times of the
Year

“If Australia doesn’t make the World Cup its all over - Wake up Jeff, we didn’t make a World Cup for 32 years, and I guarantee we will miss out again, Welcome to football…

Support grass-roots Football

Buy an A-league membership. Yes even I’ll agree that the A-league has a long way to go, but this attitude that “the standard is crap, so I’d rather stay up until 4am and watch 2 European teams in which I have no connection to over supporting the local lads”. This doesn’t wash with me, how do you expect it to get better if you don’t support it? Supporting the A-league and Grass-roots is indirectly supporting the National teams.

Get involved with your local club, Get your kids involved, you never know, Little Johnny might be spark we need to get one over the Germans in 2022.

Become a football fan

Being an Australian football fan, isn’t just about supporting the Socceroos or your A-league Club or even your local club, its about supporting the good of the game in Australia. Supporting the game at junior level now means will be advantageous by the time those kids hit seniors level, so lets get that snowball rolling and take the handbrake off the bandwagon.

And for the love of god….Save your Aussie Aussie Aussie for the cricket…

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC

These words ring in my ears, even after I have arrived back in Australia, after a three and a half week tour of South Africa. And I didn’t hear this sort of phrase once, but countless amounts of times. What do you say to this? Do you look down on this person and call them a part timer or do you try to educate them on what football is all about…Here’s my story on some Australian Fans during the World Cup and some education for you non-believers

Why didn’t you just go to Bali Mate, you could have done the same thing for a hell of a lot cheaper” Was my reply to the person who muttered those words in the first line. Majority of the time, these were the same people who were distraught after that fateful night in Durban where our Socceroos got taken to the proverbial cleaners by a clinical German side. I will admit, blind Freddy could have seen that we had 11 passengers on the Park that day, let alone countless amounts of pissed, cashed-up, Bogans. Now I don’t want to tar everyone with the same brush because Australia had some great fans over in South Africa, and I for one heard from plenty of praise from other fans from other countries, that they thought Australia had some of the best supporters in the World Cup, but we will pat ourselves on the back and move on.

Simply, coming out of the woodwork and supporting your country by rocking up to a World Cup, paying your money to a Tour Company and to FIFA for your tickets, is not supporting Football in Australia. Yes, it’s supporting the boys on the park for ninety minutes, but support needs to go further than that. How is it that we can get approximately 35,000 Australians to a World Cup in South Africa, but only 20,000 to a Socceroos’ game in our own country? Alas the World Cup Bandwagon is alive and well.

Let’s turn this bandwagon, into a snowball. If you want Australia to succeed in future football tournaments, here’s some simple tips to start the wagon/snowball rolling… It all starts with you…

Get Educated

Now Billy Bogan, Outlandish comments like the following will make you look like a tosser…

“Oh another 0-0 draw, what was the point of the last 90 minutes”- Ironically this comment comes from the same people who will sit around and watch 5 days of cricket to get no result.

“Sokka is for Girls and Wogs” If its good enough for Steve Waugh and Ron Barrassi to support the game, its good enough for you Bruce.

“Sokka is going to kill my beloved AFL” – Get a grip son, they are played at different times of the
Year

“If Australia doesn’t make the World Cup its all over - Wake up Jeff, we didn’t make a World Cup for 32 years, and I guarantee we will miss out again, Welcome to football…

Buy an A-league membership. Yes even I’ll agree that the A-league has a long way to go, but this attitude that “the standard is crap, so I’d rather stay up until 4am and watch 2 European teams in which I have no connection to over supporting the local lads”. This doesn’t wash with me, how do you expect it to get better if you don’t support it? Supporting the A-league and Grass-roots is indirectly supporting the National teams.

Get involved with your local club, Get your kids involved, you never know, Little Johnny might be spark we need to get one over the Germans in 2022.

Become a football fan

Being an Australian football fan, isn’t just about supporting the Socceroos or your A-league Club or even your local club, its about supporting the good of the game in Australia. Supporting the game at junior level now means will be advantageous by the time those kids hit seniors level, so lets get that snowball rolling and take the handbrake off the bandwagon.

Well said, especially the last part. Myself and a few other Green & Gold Army members had that same problem with people at the Australia V New Zealand game in Melbourne.

Didn't travel to South Africa but have been going to all Socceroos matches the whole qualifying campaign and friendles here in Australia and two overseas (South Korea in Seoul last September & Japan in Yokohama last February). Supporting the Socceroos is amazing (especially with fellow diehard supporters) there's nothing that compares to it here in Australia. I went to the Dragons V Tigers match last Friday (1st NRL game I've been to in 5 years) and honestly, the atmosphere does not compare at all to a Socceroos game or an A-League game, it is absolute shit, now I remember why I stopped going in the first place.

Which tour did you go on by the way? Hopefully not the Fanatics, they're fucking shit cunts who overcharge trying to squeeze every dime out of you.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
Three socceroos post World Cup friendlies announced:

11th August: Australia V Slovenia in Ljubljana
3rd September: Australia V Switzerland in St. Gall
7th September: Australia V Poland in Krakow

Home game/games for October and/or November should be announced sometime soon.

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC

Get Educated

Year

Become a football fan

I agree with lots of what you just said but the truth is Australian sports fans are just that "sports" fans. They're bandwagon jumpers who have no interest other than seeing their country win. They have no love of the game like you or I and it's wishful thinking to believe they are going to give up their time to see a local club toil through a season in a sport they can only just tolerate at it's highest standard.

Although I don't particularly agree with your point about not making the world cup. I think Australian football is poised very delicately and if we were to miss out on a world cup, that eight years of football out of the public spotlight could have devastating effects at all levels

As for supporting local teams rather than European teams. Call me crazy but what other than good will is supposed to drive me two hours away to watch a newly created club that is neither local nor particularly exciting in Sydney FC rather than stay up to 2am watching a team that despite the fact it isn't local, plays in one of the world's best leagues and I have managed to build up a strong emotional connection to over my lifetime in Liverpool FC.

I find it criminal that the A-League can leave such a strong footballing area like Wollongong without a team in the national comp yet the likes of Gold Coast and Far North Queensland get one. The way the domestic comp is set up is entirely based around money-grabbing in the short-term rather than supporting grassroots football and letting fans become emotionally invested in a club. That all being said I have gone to see plenty of Sydney FC games over the past 5 years, including watching nearly every away game on TV and apart from the first year with Dwight Yorke, I'm yet to be convinced by the competition. I understand your point is that with time it will grow, but that doesn't seem to be the direction that those up high are moving towards.

You're point about the national team playing at home is right though. I sat in the cheer squad right behind the goal in our 2-0 win over Uzbekistan that all but cemented our place in the World Cup and I was surprised how quiet it was. I've been to local club games with more passion.

Last edited:

jasonn

HSC
50 bucks on spain... IN PAUL I TRUST!

but i have a feeling germany will win... damn octopus!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)