• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 08/09 (2 Viewers)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Nothing is a joke. Chelsea drew at home against South End United in the FA Cup, Arsenal were beaten by Burnley in the Carling Cup. Are these jokes or not? It's football, it's a cup competition, and these things happen, and it's one of the beauties of the sport we all love. I love it when underdogs come up with the goods against the giants of the game, except when it's the team that I support. But credit to Derby, they deserved to win the game. We were poor, but at least we have a second leg to make up for that.

That game against Derby really isn't of much concern anyway. With them having only a 1 goal advantage I can still see us coming back from it. As long as we beat Chelsea this weekend, I'm happy. I'd take the 3 points in the league against Chelsea against an appearance in Wembley for that competition any day of the week.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Nothing is a joke. Chelsea drew at home against South End United in the FA Cup, Arsenal were beaten by Burnley in the Carling Cup. Are these jokes or not? It's football, it's a cup competition, and these things happen, and it's one of the beauties of the sport we all love. I love it when underdogs come up with the goods against the giants of the game, except when it's the team that I support. But credit to Derby, they deserved to win the game. We were poor, but at least we have a second leg to make up for that.

That game against Derby really isn't of much concern anyway. With them having only a 1 goal advantage I can still see us coming back from it. As long as we beat Chelsea this weekend, I'm happy. I'd take the 3 points in the league against Chelsea against an appearance in Wembley for that competition any day of the week.
sugarcoat it all you like mate but losing to 18th place Derby is a joke whichever way you put it.

samwell

HSC
good luck to man utd beating chelsea. if terry and carvalho will be bak 4 de game it will be hard 4 'em to crack the chelsea defence.

am predicting a draw although i would luv chelsea to win

u-borat

Banned
HSC
would prefer chelsea to win tbh, from a liverpool perspective. far less threatening than manu imo.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Izzay said:
sugarcoat it all you like mate but losing to 18th place Derby is a joke whichever way you put it.
Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Liverpool losing to Barnsley, Arsenal losing to Burnley, Chelsea losing to both Barnsley and Burnley. Haven't we seen them all before. But like I said, it really isn't important as long as we beat Chelsea. But I guess an Arsenal fan really can't have much to celebrate other than our losses.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Liverpool losing to Barnsley, Arsenal losing to Burnley, Chelsea losing to both Barnsley and Burnley. Haven't we seen them all before. But like I said, it really isn't important as long as we beat Chelsea. But I guess an Arsenal fan really can't have much to celebrate other than our losses.
lol it wasnt a personal attack. i know united will win when it goes back to old trafford and probably convincingly, but with your fixture list, the last thing you need is a protracted carling cup saga.

anyway, i'm tipping man united to win 2-1 tomorrow night.

hope it isnt one of those 'big 4' matches where the ball doesnt leave the centre circle for the best part of 60 minutes.

kuytbird

HSC
Its a dodgey, early cup competition. They send out a second string squad with a few superstars to bolster the teamsheet and give some players a rest. They lost. They'll now send out a semi-decent squad to take the piss. If not, theyll send out a similar side, but will be a bit more determined and win anyway. IF they lose, then all of their players get a rest, but you lose a cup.
Playing for the rest of the season. Call it tactics, if u will...

Roy9

HSC
Evertonian said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Liverpool v Everton 4th round Fa cup

*cries*

Thats fucking bullshit

2 weeks in a row its liverpool v everton
Fellaini's out for both.... I wonder who will replace him. Maybe Gosling or Rodwell

Evertonian

HSC
yeah but at least he wont miss the man utd and arsenal games

I think fellaini will be replaced by castillo.

Charizard

HSC
Chelsea were bad.

We were spoilt under Mourinho. I think in 5 years time the club will look back on the day they basically fired him and rue that decision.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Charizard said:
Chelsea were bad.

We were spoilt under Mourinho. I think in 5 years time the club will look back on the day they basically fired him and rue that decision.
In 5 years time, Abramovich probably won't even give a crap any more. :rolleyes:

rafalution

HSC
Charizard said:
Chelsea were bad.

You've got to be kidding. I'm a Liverpool fan but Scolari is a much better manager than Mourinho. Abramovich will not want Chelsea being unprofitable - he is a businessman after all, and a Chelsea under Mourinho playing poor football to watch and entirely results driven does not mean money.

Chelsea will need to win over many more fans to be "economically viable" and shake that tag of being just a bunch of mercenaries. You can do that with a respectable manager and a good style of football.

BTW really looking forward towards the two Everton games, should be good viewing :spin:

I think Moyes will still have Cahill up front and a 5 man midfield. Alonso will hopefully be back by then

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
rafalution said:
You've got to be kidding. I'm a Liverpool fan but Scolari is a much better manager than Mourinho. Abramovich will not want Chelsea being unprofitable - he is a businessman after all, and a Chelsea under Mourinho playing poor football to watch and entirely results driven does not mean money.

Chelsea will need to win over many more fans to be "economically viable" and shake that tag of being just a bunch of mercenaries. You can do that with a respectable manager and a good style of football.
Mr. Future CEO talking right here. :rolleyes:

Football is about success. Mourinho has clearly been Chelsea's most successful manager ever. To say Scolari is a better manager than Mourinho is utter bollocks. That is not to say Scolari is a bad manager, he's won the World Cup, and also led Portugal to one of their most successful periods in their history.

To be honest, becoming economically viable for Chelsea is just nonsense talk from Peter Kenyon. They aren't even breaking even. And this isn't just about football. Playing attractive football doesn't mean that money will flow into the club. It requires much more than that.

kuytbird

HSC
Spanish Newspapers are saying Cristiano Ronaldo is going to Real Madrid for 85 Million. Anyone else confirm that from a more viable source?

*oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please...*

08er

HSC
rafalution said:
BTW really looking forward towards the two Everton games, should be good viewing :spin:

I think Moyes will still have Cahill up front and a 5 man midfield. Alonso will hopefully be back by then

Fellani will be out for both games due to a yellow card in the previous. That will limit their attack to just the Yak and I really hope Liverpool don't slip up here. Hopefully Alonso will be back too. And, here's hoping Wigan upset Utd tonight...

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Mr. Future CEO talking right here. :rolleyes:

Football is about success. Mourinho has clearly been Chelsea's most successful manager ever. To say Scolari is a better manager than Mourinho is utter bollocks. That is not to say Scolari is a bad manager, he's won the World Cup, and also led Portugal to one of their most successful periods in their history.
agreed

samwell

HSC
Scolari is a cool straight foward manager. <more> beautiful soccer and style. Once he gets the team in order form will come.

Mourinho was technical and smart as a manager. Ugly soccer but results
guaranteed. Defence based management with very good man management. Proud character.

Both managers have their strngths and weaknesses. I think the players are more under pressure from the media than with mourinho. I guess thats the major strength mourinho has over most managers in the world. The Media focuses on him more than the team.

Anelka had a major arguement with Scolari over his position in the team. explains y he was dropped from first 11 agnst man utd. Drogba is a whiney out of form striker. that shows the major problem of chelsea and its mgt

EDIT:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2128361.ece
finally Scolari has dumped drogba from first 11. we will definetly see a fired up Anelka for the FA cup replay

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)