• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 08/09 (1 Viewer)

inter108

HSC
NOT every team employs this supporting striker role.

Portsmouth do due to crouch and Defoe.

Newcastle do Ameobi Martins not for long when Owen is back Ameobi will be benched.

berbatov and rooney side by side.

Best partnerships often are formed by two strikers side by side. Shearer + Ferdinand. Yorke + Cole (sadly)

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Wow, one defeat for Liverpool and the shit is already starting to get stirred up. Lovely.

Firstly in response to u-borat: yes Chelsea fans have grew exponentially ever since Abramovich took over. My close mate became a bandwagon supporter for this reason too. But I can't criticise him, he's my mate.

And whether Keane is the right man for Liverpool remains to be seen. You can argue about having similar type strikers and having a CF and a SS and all that, but the truth is that all systems requires tinkering. It may take time for Keane to adapt to this new team's playing style. The Keane + Berbatov partnership worked very well for Tottenham, and there shouldn't be any reason why it can't work with Torres at Liverpool.

I personally beleve championship winning teams are those that have greater variations in attacking options. Last season we had the Tevez/Rooney/Ronaldo combination, and look where that got us. Now we have added Berbatov and we see another style of play, with Berbatov more involved in the buildup, allowing Rooney and Ronaldo greater opportunities to get in on goal. Is that what you call traditional centre-forward play? Not really. But it works, no doubt. Should injuries start to creep up towards the latter parts of the season, we can adapt to it. This is the main reason why Berbatov was bought.

I'm glad Keane isn't doing as well as he could, but Liverpool lost the game after Keane went off the field. He got subbed and they lost shape. Then come little Pavluychenko to steal victory.

Add this with Citeh's loss to Bolton, what an amazingly good weekend. :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Centic so close to sealing the win over Man U, and then Ronaldo fucked it all up.

Killself.
And totally deserved. Berba missed a last gasp shot on goal too. :(

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
van persie hmmmmmm. plays as an attacking midfielder/support striker most of the time.

can lead the line, but not when adebayor's playing.

any more shit arguments?
lol van persie never plays as an attacking midfielder...if it isnt striker it is left wing on the rare occasions when they play adebayor as a lone striker...
generally its that support striker role...where van persie hangs around and feeds of adebayor..which is also the reason why he is leading EPL assists with 8 i think

which also shows that rarely do two similar players play alongside each other

but there is an exception to everything.....

like if u got a fcked up coach like wenger...
who knows what he will do...prolly play gallas in goals

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Izzay said:
like if u got a fcked up coach like wenger...
who knows what he will do...prolly play gallas in goals
Not enough faith my friend.

And Arsenal does need another goalkeeper. Almunia just isn't consistent enough. He had a bad game against Spurs, and his showing at Stoke wasn't that impressive either.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Not enough faith my friend.

And Arsenal does need another goalkeeper. Almunia just isn't consistent enough. He had a bad game against Spurs, and his showing at Stoke wasn't that impressive either.
haha i love wenger and everything he has done for the club...
legendary....pretty gay that arsenal have been going through 'transition' for like eternity now...i could go on about arsenals inadequacies forever

almunia can be soo goood on his day...with no real back-up...he has got a fair bit of time to redeem himself

cant wait for united game this weekend...highlights of my season

hope three-o walcott is fit

kuytbird

HSC
Arsenal will come good in the end. Give it a few seasons, a bit more consistency.
Missed all the champo league cause i forgot it was on. No opportunity to get a replay either. Stupid free to air...

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
kuytbird said:
Arsenal will come good in the end. Give it a few seasons, a bit more consistency.
Missed all the champo league cause i forgot it was on. No opportunity to get a replay either. Stupid free to air...
The last trophy Arsenal won was the FA Cup in 2005 (my god that was painful), and how long has it been since. This is a problem, and I kinda agree with Mourinho on this one, in a way, Wenger is the only manager that doesn't really have the pressure of delivering trophies season after season.

Even Ferguson was under the spotlight during 2005 when we weren't doing all that well in the league. We ultimately finished that season with nothing, and the pressure was on. Imagine if we didn't win anything in 2006 and 2007, I wonder even if a manager like Sir Alex will still be in the job after that.

Arsenal have been in transition for far too long. Everyone was saying how they'll challenge for honours after their defeat in Paris in '06, but that hasn't really happened. 2 years onwards and it still doesn't look like they will. When will the excuses run out?

Oh and if you've missed games, you can always download the matches on the internet.

kuytbird

HSC
nets shite. :)
Wenger rumoured to be leaving. The thing about wenger is that he plays nice football but it wont bring silverware...kind of like the netherlands :)rofl: )
Hes brought them a long long way from how they used to play - "boring boring arsenal".
Still, the Emerites is a joke of a stadium compared to anfield and old trafford.

Gael Clichy

HSC
Incredible game that. If both teams had taken their golden opportunities it would have finished 6-5 Arsenal. 29 shots on target, high paced, back and forth attacking and all along the ground. Fuck me that was so good. Cesc had a poor game but Nasri stepped up so brilliantly. He really is the new Pires! What a game!

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
Gael Clichy said:
Incredible game that. If both teams had taken their golden opportunities it would have finished 6-5 Arsenal. 29 shots on target, high paced, back and forth attacking and all along the ground. Fuck me that was so good. Cesc had a poor game but Nasri stepped up so brilliantly. He really is the new Pires! What a game!
Well said gael lol

It was the kind of football you will ONLY ever witness at a Man United vs Arsenal game...

shame they play only twice a year excluding cup games

samwell

HSC
Chelsea back on top!!!
Anelka is weirdly on hot form this season. Hated the guy last season.

inter108

HSC
Well well my tips on Topscorers going well.

Fuck all you retards who ever doubted the elegance Anelka :rofl:

samwell

HSC
inter108 said:
Well well my tips on Topscorers going well.

Fuck all you retards who ever doubted the elegance Anelka :rofl:
I can seriously admit i thought he was a waste of money for Chelsea. Yep i doubted Chelsea's wit in the purchase of Anelka. But by far Deco is the best buy Chelsea have done.

inter108

HSC
samwell said:
I can seriously admit i thought he was a waste of money for Chelsea. Yep i doubted Chelsea's wit in the purchase of Anelka. But by far Deco is the best buy Chelsea have done.
His proving his worth every cent.

11 goals current top scorer.

All you need from a class striker.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
kuytbird said:
LMF will be spewing, no doubt....
Yup. :(

Izzay said:
Well said gael lol

It was the kind of football you will ONLY ever witness at a Man United vs Arsenal game...

shame they play only twice a year excluding cup games
The recent cup games between United and Arsenal are nothing compared to the league outings. Last season 4-0 thrashing, then before that was the crappy FA Cup final. But I have to say, United vs Arsenal have produced the most memorable games, most famous being the 1999 FA Cup semi-final replay.

Fergie hitting out at our fixture list. Fair enough too. We have the worst fixture list out of ANY team in the league. No surprise that we're suffering atm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)