The Official Football Thread 08/09 (1 Viewer)

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
Jose Vs Alex !!!!

Grande Mourinho!!! Grande The Special One!!!

HSC
-----------------------Casillas-------------------------------
--Maicon-----Puyol------Ferdinand--------Evra--------
--Ronaldo----Xavi (c)-------Arshavin-----------Iniesta----
----------------Messi---------------Torres---------------
Coach: Ferguson

Champions League knockout round was drawn yesterday. Some great matches ahead, especially Internazionale vs Manchester United, Liverpool vs Real Madrid and Chelsea vs Juventus.

Chelsea v Juventus
Villareal v Panathinaikos
Sporting v Bayern Munich
Atletico v Porto
Lyon v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Liverpool
Arsenal v AS Roma
Inter Milan v Manchester United

My predictions. Bit early to call and might revise them after the transfer window, but at the moment... Juve are in decent form and I think Scolari's inexperience in European club football will cost Chelsea. They are in need of a striker as well, IMO. The second leg being played in Turin also tips it in Juve's favour.

I reckon Villareal will take care of Panathinaikos, who are one of the weakest teams left along with Sporting. Bayern are just hitting form and as I said, Sporting are one of the weakest teams left in the comp. Can't seem Bayern losing this one. Athletico are dependent on whether Aguero and Maniche have an impact, if they do I have no doubt they'll go through.

Lyon and Barcelona will be a nice free flowing match, but with Barça shaping up to be the strongest side in Europe this season, it's hard to see them losing. (This is from a fan's POV of course, so a little bias involved :p) Benzema's declaration of love for Real Madrid will certainly add an extra spice to this one. ;)

Madrid need to make some massive defensive buys in the window. Even if they don't, this will end up being a fantastic tie, especially considering Madrid's players will all be fully fit by then (assuming no injuries in the lead-up to the matches). Although, Madrid are such a circus they'll probably have a new manager by then ;)

Roma and Arsenal is a hard one to call, dependent on whether Arsenal show up on the day and whether Totti is fit. Both sides need to buy in the summer. Currently, I think Roma will edge it.

I think Internazionale will beat Manchester United. Despite Inter usually being horrible in Europe, Mourinho pretty much has Ferguson's number (in 12 meetings, Ferguson's team has only beaten him once). Hopefully "Ibrakadabra" doesn't do his usual routine and save his most famous trick for the big matches - disappearing.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Groucho Marxist said:

Champions League knockout round was drawn yesterday. Some great matches ahead, especially Internazionale vs Manchester United, Liverpool vs Real Madrid and Chelsea vs Juventus.

Chelsea v Juventus
Sporting v Bayern Munich
Atletico v Porto
Lyon v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Liverpool
Arsenal v AS Roma

My predictions. Bit early to call and might revise them after the transfer window, but at the moment... Juve are in decent form and I think Scolari's inexperience in European club football will cost Chelsea. They are in need of a striker as well, IMO. The second leg being played in Turin also tips it in Juve's favour.

I reckon Villareal will take care of Panathinaikos, who are one of the weakest teams left along with Sporting. Bayern are just hitting form and as I said, Sporting are one of the weakest teams left in the comp. Can't seem Bayern losing this one. Athletico are dependent on whether Aguero and Maniche have an impact, if they do I have no doubt they'll go through.

Lyon and Barcelona will be a nice free flowing match, but with Barça shaping up to be the strongest side in Europe this season, it's hard to see them losing. (This is from a fan's POV of course, so a little bias involved :p) Benzema's declaration of love for Real Madrid will certainly add an extra spice to this one. ;)

Madrid need to make some massive defensive buys in the window. Even if they don't, this will end up being a fantastic tie, especially considering Madrid's players will all be fully fit by then (assuming no injuries in the lead-up to the matches). Although, Madrid are such a circus they'll probably have a new manager by then ;)

Roma and Arsenal is a hard one to call, dependent on whether Arsenal show up on the day and whether Totti is fit. Both sides need to buy in the summer. Currently, I think Roma will edge it.

I think Internazionale will beat Manchester United. Despite Inter usually being horrible in Europe, Mourinho pretty much has Ferguson's number (in 12 meetings, Ferguson's team has only beaten him once). Hopefully "Ibrakadabra" doesn't do his usual routine and save his most famous trick for the big matches - disappearing.
those are similar to my predictions cept I feel Manu will edge inter and i have nfi about arsenal/roma.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The worst draw possible for us. But I guess you gotta beat the best of them if you're going to win it.

All ties involving English teams are hard to call, but I hope Juve and Real Madrid make it through, especially the latter, since a tie against them will be just what everyone wants to see. I'm surprised when Real Madrid's name got called out and it was either Liverpool or United, it went to Liverpool. Ah well, hope Huntelaar and co. can do the job.

Inter have been grinding results out in the league, just like Mourinho. However in Europe their form has not been great. And of course playing the second leg at home gives us a slight advantage.

HSC
That's true, definitely a hard one to call. I think it'll be a close one, either way. Hard to ignore Mourinho's record at times, though.

adnan91

HSC
Groucho Marxist said:

Chelsea v Juventus
Sporting v Bayern Munich
Atletico v Porto
Lyon v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Liverpool
Arsenal v AS Roma

r any of them on sbs?

HSC
I'm no Manchester United fan (far from it) but Champions of England, Champions of Europe and Champions of the World sure does have a ring to it.

HSC
Totti has torn a muscle in his leg - he's set to miss the first leg of Roma's Champions League match against Arsenal. It's a big blow to Roma, but don't get your hopes up too high yet, Gooners. Nothing is set in stone.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
fabregas is also out of that, no?
Looks like he'll miss the quarter finals too if they make it that far. If Wenger still doesn't bring anyone in during January then they're completely screwed.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Looks like he'll miss the quarter finals too if they make it that far. If Wenger still doesn't bring anyone in during January then they're completely screwed.
looks like totti will be out too which kinda evens itself out, i guess

its hard to bring in any good players during the winter window that are not already cup-tied

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Arsenal are gone IMO. Can't see Wenger buying a ready-made superstar as opposed to one of his diamonds in the rough. I remain adamant that they should've bought Ribéry a few seasons back and a few more midfielders in the latest transfer window. That window was an absolute shocker for Arsenal.

They lost so many important players without replacing them. Ironically, same thing that Real Madrid's Los Galácticos policy caused a few seasons ago, when they sold Makélélé to buy Beckham (along with the other superstars) and played him as a defensive midfielder.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
Groucho Marxist said:
Arsenal are gone IMO. Can't see Wenger buying a ready-made superstar as opposed to one of his diamonds in the rough. I remain adamant that they should've bought Ribéry a few seasons back and a few more midfielders in the latest transfer window. That window was an absolute shocker for Arsenal.

They lost so many important players without replacing them. Ironically, same thing that Real Madrid's Los Galácticos policy caused a few seasons ago, when they sold Makélélé to buy Beckham (along with the other superstars) and played him as a defensive midfielder.
he doesnt have much of a choice now.

another viera would be nice.

kuytbird

HSC
Sissoko is too hot and cold. Though he does run for fun.
They need someone with a bit of rough and tumble that fouls for fun, but they need some brains as well. United have hargreves and scholes to do the hard work (though both of those can actually play) Liverpool have Mascherano, Chelsea have Ballack.
Id agree with Toure. Iniesta.Cant think of any others atm. But u get the point.

HSC
Iniesta will never leave us... :p

Touré is a possibility, he's been linked with a move to Arsenal for ages, especially considering his brother is there. Dunno how Pep and Joan will feel about selling him. We have Keita and Busquets to fill his position but Busquets is a little raw and Touré is probably a better player than Keita.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)