• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 08/09 (2 Viewers)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Calderon said Robinho just didn't want to be at Madrid any more. I guess he'll come out and explain his reasons in the future. But the fact is Robinho wanted a new contract, and Madrid didn't want to give it to him as they wanted to use him as a bait for the Ronaldo deal. Obviously Robinho wasn't impressed by it, and felt that Madrid didn't value his service. It only became apparent that Ronaldo was not joining them that they said they wanted to keep him.

By that time he had already set his sights on a move to Chelsea. But how things can turn in just 24hrs. New owner of Man City comes in, makes bids for every player on the market. And they get Robinho. I guess he's more desperate to get out of Madrid than joining Chelsea.

HSC
Definitely. But I don't think there was any doubt that Chelsea were gonna get their man. It's just fortunate for City that they have richer owners and offered more. The only reason I can see Robinho leaving Madrid for City rather than Chelsea is money, especially since he's sacrificing champions league football to play at City.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Groucho Marxist said:
The only reason I can see Robinho leaving Madrid for City rather than Chelsea is money, especially since he's sacrificing champions league football to play at City.
It's been reported that City offered him the same wage as Chelsea.

HSC
Robinho has held press conferences throughout the transfer window stating that he wants to go Chelsea. Why would this change, especially considering that City aren't in the Champions League, for any reason other than money? I can't see anything else that would attract him to City over Chelsea.

Also, I find the "reports" stating that the City and Chelsea offers were the same very suspicious. City's new owners are worth approximately €800 billion, dwarfing Abramovich's €13 billion. Considering the funds at their disposal, why would City make the same offer as Chelsea, when they knew that if they upped the ante just a small bit, Robinho would join. Again, if they had offered the same amount as Chelsea, Robinho would choose Chelsea to play Champions League football, like every player wants to do (just like Berbatov). It's just wouldn't have been logical for City to risk losing Robinho to Chelsea.

What have you heard the offers as, and from where? From everywhere, I've heard that Chelsea offered €28.4 million. Robinho signed with City for €42 million.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I've read that Robinho is receiving £90000 a week from City, and the same as what Chelsea offered. I'm sure it's reported in one of the British papers, a bit of Googling should do the job.

Robinho didn't go to Chelsea because Chelsea never made a high enough offer to Madrid. If Madrid didn't accept their bid, Robinho couldn't join them. He was desperate to get out and City made him the offer. With time running out I guess he really had no choice but to join City.

It should be made clear that City's new owner's company is worth approximately €800 billion, or £600 billion. He certainly has enormous wealth, which is why he's saying they'll try to make a £135million offer for Ronaldo.

If it wasn't for this new Arab guy, we wouldn't have had such a frenzy day on Monday. That was the craziest transfer deadline day, ever.

HSC
I don't think Robinho was desperate to get out. He just saw an opportunity to profit from the whole Ronaldo saga and took it by the throat. Of course I agree with you that Chelsea's inability or unwillingness to cough up the extra £4 million or so to match City's bid screwed them over.

FWIW, my source, which is a British paper as you mentioned, says the figures I stated in my previous post.

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Thanks for trying. But the sources you mentioned above are merely just those you find in the transfer garbage section in the various news sites. They're usually exaggerated and have no evidence. If you believe those things then United would have tabled bids for just about everybody in Europe by now.

Houllier reckons he plays better on the right? Well how that did that go?

To be honest, I'm glad Liverpool were the ones that got him. If there was ever a better place for him to rot in it would be Liverpool. I have nothing against the guy, I loved him for that goal against Croatia, but I just hate Liverpool.

Fact is, we tried to sign Berbatov initially from Leverkusen 2 seasons ago. During that time we were negotiating with Madrid regarding the sale of Van Nistelrooy. We needed time for that transfer to go through to make way for the Berbatov deal but he didn't want to wait so he chose Spurs instead. It doesn't really matter now, we've got our man, and he'll smash the scousers for us.

So you won't pay for your mother's ransom if she was held hostage by armed captives?
buzzz fail.

liverpool were the team that were at a advanced stage to sign berbatov; but then we drew leverkusen in the champion's league so the deal broke down.

then later on in the summer transfer season, both tottenham and liverpool were after dirk kuyt with berbatov as the backup option.
liverpool won that transfer battle :rofl: so they got kuyt and tottenham got berbatov.

samwell

HSC
How Come Arsenal is not on the transfer news as much this past transfer period. Except getting Nasri and losing Hleb they havent realy gone on the market. Robbie Keane signed 4 Liverpool a long period ago and he is set to make a huge effect to their line up. Crespo is also moving from Inter which is quite a suprise provided that mourinho is their new coach and even worse he left him out of the Champs league team. He may have just lost his peak.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
buzzz fail.

liverpool were the team that were at a advanced stage to sign berbatov; but then we drew leverkusen in the champion's league so the deal broke down.

then later on in the summer transfer season, both tottenham and liverpool were after dirk kuyt with berbatov as the backup option.
liverpool won that transfer battle :rofl: so they got kuyt and tottenham got berbatov.
Like Liverpool were the only team courting Berbatov at the time. :rolleyes:

And you seem more happy with the purchase of Kuyt than having Berbatov. Now that's something new. You lot might've had a second place finish by now if you had Berbs in your ranks. :)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Like Liverpool were the only team courting Berbatov at the time. :rolleyes:

And you seem more happy with the purchase of Kuyt than having Berbatov. Now that's something new. You lot might've had a second place finish by now if you had Berbs in your ranks. :)
oh really?! :headbang: advanced negotatiations=they were ready to sign the deal and have a medical. ffs.

yeah, and you obviously missed the sarcasm which was pretty blatantly obvious.

on the other hand, if we had berbatov, we prolly wouldn't have signed torres.

so who knows.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
on the other hand, if we had berbatov, we prolly wouldn't have signed torres.

so who knows.
Or instead Liverpool could have by now be boasting a frontline consisting of both Berbatov and Torres. Imagine that? Either way you can't put a positive spin on losing out on a talent like Berbatov.

Charizard

HSC
At least those Chelsea Robinho shirts will be a good collector's item.

kuytbird

HSC
big move from robinho. Not sure if he'll suit the prem league.
prolly didnt go to chelsea cause he realises he wont get a second of game.

cant see lpool gettin over united (and this is from a pool fan) shocking football of late, no torres. Rabbit out of a hat.

Berbatovs an interesting one. Rooney and Berbatov if it works will be preeety damn good.

the last day 'fore transfers was a massive one.

Charizard

HSC
No doubt robinho would have walked his way into the starting line up at Chelsea at least for the first few weeks.

TBH im not sure how he'll go, i really wanted him at Chelsea, but when you look at it objectively i'm not sure if he is suited to the epl.

HSC
personally, i'm thinking he'll do well, especially since he's got the desire to play again (was stagnating at madrid for a while). however, we could have another shevchenko on our hands. we'll just have to wait and see

samwell

HSC
Chelsea's attack is competitive as it is. if he came to Stamford bridge there would be a higher chance of a lower team chemistry. Anelka, Drogba, Di Santo, pizarro and Kalou. We may have just stuffed it with his purchase. Am really happy we didnt get him but i would think scolari would have dealt with the situation effectively. So it may have went both sides.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
samwell said:
Chelsea's attack is competitive as it is. if he came to Stamford bridge there would be a higher chance of a lower team chemistry. Anelka, Drogba, Di Santo, pizarro and Kalou. We may have just stuffed it with his purchase. Am really happy we didnt get him but i would think scolari would have dealt with the situation effectively. So it may have went both sides.
Bollocks.

Di Santo is unproven, Pizarro has gone to Werder Bremen on loan. So you're left with Anelka (2 league goals for Chelsea), Drogba (injured) and Kalou. Fearsome forward line indeed!

But whatever makes you happy I guess.

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Bollocks.

Di Santo is unproven, Pizarro has gone to Werder Bremen on loan. So you're left with Anelka (2 league goals for Chelsea), Drogba (injured) and Kalou. Fearsome forward line indeed!

But whatever makes you happy I guess.
Couldn't agree more. Di Santo scored 16 in 62 for a Chilean club, so basically all he is right now is potential. Nothing short of a major disaster will cause him to start this season. I have absolutely no doubt that Robinho would have instantly gain a berth in the first team. Only a clueless Premier League bandwagoner with no knowledge of La Liga would think otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)