The Official Cricket Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
wuddie said:
guys i have a question, shane bond vs daniel vettori - consider their eco rate, strike rate and everything. cheers
wat who is better? not an ideal comparison but Vettori would win purely cause he is fit most of the time and Bond is just injury prone. Vettori is a decent batter as well.

But Bond absolutely destroyed Australia when he played. He is damn good bowler. quick and fast.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Older batsmen could cost Australia the Ashes

Lillee fears for veteran top order

AFP

October 24, 2006

Dennis Lillee says the reflexes of Australia's older batsmen, including Justin Langer, could be slowing down © Getty Images

Dennis Lillee believes England's fast bowlers will be licking their lips at the prospect of rattling an ageing Australian top order. Lillee, who enjoyed playing against England's "Dad's Army" team of 1974-75, said Australia's senior batsmen could be the side's undoing during the Ashes series.

Justin Langer will be 36 when the first Test starts at the Gabba on November 23, while Matthew Hayden, Damien Martyn and Adam Gilchrist will all be 35. Writing in his column in the West Australian, Lillee said he welcomed the chance to bowl against ageing England batsmen such as Colin Cowdrey, who played in 1974-75 at the age of 42.

"Over a period of time, as a fast bowler, you get to learn that a batsman's reflexes definitely get slower as he gets older," Lillee wrote. "Mark my word, the England pace attack, mentally buoyed and on faster Australian wickets, will this summer be at their absolute peak age-wise."

Lillee said batsmen found it harder to hide problems as they got older. "I'm not having a go at individuals, it's just that this is what happens," he said. "Australia have some great players but even the greatest players get tapped on the shoulder by Father Time at some stage. We've got to wonder if that time has arrived for some of them."

Lillee said Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey were at the peak of their powers, but the possible absence of Michael Clarke and Phil Jaques would hurt Australia. Although he expects Gilchrist to perform better than in last year's Ashes, he said if the visitors could contain his explosive batting it would greatly harm Australia's cause.

He said Langer was another to face a significant challenge, having not played a Test since being hit in the head by a Makhaya Ntini delivery in April. Lillee expressed grave doubts that the home side could live up to expectations. "It's worrying how Australia, after being outplayed in England, are going to turn things around with a decidedly older team," he wrote.
Yeah its silly to hang around with players ages 35+ when you have capable younger batsman with jacques, clarke, bevo etc.
bring back bevan.

sideshowtim

HSC
Mate, Bevan is 36...Older than everyone in our team besides Warney and McGrath...

These players have something that those younger blokes like Jaques and Clarke don't have...EXPERIENCE. And experience is vital in an Ashes series like this. These guys have won Ashes series before and know what it takes. Guys like Langer will be looking to end their career with a bang...We'll be fine don't worry mate.

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
Lol, it's always mad to see ppl underestimate the aussies say they're too old and past it. Just wait till the ashes wen we dish out a good hammering to shut their gobs.

madcat939

HSC
hey when does the ashes begin between australia and england and will it be shown on tv in syd?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
AntiJap said:
Those indians will say anyhting when they don't win.
wat was wrong with watson man? wtf

yeah the aussie players apparently were allowed on the podium.. but i dont think its a big deal. i mean that pawar was just too fat.

otay

HSC
This incident is bullshit. Calling Australians 'uncivlised'. Umm ok, sounds really mature mate.

The point was, the ceremony had gone on for ages, and the guy who was doing it had concluded the ceremony, fireworks were going off, and yet Australia hadn't even been given the trophy. I mean, they were anxious, it's what happens. Then once they got it, the dude just stood there. At first when i heard about it I thought it may have been rude, but looking at it, I find it hard to believe he even felt it, slightest touch ever. The Indian media really know how to blow up at things.
Plus this dudes a politican, he most likely loves being in the limelight. And if Dravid say had've done this to Howard or Sutherland or one of them other CA dickheads, I imagine he'd be bought a beer or two from a few Australians.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
otay said:
This incident is bullshit. Calling Australians 'uncivlised'. Umm ok, sounds really mature mate.

The point was, the ceremony had gone on for ages, and the guy who was doing it had concluded the ceremony, fireworks were going off, and yet Australia hadn't even been given the trophy. I mean, they were anxious, it's what happens. Then once they got it, the dude just stood there. At first when i heard about it I thought it may have been rude, but looking at it, I find it hard to believe he even felt it, slightest touch ever. The Indian media really know how to blow up at things.
Plus this dudes a politican, he most likely loves being in the limelight. And if Dravid say had've done this to Howard or Sutherland or one of them other CA dickheads, I imagine he'd be bought a beer or two from a few Australians.
yeah, but martyn shouldnt have pushed him away - he could have just told him to leave. But only the captain was allowed on the PODIUM.

plus the aussies were unusually over-excited over the win - bit weird especially watson -the fag.

probably cos the ashes./

tigerian

HSC
N/A
melb22 said:
lil bit of controvercy. Ponting and martin pushed sharad powar from the stage after receiving the trophy. check the vid. Most of it is in hindi but some parts were tendulkar talks abt is in english

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2vvwTc1Lmv4

so what the action was totally trivial. Sharad Power should have got off stage much earlier. Its good they pushed him (well gently moved him aside anyway) it wasnt his place to even be there .Well done ricky and Damien if it happens again repeat the practice.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
tigerian said:
so what the action was totally trivial. Sharad Power should have got off stage much earlier. Its good they pushed him (well gently moved him aside anyway) it wasnt his place to even be there .Well done ricky and Damien if it happens again repeat the practice.
Actually it was his place to be there (after all he is the BCCI president) on the other hand only the captain was allowed on the podium.

Martyn had no right to push him away, he could have just asked him to move.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
That Sharad dude, or whoever the President person is, didnt even care that he got pushed off, the Indian media and people just made a big deal out of nothing. Gosh, as an Indian im just going to say that some people are stupid <_< And im talking about the Indians not the Aussies, and no offence to anyone out there. But the whole thing was just blown right out of proportion.

Anyways, GO Aussie for the Ashes :D

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
i think it's nothing at all...

if you win something.. you'll get really worked up and emotional...

he should have been understanding and walk off.... :p

Stubbs

HSC
Well the 3rd test starts tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how Symonds goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)