The Official "Thank God Year 11 Is Over" Thread (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

denise_ said:
aiyahh... 1 exam to go <photography> but dun neccessarily care coz im dropping it.. thank god yr 11 is over? oh dear.. starting yr 12 is hell oh my goodness... everythinggg counts now dammit :cries:
i got 5 exams left, but visual design and gay and shit, and is not worth counting as a subject so four exams.~~~

thewhitecomet

HSC
kami said:
For those of you hovering in the limbo known as the year 11 and year 12 holiday gap that is coming up I have one major piece of advice...
START YOUR MAJOR WORKS SOON!
It doesn't matter if all you do is scribble a little bit and make absolute crap stuff up, you should make something of a start because this is the one thing you can do without being taught since all the guidelines are on the net - and if you do make considerable progress then depending on the subject you'd have gotten the hardest bit out of the way. Otherwise you may be one of those people who have to finish their mw while their trials are happening so that they can't study as much as they need. So listen up guys(and gals) this is your great chance to get ahead!
err... what exactly is a "major work"? what subject is this? yr 11 is finishing and i ain't happy. it just means that in 3 weeks we'll be the oldest students in the school, everything counts directly to our HSC and the Boredofstudies HSC Countdown will be for US. eugh. i'm scared shitless... if i get anything below 99 UAI my parents will crucify me

klaw

HSC
thewhitecomet said:
err... what exactly is a "major work"? what subject is this? yr 11 is finishing and i ain't happy. it just means that in 3 weeks we'll be the oldest students in the school, everything counts directly to our HSC and the Boredofstudies HSC Countdown will be for US. eugh. i'm scared shitless... if i get anything below 99 UAI my parents will crucify me
major work is like a major project, something they give you most of the year to do usually

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I think "major work" refers to subjects that have a major work, i.e, Extension 2 English and History Extension. I don't think most subjects have on - just assessments. If you want to get 99 + UAI then tell your parents to stop stressing you out, ensure that you're rank 1 or 2 and are in a very strong grade academically. The better everyone in the class goes, the better for you. And if you don't get the UAI you want, all is not lost. My piano teacher had a student who got over 99 but just missed out on getting into law. He went down to uni, started a Bachelor of Arts, got High Distinctions in everything and was accepted straight into the law course in the second year. UAI is not everything. :)

I_F

thewhitecomet

HSC
do all subjects get them? how do u prepare if you don't even know what it'll be?
still, i think right now you're number 1 priority is UAI. i just want the choice to do whatever i wanted. the worst case scenario is really wanting to do a course, but you can't cos you don't have the marks cos you goofed off in high school or something.

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
the worst case scenario is really wanting to do a course, but you can't cos you don't have the marks cos you goofed off in high school or something.

You can get in second year too. Missing it the first year isn't the end of the world. Enrol in another course, blitz it, and you should be able to get in during the second year.

Subjects like Maths, Chem, and Physics don't have Major works. I don't think English gets it either - just the Extensions. Ask your teacher if you're not sure.

I_F

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
yayyy! me doing 4 U maths, chem, phys and adv eng. no major works for me.

That's almost exactly what I'm doing (just Economics on top). All you have to do is do as best you can in all of them, and you'll do fine. Remember the class ranks: all important you keep in the top 1-2. :)

I_F

klaw

HSC
insert-username said:

That's almost exactly what I'm doing (just Economics on top). All you have to do is do as best you can in all of them, and you'll do fine. Remember the class ranks: all important you keep in the top 1-2. :)

I_F
change chem to business studies and that's what Im' doing :)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I dont get it.

We're thanking that we're out of year 11, so that we can move into a longer, harder and far more stressful period.

Is working hard the new lazy?

thewhitecomet

HSC
insert-username said:

I_F
are you crazy? top 1-2 of MY school? you should see the freaks we have... our top maths guy is 3rd in the country, the science beasts do outer-school competitive olympiads and so on. ahhaha. my school regularly pumps out around 40-50 99+ UAIs so all i'm trying to do is stay in the top 40 for all subjects

in like 30 days, the HSC countdown will be for us. scary isn't it?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
are you crazy? top 1-2 of MY school? you should see the freaks we have... our top maths guy is 3rd in the country, the science beasts do outer-school competitive olympiads and so on. ahhaha. my school regularly pumps out around 40-50 99+ UAIs so all i'm trying to do is stay in the top 40 for all subjects

Sorry, your school's much larger than mine then. By the sounds of it, top 30-40 or so should do you good. If your school was the size of mine, then you'd be wanting 1-2.

I_F

Bookie

Banned
HSC
thewhitecomet said:

in like 30 days, the HSC countdown will be for us. scary isn't it?
Vinh is the only freak. No more.

Stop talking up our school man. Only about 20 guys get 99+

You'll get 99.95 if I can help it. (that means ranking 1st, I'll back you up at the external exams)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
thewhitecomet said:
err... what exactly is a "major work"? what subject is this?
thewhitecomet said:
do all subjects get them? how do u prepare if you don't even know what it'll be?
I apologise if I rendered any confusion as I assumed that every student in the HSC would know whether they were doing Major Works or not, and what they were. I'll explain properly now in case others misunderstood also. In most HSC courses there is an external form of testing that is either in the form of written exams or submitted works. In the exam you won't know your question till you sit it but in your Major Work, there is no question except what you make up - there are only the syllabus guidelines you must follow, and these are present at your local library, school and online. The reason why it is imperative and convenient to get an early headstart on works such as these is that most of them are due when trials are on - you will in effect be sitting the equivalent of a HSC exam for a subject at the same time as your trials. The following subjects contain externally marked major works - English Extension 2, Drama, Visual Arts, Industrial Technology, Society & Culture, Design & Technology, Agriculture(optional), Textiles & Design and Music Extension. The subjects which require an internal(ie marked by teacher) research component of similar guidelines are IPT, SD&D, SOR, CAFS, Music 2u, History Extension and the Sciences.

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
I have three major works to do next year... *hangs self*

Oh well. I already know what I'm doing for all of them. Hopefully, I'll pass... ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)