The official "I DON'T HAVE A JOB YET!" Thread (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Thade said:
Guuhhhh. I've applied in so many places in the past three months now that I've lost count. :( And I'm pretty certain I'm not doing anything wrong; I've been walking around everywhere handing in resumes and assuring people I'm available 24/7 after doing the HSC, but still no luck. :mad1: The whole vibe I'm getting is that I need experience, but how on earth can I get experience if nobody will hire me? :confused:

I almost got a job last week, had two four hour trials at a sandwich place. I was happy for the experience, but the people there were really unwelcome (ie. not trying to teach or show me how to do anything and then getting frustrated when I was unsure about stuff) and I just had to get out. So yeah, no work for me yet.

(Oh, and as a side question, should they have paid me for those trials? I'm not sure, as it's the furthest I've ever gotten towards actually getting employment. :p )
it's ok, you'll find something. a friend of mine was in your position of no experience, but she's managed to find a job (i'm tre jealous - how the hell can she get a job when i cant and i have experience?! lol). some employers can be really narky about it though. about 5 of the places i went to wanted experience in register operation but apparently my 6 months wasnt enough lol.

oh and yes i believe you should have been paid for those trials. you might want to follow it up.

ZabZu

HSC
Thade said:
(Oh, and as a side question, should they have paid me for those trials? I'm not sure, as it's the furthest I've ever gotten towards actually getting employment. :p )
I was in a similiar situation. About 2 years ago I did 15 hours of unpaid training only to find out it was illegal. Before i left the job after a few months i asked my employer to pay me the wages for the 15 hours.

For people over 18 im not sure about the law due to the new IR laws but for people under 18 unpaid work trials remain illegal. This is because WorkChoices has no affect on child labour.

Im also trying to find work but my main problem is i am being a bit fussy. I refuse to work in a number of industries. I reckon if you are willing to work anywhere you should find work.

Last edited:

Thade

Arrrrgghhhh...
HSC
ZabZu said:
I was in a similiar situation. About 2 years ago I did 15 hours of unpaid training only to find out it was illegal. Before i left the job after a few months i asked my employer to pay me the wages for the 15 hours.

For people over 18 im not sure about the law due to the new IR laws but for people under 18 unpaid work trials remain illegal. This is because WorkChoices has no affect on child labour.

Im also trying to find work but my main problem is i am being a bit fussy. I refuse to work in a number of industries. I reckon if you are willing to work anywhere you should find work.
Eugh, I went in today to ask about it, but apparently nobody I could talk to was in. Yeah right, 5th day in a row I've gone there asking about it. Quite frustrating. I guess they do know they have to pay me. They just won't. :mad1: Time to chase this thing up properly. :p

I was being fussy about finding a job too. Well, a part-time holiday one anyway. I absolutely refused to work in anything related to serving food, because of fears that I wouldn't be able to cope with it. I decided to take a chance, since I needed money...I took that sandwich job and I sucked. They're probably glad I quit after the trial. No more food shops. :D But in doing that I've excluded a bunch of suitable casual positions and whatnot. End story; I shouldn't be lazy.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Thade said:
Eugh, I went in today to ask about it, but apparently nobody I could talk to was in. Yeah right, 5th day in a row I've gone there asking about it. Quite frustrating. I guess they do know they have to pay me. They just won't. :mad1: Time to chase this thing up properly. :p

I was being fussy about finding a job too. Well, a part-time holiday one anyway. I absolutely refused to work in anything related to serving food, because of fears that I wouldn't be able to cope with it. I decided to take a chance, since I needed money...I took that sandwich job and I sucked. They're probably glad I quit after the trial. No more food shops. :D But in doing that I've excluded a bunch of suitable casual positions and whatnot. End story; I shouldn't be lazy.
hey i know what you mean about the food thing. i'm quite dubious about working in food places because my hand-eye coordination can sometimes leave a lot to be desired and i didnt want to fuck up. but my friend who works at a chicken takeaway shop has gotten me an interview there because apparently they're quite short staffed because lots of people left because the manager is a bit of a shithead. i'm going to go to the interview though and i hope i get the job because i need money and at this stage i dont really mind where i work to get it. i can always quit in a few months if it really sucks that badly. and i had a crap manager at my last job so i think i can handle a personality clash.
im pretty sure that during the trial/trainee period i'll be paid less than normal, but i dont mind that coz it's still fair money and it'll go up in a litle while.

Thade

Arrrrgghhhh...
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
hey i know what you mean about the food thing. i'm quite dubious about working in food places because my hand-eye coordination can sometimes leave a lot to be desired and i didnt want to fuck up. but my friend who works at a chicken takeaway shop has gotten me an interview there because apparently they're quite short staffed because lots of people left because the manager is a bit of a shithead. i'm going to go to the interview though and i hope i get the job because i need money and at this stage i dont really mind where i work to get it. i can always quit in a few months if it really sucks that badly. and i had a crap manager at my last job so i think i can handle a personality clash.
im pretty sure that during the trial/trainee period i'll be paid less than normal, but i dont mind that coz it's still fair money and it'll go up in a litle while.
Ahahaha, I finally got paid for the trial. I'll be going back to work there since I still need money and they offered to train me properly instead of making me sit there and watch the more experienced employees serve chips and make milkshakes. :p

Chris.

HSC
im applying for payless shoes 2morow..i hope they recruit me..wish me luck!

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
maccas rejected me

i must have said too much.

*shrugs*

my brother got a job there. >_< no fairrrr.

going for everything now.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i went to my interview for the chicken place today. the man i talked to seemed quite nice, he asked a lot of questions about how old i was, did i drive, was i going to uni next year, what degree was i doing there, why, and when i was available... the interview only lasted about 2 minutes but im pretty confident i've got the job. i'll just have to wait and see until he calls later.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i went to my interview for the chicken place today. the man i talked to seemed quite nice, he asked a lot of questions about how old i was, did i drive, was i going to uni next year, what degree was i doing there, why, and when i was available... the interview only lasted about 2 minutes but im pretty confident i've got the job. i'll just have to wait and see until he calls later.
Did you get a call back, it took me a while, my interview was iffy but at least I am getting someone where I guess, after 2 months of sitting around waiting to get a job. I feel the pain in this thread.

T

Testpilot

WouldbeDoctor said:
Did you get a call back, it took me a while, my interview was iffy but at least I am getting someone where I guess, after 2 months of sitting around waiting to get a job. I feel the pain in this thread.
At coles myer? did you have a dodgy interview too? I got the job that you were asking me about before in the CML thread.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
WouldbeDoctor said:
he's supposed to call me today. fingers crossed.
good luck with finding a job yourself :)

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
I had an interview for a sales rep position today, it did'nt go too well but at least they took the time to see me. I'm getting nothing from coles,woolies or maccers.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Phyuk_Yiu said:
I had an interview for a sales rep position today, it did'nt go too well but at least they took the time to see me. I'm getting nothing from coles,woolies or maccers.
Don't bother with any of those fucks, just personally hand in resumes to places, make it presentable! A coloured page if you will, the details can mean alot!

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I don't have a job and I haven't applied anywhere since I quit coles.
I probably should.
I could so easily get a job, I'm great.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm gonna start applying to telemarketing places in the new year, because I'm convinced they're the only ones who'll take me.

googol

HSC
I've been looking for jobs for 3 months so far, I havn't got a job ever before (not even work experience) and so much nothing.... yeah, I just want the $$$ and the experience (who doesn't?). Yeah... I tried Safeway, Coles, Dick Smith, Big W, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, Reject Shop, almost all the majors... and also heaps of minors too.... ....

Some say I don't have enough experience, some say no places left, some say the job won't 'suit me'... I don't know.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
I've been looking for work for just over 2weeks and have had 4interviews and 2trials. I'm great :D

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ehhh. fuck me sideways. i'm still looking, not much luck. the implication behind most of the oh-so-kind rejections i have gotten is along the lines of "oh, you're 18...shit we have to pay you more, sorry." blah. im applying for temp work with the AEC tomorrow and getting my RSA as soon as i can...coz i'd be the youngest any alcohol-related job could hire. temp work is looking like my best option right now...next semester's timetable looks like it's going to be slightly shit, availability wise, no matter what way i work it.

fofanny

HSC
I've been looking for a job for the past 4 months....I've applied to about 30 different placesand I've even gone to a couple of job seeking agencies but all I've gotten were a couple of unsuccessful interviews.

The frustration culminated in a shattered back door today as I was thinking about it, and about everyone else as well; how all my friends and everyone else I know grab great jobs by seemingly snapping their fingers.
In other words:

Long term mounting frustration + feather that breaks the camel's back (in this case some lost keys) = :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)