The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (2 Viewers)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The defenders we have right now:

Neville, Vida, Rio, Wes, O'Shea, Evra, Heinze, Silvestre, all part of our senior squad this season.

Then we have Pique, who is awesome, and Bardsley, who I rate very highly. Then we have good options in Evans, Simpson and Cathcart. I mean some of these youngsters need to be given a chance, just have a look at what Eagles did at Everton.

After looking at this, I can't see how another defender will be necessary even if we do suffer the unlikely event that occurred to our defence. I mean obviously you don't expect your squad to be significantly diminished like that during the season. No matter what team it is, injuries will always mean setbacks.

I really hope Saha can stay fit, as I don't want to see him leave. But that's just me.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
well take silvestre out of that list (he is a horrible defender and i hope he leaves), and possibly henize if he goes(hope not) and we are down 2 already. plus evans,simpson,cathcart are unproven and i know they need to be given a chance, but the thing is we cant afford another injury list like last season, and if we need someone to step in like those youngsters will they do the job? eg milan in 2nd leg after missing 4 defenders. what im saying is one sqaud player who is proven in epl/ or europe that may be 28+ who can come in and do the job incase injuries do happen.

apart from that i think we are set for the next 2-3 seasons in most other positions.

rhcpfox1

HSC
Led-Zep said:
well take silvestre out of that list (he is a horrible defender and i hope he leaves), and possibly henize if he goes(hope not) and we are down 2 already. plus evans,simpson,cathcart are unproven and i know they need to be given a chance, but the thing is we cant afford another injury list like last season, and if we need someone to step in like those youngsters will they do the job? eg milan in 2nd leg after missing 4 defenders. what im saying is one sqaud player who is proven in epl/ or europe that may be 28+ who can come in and do the job incase injuries do happen.

apart from that i think we are set for the next 2-3 seasons in most other positions.
Oh god please Sign Senderos!

Good signings for United btw. Which = bad for arsenal, but thats irrelevant.

I think Anderson will take some adjusting to do, hes an exciting talent yes, but such was the pedigree of Baptista, what a dud he turned out to be. I think it will help that he has Ronaldo and Nani to talk to in Portuguese, it will help him settle in.
But Brazillians and the EPL generally don't mix (excepting maybe Juninho of Boro back in the days and gilberto of Arsenal)
Could disrupt ManU's flowing game, but thats necessary as Giggs and Scholes are getting on in years.

In short: Go Arsenal.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
wouldnt want an arsenal reject to be honest, tho i thought all gunners players were gods? hmmm..in short: shut up.

anderson and baptista are totally different players, one is a fat lazy twenty something old, and the other is a 19 year old top scorer at u17 youth cup, who is quick, skillful, direct, and a good dribbler/passer. imo i have been watching portugese league this season on live streams online, and prob seen anderson play bout 6 times and nani 3-4, and out of the 2 i think anderson will fit in well in england. compared to other amcs in his position anderson is a tough tackler he doesnt back out, and drops back to defend when need be, which ronaldhino,ronaldo etc dont. i think anderson is more of a team player and will do well, plus he can play as a 2nd striker with rooney upfront if need be. i think nani will take a year to settle and should be loaned out if he needs the experience (sunderland)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
just in, united confirm hargreaves will sign on 1 july. so thats it then i think, 3 new players, it be great to get another in, but im pretty sure thats it, now we gotta wait and see who leaves.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:

You're thinkin too much about the worst possible scenario. Now imagine if our forward line suffered a similar fate, I guess you would be crying for more forwards then.

The depth in our defence is amongst the best, and this is the reason why we won the Premiership this season. Of course against Milan we were disadvantaged due to the injuries we suffered, but what team wouldn't...? It's the European Cup, a knockout competition, luck has a lot to do with it. We didn't have the luck with injuries during that time, so we lost. Every team suffers injuries, and you can only do so much to minimise the negative impact by having good backup. In my opinion we have a good backup, more than adequate to say the least.

This proven first team player thing is just BS. Arsenal's young kids showed that they were good enough, why can't ours...? Our kids did well at Stamford Bridge, and they will do well if they're needed.

Silvestre is good when he's playing at LB, but completely shite in the middle. If Heinze leaves, he should be our first choice backup to Evra. Obviously the best scenario would be Silvestre leaving instead of Heinze.

I love every United player, and it will be sad to see any of them leave. But to me, some of them just don't have what it takes to make the cut in our current team. The first one comes to mind is Richardson, after such promise he just hasn't done enough to show that he deserves his spot in the team. And Dong needs to go too, his mentality and movement just isn't there.

I would be devastated if either Park or Fletcher leaves, really devastated.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
it would suck for gabby to leave id miss him. i would not however miss the following, richardson, silvestre, dong, saha(sorry had chances but injured TOO MUCH). and id feel indifferent if park left, to be honest id love to keep him he is a battler but if we need funds then i wont cry if he leaves.

im just very very excited at the 3 players we got now, united on for the league again imo. it looks as if we may push for the ecl as well, depending who we get in knockout rounds, i feel we can go even further. i beleive with these purchases it shows that a) ferguson is building for the future and his future successor which i feel due to the influx now of portuguse players and anderson, may be queiroz, b)fergie really wants the champ league again so he can retire in next 3-5 years. and c) we can rest giggs/scholes through league campaign which means we may wrap the premier league up sooner if we play as well as we had this season. i just hope we dont go to a 2001-2004 european style format now to win the champs league cause that didnt work.

in regards to formations now i think we will go, 4-4-2 obviously, but with the alteration of 4-1-3-1 or 4-1-1-2-2 with 2 strikers and 2 wide players, and an amc ala anderson/carrick/scholes with hargreaves in the defensive midfield position.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
NUFC to be taken over by Ashley. Viduka and Barton are to arrive with Parker moving to London.... should be an interesting season. It's finally good to see we've got someone with a bit of height and presence around the box, add the speed of owen, martins with amoebi and carroll providing support and looks like we've got a decent front third this year.

Now lets just sure up the midfield and hurry up signing some quality defenders (Ben Haim looks likely)... Kompany, Baines and Neill would be handy (the last two being linked pretty heavily by the guardian at the present time). Toon for Europe.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Thanks to Brad Jones, I just lost $50 on a draw.

Entertaining match, better than most friendlies. And I have to say the boys did well against the technically more superior Uruguay squad. But this Brad Jones, what were you doing.

Raginsheep

HSC
Seems like the go for an Australian keeper to fuk up once a game nowdays...

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Haha, Sweden v Denmark

-Sweden go 3-0 up
-Denmark comeback and level 3-3
-Sweden get a last minute penalty, Poulsen gets a red card
-Danish supporter runs onto the pitch to attack the ref
-Ref awards the game 3-0 to Sweden
-Crowd goes ballistic afterwards

Now that's a rivalry.

Linkage

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The ref doesn't have the power to award the game to Sweden, that's up to the UEFA committee. But hell what a game that was.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
LMF^^ said:
The ref doesn't have the power to award the game to Sweden, that's up to the UEFA committee. But hell what a game that was.
I dont think is was supporter it looked a staff member or a player or something cos the players full tried to hold him back - normally players will not get invovled.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
No it was apparently a fan. Players wanted to hold him back because he had no right to go on the pitch and accentuate the situation, risking awarding the match to Sweden (which is exactly what happened)

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Am I the only person who thought all three goals in Aus v URG were all jokes. I put all three down to errors by the kepper.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
I dont think is was supporter it looked a staff member or a player or something cos the players full tried to hold him back - normally players will not get invovled.
Mate, have you seen the footage...? Why would a player take a swing at the ref in front of a full stadium? Not everyone is a fool like David Navarro. And of course a staff member of the ground would not do it too as the Danish FA would get into heaps more serious shit, as well as that person being crucified by everyone.

Well the hunt of the kunt is on, he got arrested, but he won't be feeling very safe on the streets any more. Apparently he's a Dane who resides in Sweden, that's irony.

Brad Jones is a fool, and I do think he was a lil bit at fault for the first goal. He misjudged Recoba's pass, and left the net open for Forlan which he could not miss. Had he been better positioned he would've at least covered more space available for Forlan to shoot. But he's a young lad and most keepers make mistakes through their careers. Like Recoba said, it's lucky that this happened in a friendly and not a competitive match, like Kalac against Croatia. Had we lost that game, Kalac will be hammered for the rest of his life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)