The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
hectic, if chelsea didnt walk it last season, which wat everyone thought they would especially with ballack/sheva, why are they going to do it this year? united have a much better squad, with more options. sure a few of them are untested but so what? they were bought to make an impact and learn the epl. i think ur also forgetting the importance of the african nations cup, and how that will affect chelsea/arsenal in january. most of their players will be gone and that makes up a bulk of each team.

if anything united have laid the foundations for a title defence, something that the gunners have yet to do under wenger, and challenge for fa cup and ecl.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I agree with Hectic. Last season Chelsea spent a crucial batch of games without a decent CB pairing, and a couple of those with neither Cech nor Cudicini. On top of that, they lost a fair few points by moving away from the system that made them so effective in their two previous title winning seasons. Scheva and Ballack were obviously mistakes that cost them points too. Even so, they still only finished 6 points from United.

This season I think we'll see them going back to their boring but effective 4-5-1 cum 4-3-3 with two wingers. They picked up good defensive backup in Ben Haim, and without needing too much luck, should be as hard to beat as ever. Looking ahead, this will probably be the best chance they have of wining the league relatively comfortably. They have as settled and as experienced a squad as United (or the core of it anyhow with Robben, Cole, Drogba, Lampard, Essien, Carvalho, Terry and Cech), and what's more, their key players are in their prime.

The same can't be said of United.. Giggs and Scholes, as has been said again and again, are getting on. Giggs will be an ancient 34 for a player in his position by December. Scholes is only a year younger. They're great players of course, but to expect them to keep performing to the level they did last season would be optimistic to say the least. Of course United have bought two players with a great deal of potential in Anderson and Nani, but again, to expect them to come in and chip in with a few goals and a few assists straight away is a bit unrealistic. In a few years they COULD make United world beaters, but not next year.

Similarly Arsenal and Liverpool probably won't be ready by next season. Pool are still 2-3 world class players short of challenging, and even if we get all that we need by the end of this transfer window, by the time they've settled we'd up against it. My hopes for us this season will be to play a brand of football closer to what Rafa had Valencia playing when he was there, and probably challenge for second. Hopefully we'll sign Torres by this time next week, which would be a good start. At least with him around Kuyt will finally be able to play up front instead of in the hole.

I agree with LMF that a title challenge will be a bridge too far for Arsenal's wonderkids. What do you thing Wenger will do with the Henry money Hectic? Do you think Van Persie and Adebayor will be enough to lead the line? Or do you think you'll bring someone a little older and a little more experienced in? Has Saviola gone anywhere yet? Fits into Arsenal's style nicely, and free to boot.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
why is there this talk that united have giggs and scholes getting on in age? sheva is 30-31, ballak is close to 31, drogba nearly 30, terry and lampard in late 28-29, they are a year older too, so why not focus on how they are going to be a pace slower etc. united have a great depth in midfield, which was a huge problem in 2005/06 season and well since keano left. now we have, carrick,hargreaves(no epl experience but played in top league as well as world cup) scholes, fletcher(who i dont rate but does job) anderson, o shea can do the job too, as well as rooney who can drop back. defensively were ok, with pique hopefully going to step up and we were very solid at the back even with the huge injuries at the end of the season.
only thing i can pick apart this season is possible striker shortage, i mean we would only have rooney as a fit striker, saha wont do it, ole is old, smith will go, and rossi (who i have high hopes for) we really need one more.

i dont see why nani and anderson cant do well this season, anderson in particular is very physical and isnt a typical ronaldhino, fabregas, lightweight player who falls down, mainly saying this about ronnie and not cesc. he is strong and is a good player, i dont see why he cant adapt. nani will be the problem, he is lightweight, but is very pacey. so we will see.

i agree about arsenal not challenging, sorry gunners but it aint happening, and liverpool im not so sure about, if they can get torres and a winger then maybe.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
Heh, what a shite post. Couldn't actually respond to anything I said so turns it into one giant piece of bait. Haha.
Meh, responding to some of that stuff at 3am in the morning takes a lot of effort.

What you said was your own opinion, and I responded to one part of your post with my own opinion. There's no bait.

Benny_ said:
I agree with Hectic. Last season Chelsea spent a crucial batch of games without a decent CB pairing, and a couple of those with neither Cech nor Cudicini. On top of that, they lost a fair few points by moving away from the system that made them so effective in their two previous title winning seasons. Scheva and Ballack were obviously mistakes that cost them points too. Even so, they still only finished 6 points from United.
Yeah and United's season was all rosy eh? We were without Saha for almost 4 months, the whole first choice back four being out at the same time during the latter stages of the season, leaving Rooney up there all by himself, which I still think is not the best idea. Everyone has their own problems, and you just gotta deal with it. Nobody complained when Terry and Carvalho were playing regularly the seasons before. Injuries are part of the game, and it's up to the managers to deal with these issues. I'm sure Chelsea supporters can take great satisfaction from finishing only 6 points behind us.

All the talkers have been doubting Giggs since the days when Arsenal were winning things. The talk is rubbish and he'll prove them wrong once again. Scholes had his doubters too, and he showed them what a champ he is this season. I'm sure they will prove them wrong once again.

Drogba will be leaving for the ACN in January, see if Sheva and Kalou can step up and deliver. If they can't, then well, the whingers will come out again and make more excuses.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hard to come to a consensus on who will win the league when the transfer window hasn't even opened yet no? Particularly when opinions tend to be split according to club loyalties.

Very interesting to see if Deco and Huntelaar do end up going anywhere. Deco would make a huge difference for Chelsea, who are a lacking a really top class playmaker. Huntelaar could make a big difference for United. Having said that.. United's success last season came after selling RvN, basically a similar sort of forward to Huntelaar.. so I'm not sure if Fergie would actually be that keen to bring in someone who's like RvN, but not as good. What I've heard from Dutch fans is that Huntelaar is as good a finisher as Ruud, and almost as good off the ball, but basically doesn't contribute a hell of a lot else to the play. We'd take him at Liverpool though :D

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Huntelaar has a lot of supporters within the United contingent. Well, he's the slower version of RVN, but a real quality finisher. Meh, it's becoming too hyped up and I'm not all that excited about it. I don't mind him at United, but I don't wanna see him at the other English clubs.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Benny_ said:
What do you thing Wenger will do with the Henry money Hectic? Do you think Van Persie and Adebayor will be enough to lead the line? Or do you think you'll bring someone a little older and a little more experienced in? Has Saviola gone anywhere yet? Fits into Arsenal's style nicely, and free to boot.
Some say Anelka, some say Tevez, some say Babel, some say Huntelaar, some say Jo. I'm sure he'll sign a couple of strikers, especially with Ade going to ACN next year, but I don't know who.

LMF^^ said:
What you said was your own opinion, and I responded to one part of your post with my own opinion. There's no bait.
Nup, apart from what I said about your signings the rest of my post was pretty much based on information I know. My opinion that you're squad isn't necessarily stronger still holds.

Oh, and I never made any claims that we'd win a title, I was just dismissing all the "Haha you're fucking dooooooooommmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeedddddd' sentiment going around here as being a bit premature.

Led-Zep said:
why is there this talk that united have giggs and scholes getting on in age? sheva is 30-31, ballak is close to 31, drogba nearly 30, terry and lampard in late 28-29, they are a year older too, so why not focus on how they are going to be a pace slower etc. united have a great depth in midfield, which was a huge problem in 2005/06 season and well since keano left. now we have, carrick,hargreaves(no epl experience but played in top league as well as world cup) scholes, fletcher(who i dont rate but does job) anderson, o shea can do the job too, as well as rooney who can drop back. defensively were ok, with pique hopefully going to step up and we were very solid at the back even with the huge injuries at the end of the season.
There's a big difference between top line players who are between 28-31 ie playing at probably the peak of their powers and players around 33/34, as body deterioration takes it's toll.

I'm not saying Giggs and Scholes aren't as good in footballing terms, but it'll be a big effort for their bodies to hold up for a second season running especially considering the length of their careers to date. I don't think Nani and Anderson are at the level required to have the same impact and by the same token I don't believe Giggs and Scholes will replicate what they did last season.

You're doing Ballack and Sheva a disservice too, they could both have great seasons now that they've had a year in England to settle. Chelsea have signed a good striker in Pizzaro, and have made sure there won't be any real backline crisis by signing Ben Haim and Alex. Alex in particular is a fucking animal and willprobably be first choice before too long. I also don't believe we'll be lucky enough to see Petr Cech out for an extended period of time either. He is worth many points to them. All in all, they look a pretty safe bet for a Title tilt and a Champions League tilt.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
well we shall see, i think united are in a much better position than last season, in regards to squad depth, and i dont think we will see a defensive injury list again, that was real bad luck and was lucky not to cost us.

anyway there are reports of torres goin to pool, seems official now. and also gooners getting martins, which i think would actually be a good buy seeing as u wont get anyone better.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Been watching the Copa, and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality of the games so far. Mexico with a fantastic win over Brazil. I watched Alex play, and needless to say he's a very good defender, and he's very strong in the air. Saw glimpses of Anderson too, and he looks like a real beast.

I don't understand why Dunga keeps sticking with Vagner Love, he's fucking useless. He can't even keep his first team spot at CSKA Moscow and yet is untouchable in the Brazil team. WTF??? He was the worst player out there yesterday, and yet he played the full 90mins. They can use Afonso Alves and Fred to replace him, both of whom are much much better than this guy.

But this should make it interesting, Brazil will go all out for wins in their next 2 games. Should be good to watch.

Chelsea FC

HSC
N/A
CAPELLO SACKED!!!

What a stupid reason to sack someone. You don't have to play "beautiful" football imported ready made from Rio to succeed these days, clubs such as Chelsea and Liverpool (and Real Madrid last season!) have shown that in recent years.

This is an absolute disgrace!!!:mad:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Yeah, Chelsea proved you can just import it from other major clubs!

Torres to Liverpool just seems weird, and 27 million euros is....well a lot. Reports are coming now that Man City are going to make a bid for him, which is just laughable.

Also Bent to Tottenham. Seems like a really pointless purchase, Spurs already have too many strikers who want constant first team football

mat2154

HSC
bazookajoe said:
Also Bent to Tottenham. Seems like a really pointless purchase, Spurs already have too many strikers who want constant first team football
Esp for 16.5 mil pound, i would much rather henry for the same price. anyway, mido is on his way out and apparently man utd will probably lose smith to middlesborugh so they may make a late bid for defoe.

adders

HSC
mat2154 said:
Esp for 16.5 mil pound, i would much rather henry for the same price. anyway, mido is on his way out and apparently man utd will probably lose smith to middlesborugh so they may make a late bid for defoe.
Henry had a loyalty clause in hsi contract which is why he left so cheaply. btw liverpool signing torres, not so sure if its the best move, but he's young and has time to develop

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
mat2154 said:
Henry may not be the Mr Arsenal he proclaimed himself to be, but he wouldn't go to another English club, much less Spurs.

Spurs forward line is gonna scare the hell out of any defender this season.. after all their strikers are Bent and Keane.

mat2154

HSC
keane probably won't even get a start, berbatov and bent will start with a pretty much england a midfield and defense (dawson, routledge, huddlestone...).

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Benny_ said:
Spurs forward line is gonna scare the hell out of any defender this season.. after all their strikers are Bent and Keane.
Really...? That's like saying Liverpool's forward line is world class. Even if you do manage to get Torres I'd say you guys aren't scaring anybody. Only Berbatov is a top class forward, while Keane and Bent are both good players, they won't scare anybody.

Defoe will go, and we don't want him. Newcastle will be a good option, they need a replacement for Luque. :p

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
mat2154 said:
keane probably won't even get a start, berbatov and bent will start with a pretty much england a midfield and defense (dawson, routledge, huddlestone...).
That's pretty much how I see it as well, it can't survive on a rotation system forever and someone will have to crack mid-season

matt#1

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
Barcelona are one kick ass team. They have everything.. henry, messi, ronaldinho..
don't forget Eto'o. It will be interesting to see if all of these guys will be played at once and whether it works or not.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Spurs forward line is gonna scare the hell out of any defender this season.. after all their strikers are Bent and Keen.

Not one laugh? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)