The Official Cricket Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
it will be awesome but this long tri-series is way too long and pointless, they need to change the format and rejuvenate it a bit i think. although, it will be better as eng and nz are pretty good teams and good rivals with aus.

HannahMc

HSC
HotShot said:
shit windies won by one run against India. was ab awesome match.
Games like that are absolutely amazing. It's the reason I first got into cricket: my first match was one in which Australia beat England by only one or two runs... I was on the edge of my seat for the entire game!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Windies win the ODI series, have a feeling they wont do as well in the tests. but u never know with lara.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
plenty of aus vs nz tix left, i might get some tomorrow for the Walters stand, or the other one across from it cant remember the name.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
nathan hauritz signed a contract to play for the NSW Blues...woot woot...my two fav playas (who are under 25yrs) in the same team :)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
woohoo got tickets to every single day of cricket in sydney

took an hour of refreshing though

im stoked
lucky cunt, pommies are putting them on on ebay for like $1200AUD for 1 day, fucking :|

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
hey thats kool...so the aussies have chance this summer *dances*

whos the third team this summer??

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
New Zealand will be the dark horses =D , Shane Bond for president!

sideshowtim

HSC
Bond will probably injur himself somehow. For a bowler of immense talent, it's disappointing that he hasn't played as much as he should've due to silly little injuries. Can't wait for the Champions Trophy to see the return of McGrath. He may even return for the warm-up tournament against India and the West Indies. :)

sideshowtim

HSC
He always comes back and then hurts himself again. He's a fabulous fast bowler trapped in the body of a 90 year old.

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
How good is Jayawardene, another century on top of his 374. shame the saffers can't convert their one day form into tests another los for them

HotShot

-_-
HSC
poor Jones:

Dean Jones sacked after 'terrorist' remark

Cricinfo staff

August 7, 2006

'I have no end of respect for the Muslim faith - that's why I'm so sorry at making such a stupid comment' © Getty Images

Dean Jones, the former Australia Test batsman turned TV commentator, has been sacked by his employers, Ten Sports, after being heard calling Hashim Amla a 'terrorist' on live television during the fourth day's play between Sri Lanka and South Africa at Colombo.

When Amla, who is a devout Muslim, took the catch to dismiss Kumar Sangakkara, Jones was heard to say "the terrorist has got another wicket".

"The switchboards of both Cricket South Africa and SuperSport, that takes a feed of the broadcast to South African audiences, have been jammed with calls from some very angry people," Gerald Majola, Cricket South Africa's chief executive, said.

Shortly after Majola's statement was released Jones was spotted at Colombo airport where he made a statement to journalists. "I'm gone, I'm on the 1am flight," he admitted. "It was a silly and completely insensitive thing to say and, obviously, it was never supposed to be heard over the air. I am truly sorry to have caused offence to anybody and the last thing I intended was to be disrespectful.

"Everyone needs to get away from perpetuating the myth, publicly and privately, that beards associated with the Muslim faith are somehow suspicious, and I intend to do exactly that. The irony is that I am great friends with most of the Pakistan team and they are all Muslims.

"I have no end of respect for the Muslim faith - that's why I'm so sorry at making such a stupid comment," he said. "It does not represent who I am, how I think or what I believe. I will be the first person to apologise to Hashim as soon as I get the chance, and I will assure him that prejudice against anybody, on any basis, is unacceptable and not something I will ever condone."

Majola added that "this kind of insulting racial stereotyping has no place in cricket and must be stamped on swiftly. The ICC has strongly condemned racism and we will be discussing the matter with them."

sideshowtim

HSC
While it was a silly thing to say, it wasn't "racist" as your religion isn't a race. I think our society is becoming a bit too politically correct, and I don't condone what he said, although I'm sure it was just a slip of the tongue and he didn't mean it. An apology would've been okay, but getting fired is a bit too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)