The Official Football Thread 08/09 (1 Viewer)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Robinho to City!!?? I don't think any of us saw that one coming! Sucked in Peter Kenyon and Chelsea! :)

As for Berbatov, i'm glad that United finally managed to sign him. He is quality and should be a great success. Just imagine the image of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov coming at you. God help our opposition! This once again proves that Fergie always gets his man.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
This once again proves that Fergie always gets his man.
I believe that Ferguson had a 6.8 mil bid rejected by Kewell back in 2003. Ferguson saw kewell as a natural replacement for beckham who had just penned a deal to move to real madrid.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Robinho to City!!?? I don't think any of us saw that one coming! Sucked in Peter Kenyon and Chelsea! :)

As for Berbatov, i'm glad that United finally managed to sign him. He is quality and should be a great success. Just imagine the image of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov coming at you. God help our opposition! This once again proves that Fergie always gets his man.
I stayed up all night trying to study for my exam, but couldn't help but get distracted by what was the most sensational transfer deadline day in history. City made bids for everyone. Berbatov, Robinho, Villa, and RONALDO! :)D) It was great entertainment, and at the same time great tension.

Code:
        Van Der Sar

Vidic Ferdinand
Brown----------------------Evra

Scholes-----Anderson

Tevez------------------Ronaldo
            Rooney

Berbatov
That is teh sex.

always.dreaming said:
I believe that Ferguson had a 6.8 mil bid rejected by Kewell back in 2003. Ferguson saw kewell as a natural replacement for beckham who had just penned a deal to move to real madrid.
Hahahahahaha! That's gotta be the funniest post of the season so far.

samwell

HSC
Wat the hell happened i thought Robinho's agent already started discussions with Chelsea. Man City have now got Shaun wright Philips and Robinho(theoretically) from Chelsea. They may be just the suprise package that no one saw coming. Berbatov signs for Man Utd. I cant beleive wat just happened.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
most awesome last day of transfer period ever.

Haha chelsea. OUTBID BY MANCHESTER CITY!!!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
samwell said:
Wat the hell happened i thought Robinho's agent already started discussions with Chelsea.
Chelsea cannot technically approach Robinho without the consent from the club. Real Madrid never accepted a bid from Chelsea, and they accepted a bid from Man City. Since Robinho wanted out so badly he'd go anywhere. Chelsea never upped their offer, transfer closes, Robinho becomes a City player.

Truly awesome.

Charizard

HSC
Like Man Utd fans can laugh at Chelsea deserving it for the way they acted, you guys pulled the same fucking tactic to get berbatov to move.

Except Chelsea pulled out because there smart enough to realise hes not worth 34 million, where as Utd have bought a 30 million dollar bust.

Come the end of the season i think Chelsea will be the one lolling.

Robinho will be wanting a transfer within a year imo.

Gael Clichy

HSC
Charizard said:
Like Man Utd fans can laugh at Chelsea deserving it for the way they acted, you guys pulled the same fucking tactic to get berbatov to move.

Except Chelsea pulled out because there smart enough to realise hes not worth 34 million, where as Utd have bought a 30 million dollar bust.

Yeah right, Chelsea really gave a crap about getting value for money. What u smoking? They were in a petty game of brinkmanship with Real and got gazumped by City.

As for Robinho wanting to leave, I doubt it he's now reportedly the highest paid player in the Premiership has his mate Elano there and sooner or ater they are going to buy huge.

Even if this move doesn't work out for City and he flops they won't care. The point was to make a big money signing of a big player no matter what, to make a statement more than anything. They've done that and today is effectively the day when The Big Five was born. I hate it but that's the reality of the situation now, the owners have said they want to win it all and have already started to put their money where their mouths are.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Charizard said:

Surely you know why we're laughing right? Robinho only wanted to move after Madrid went on the pursuit for Ronaldo, which made him feel like he's not important to the club, so he wanted out. You don't see the irony in this? This is nothing compared to our situation with Berbatov.

Firstly, Berbatov wanted to come to United. Spurs also accepted a bid from Man City for him but what happened with that? Sparky never had the chance to even talk to him, let alone getting the transfer done. It was either United or he stays at Spurs. For Robinho, it was either a transfer out of Madrid or nothing. He made it clear that he wanted to join Chelsea, but Chelsea just didn't want him as bad as he wanted out. So City came in and poached the most sensational deal of the transfer window.

And knowing that they've lost Wright-Philips and Shevchenko, and currently without Drogba, they only have poor old Anelka up front. While our forward line suddenly looks so much stronger, Chelsea's forward line now looks thin in comparison.

And you know what's even more funny? This is the Chelsea team that advertised the sale of their replica shirts with the name Robinho printed at the back just a few days before, like they've already signed the player. And now look what happens, Calderon does a move and fucks them all up.

Currently, I don't give a toss whether Chelsea will be laughing at the end of the season. But this is certainly a day to have a good laugh.

And just to let you know, this new owner of Man City claims to have even more money than Abramovich. I suppose Liverpool will need to watch their backs now? :D

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
always.dreaming said:
Firstly, Ferguson never made a bid for Kewell. Secondly, Kewell is not a natural successor to Beckham, because Kewell plays on the left and Beckham plays on the right. Thirdly, our natural successor to Beckham was a certain Ronaldo.

I guess that you are still dreaming at this moment in time? :p

matt#1

HSC
N/A
always.dreaming said:
LOL!!! I would like to see the source you obtained this information from.

...but even if Ferguson was rejected by Kewell, I would be glad it happened because we ended up with Ronaldo as Beckham's successor instead. Keep dreaming mate :D

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Firstly, Ferguson never made a bid for Kewell. Secondly, Kewell is not a natural successor to Beckham, because Kewell plays on the left and Beckham plays on the right. Thirdly, our natural successor to Beckham was a certain Ronaldo.

I guess that you are still dreaming at this moment in time? :p
Kewell stated that he prefers to play on the right. When Houllier brought him in, he initially had Kewell playing as a right wide man.

“I think because I'm left- footed everyone assumes I'm going to want to play on the left side, but that's not the case. I like to play in the middle and on the right. But I'm not going to restrict myself. I'll just play wherever the manager wants me to." – Harry Kewell

Source: The Times (UK)

“HARRY KEWELL has dramatically snubbed a pounds 6.8million move to Manchester United telling the Premiership champions: "[Ferguson] I'm not interested in playing for you."

I can reveal the Liverpool-bound striker initially REFUSED to speak to United despite being given permission by manager Peter Reid to hold talks with the Old Trafford hierarchy, who had agreed a fee with Elland Road chairman Professor John MacKenzie.”

Source: The People (UK)

“Australian soccer star Harry Kewell's future at Leeds looked doomed when he reportedly turned down a STG7 million ($A17.5 million) move to Manchester United.

Kewell was ready to reject the move because he believes he will only be a bit-part player at Old Trafford.”

Source: The Age (AU)

Wenger out to usurp Ferguson in chase for Kewell

“THE already convoluted plotline to the Harry Kewell transfer saga was given another twist last night when it emerged that Sir Alex Ferguson made an eleventh-hour attempt to persuade the forward to reject a move to Liverpool in favour of a more lucrative offer.

In a move wholly in keeping with one of the most intriguing transfer deals in years, Ferguson telephoned the player on Monday evening when negotiations between Leeds United, Kewell’s former club, and Liverpool were at an advanced stage, to sell the attractions of a move to Old Trafford.

Ferguson, a past master at convincing wavering players their future lies at Old Trafford, reportedly used all his persuasive powers on Kewell, suggesting to the player he was making a big mistake in moving to Anfield and that the prospects of Kewell ending his career with a brimming trophy cabinet were better served by joining United.

Had Ferguson succeeded in convincing Kewell to change his plans, the player would now be facing the intimidating prospect of inheriting David Beckham’s No 7 shirt. As it is, the Australia forward ignored Ferguson’s overtures, preferring instead to succeed Kenny Dalglish and Kevin Keegan as possessor of the Liverpool No 7 shirt.”

Source: The Times Online (UK)

“Kewell snubs Man U”

"They had clubs lined up, bids from Chelsea and United, and it was put to Harry that if he wanted to be remembered as a Leeds legend, he had to accept their deal…we had a STG9 million ($A22.42 million) bid two days before the deal with Liverpool was done." - Bernie Manic

Source: The Age (AU)

“Having missed out on first choices like Ronaldinho and Harry Kewell, Ferguson is now running out of time to bring some class to his squad - not easy when every club in the world knows you are sitting on a war chest of at least £30m.”

Source: BBC Online

Harry Kewell turned down the chance to join Manchester United because he wanted to join a club that was “on the up.”

The Leeds midfielder has joined Liverpool for £5m (€7.2m) on a five-year deal that has sparked controversy.

Mandic told BBC 5 Live’s Sportsweek’s programme: “Harry wanted to go to club he felt were on the up.”

He added: “Manchester United had a huge amount of success over the years. Liverpool have started to splutter and drop off since 1990. I think United are destined to go into a downturn.”

But he could have been earning “30% more” according to Mandic.

“I think United, if you look at cycles, are destined to go into a downturn whether this year, next year, whenever.”

Mandic dismissed the notion that Kewell may not have held down a regular place in the United side.

He said: “I think Harry, considering the money being offered, would have been guaranteed a first team place. You don’t pay that sort of money to an individual or a club to sit on the bench. That wasn’t an issue.”

Source: BBC Online

“Kewell's agent Bernie Mandic was United's guest of honour at Wednesday's Champions League semi-final at Old Trafford against Real Madrid, The Sun said. Under the deal, Kewell's salary would almost double to $180,500 a week and his debt-ridden club Leeds United could find it hard to turn down a serious offer.

"He has always enjoyed a close relationship with Leeds supporters, but Manchester United are offering so much it might be hard for him to resist."

Source: The Sun (UK)

“LONDON, April 25 AAP - Manchester United is set to sell David Beckham and buy Harry Kewell, according to newspaper reports today.

Beckham is poised to move to Spanish giant Real Madrid for STG8 million a year, while United is in talks for a STG6 million deal for the Australian midfielder, papers say.

Kewell's agent Bernie Mandic was United's guest of honour at Wednesday' s Champions League semifinal at Old Trafford against Real Madrid, The Sun said.
Under the deal, Kewell's salary would almost double to STG70,000 per week and his debt-ridden club Leeds United could find “

Source: The Associated Press (UK)

"Having turned down a move to Manchester United, the three times Oceania Player of the Year made his Reds debut in front of the Kop against Chelsea on August 17, 2003."

Source: Liverpool FC Official Website

It was a highly publisized fact that Kewell snubbed Manchester United because he didn't like Ferguson; He never liked Ferguson and thus rejected his advances despite offering more money. Liverpool fans were delighted because a) thought they had picked up a quality player at a bargain price, and b) they had brought in a player who genuinely wanted to play for liverpool, the shirt, its history etc.

If Kewell had gone to Manchester ferguson would have had him playing on the right as a replacement for Beckham. If you can remember before the injuries and other bullshit, Kewell was considered the next big thing, a world class player who could only go on to achieve greater things (he didn’t in the end, but that’s another story).

So Firstly, Ferguson made a bid for Kewell but was rejected by the player himself. Secondly, okay maybe he isn't a 'natural successor' to Beckham as he isn't a right footer player, but he preferred playing on the right and Ferguson was at that time eager to strengthen his midfield. Bringing in a player as versatile as Kewell who is a left footed player but prefered plying on the right or in a central attacking position seemed like a good option, and there's no doubt that had he moved to man u, fergie would have had (intitially anyway) playing on the right to fill the whole left by beckham. Thirdly, the successor became ronaldo, who would go on to become one of the greatest players the world has seen. But at the time (this is 2003 remmember) he was just a blimp on the horizon...

Last edited:

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
LOL!!! I would like to see the source you obtained this information from.

...but even if Ferguson was rejected by Kewell, I would be glad it happened because we ended up with Ronaldo as Beckham's successor instead. Keep dreaming mate :D
:)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
I know he's shit now, but seriosuly...dones't ANYONE remmember when kewell was regarded as one of the epl's rising talents =[ ?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
injuries robbed him of his pace and hence the rest of his game.

edit;

petrov reminds me a bit of young kewell.

HSC
nice to see that chelsea was ousted by city.. calderon made a very strategic move, making sure that selling robinho (an inevitability) couldn't bite him in the arse (by selling to a fellow champions league playing team).

of course, robinho is still a whiny little bitch who just weaseled his way out of the club (who paid his mother's ransom when she was held as a hostage by armed captives in brazil) for money. hope he enjoys that manchester weather! considering city's new owners are worth more than £600 million, if they hold onto the club for a few years i have no doubt they'll overtake liverpool.

also berbatov is a good buy for united, they've been lacking that big target man centre-forward for a while now. of course, i'm slightly annoyed that spurs were given that much money. good to see them lose a key player though :p

matt#1

HSC
N/A
always.dreaming said:
Geez you went to alot of effort there to try to prove me wrong lol.:lol: When I said "Fergie always gets his man", I meant much of the time and this is true. But I stand by what I said before in saying that I am glad that Ferguson may have been rejected by Kewell because we instead discovered Ronaldo :)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Geez you went to alot of effort there to try to prove me wrong lol.:lol: When I said "Fergie always gets his man", I meant much of the time and this is true. But I stand by what I said before in saying that I am glad that Ferguson may have been rejected by Kewell because we instead discovered Ronaldo :)
lolz, I was actually trying to prove LMF^^ wrong, not you.

=]

Agreed, I never thought that kewell would fit in well at manchester united anyway. And Ronaldo turned out to be a perfect match in the end, so yeah.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
always.dreaming said:
lolz, I was actually trying to prove LMF^^ wrong, not you.

=]

Agreed, I never thought that kewell would fit in well at manchester united anyway. And Ronaldo turned out to be a perfect match in the end, so yeah.
Thanks for trying. But the sources you mentioned above are merely just those you find in the transfer garbage section in the various news sites. They're usually exaggerated and have no evidence. If you believe those things then United would have tabled bids for just about everybody in Europe by now.

Houllier reckons he plays better on the right? Well how that did that go?

To be honest, I'm glad Liverpool were the ones that got him. If there was ever a better place for him to rot in it would be Liverpool. I have nothing against the guy, I loved him for that goal against Croatia, but I just hate Liverpool.

Fact is, we tried to sign Berbatov initially from Leverkusen 2 seasons ago. During that time we were negotiating with Madrid regarding the sale of Van Nistelrooy. We needed time for that transfer to go through to make way for the Berbatov deal but he didn't want to wait so he chose Spurs instead. It doesn't really matter now, we've got our man, and he'll smash the scousers for us.

Groucho Marxist said:
of course, robinho is still a whiny little bitch who just weaseled his way out of the club (who paid his mother's ransom when she was held as a hostage by armed captives in brazil) for money.
So you won't pay for your mother's ransom if she was held hostage by armed captives?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)