the pill (2 Viewers)

Atonofrash

HSC
mmm well i was on it for about a year and a bit, and then have been off it for about 8months (fuck that's a while :s) and now back on it again.

edit: more like 6 prob

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Many people are but I don't know how often it actually occurs. I didn't gain any when I went on mine (besides my boobs going up about 1/2-1 cup size) and I am on one of the cheaper ones (Levlen ED generic version of Microgynon 30ED - about $17 for four months worth) If you do think you will gain a little weight tell your doctor that and they can try to find you one that will suit you, there are heaps to try anyway. Also if you gain a little weight I am sure it wont go away with a little exercise and healthier eating which will only benefit you anyway.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Born Dancer said:
My doctor said that it's safe to skip a max of 4 periods though he doesn't reccommend it. I skip 3 because I get withdrawal headaches when i'm not on active pills and it's much more pleasant to get a week of headaches every three months than every month.
Yeh, that's fair enough though. I just internally freak out that I'm leaving it too long so I cut it back a bit :eek: But you're right - fuck having a period every month, blergh.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Born Dancer said:
My doctor said that it's safe to skip a max of 4 periods though he doesn't reccommend it. I skip 3 because I get withdrawal headaches when i'm not on active pills and it's much more pleasant to get a week of headaches every three months than every month.
Did he say what makes it unsafe to skip more? I usually skip... and mum got annoyed about it so she made a point of asking her doctor and he said it was fine.. but i dont know about how long for.. :s

sca

HSC
darcski said:
I suggest Levlen, I've been on it for a year, and I've had no problems. It's also relatively low does hormones so better for you. And forget the myths- there is absolutely no risk in taking the pill continuously. You're not going to get cysts or cancer. Many people have mysconceptions (pardon the pun) that they need to have a period (take a break from the pill) to confirm to themselves they're not pregnant. The pill works by inducing your body into a false state of pregnancy, and there is no harm in taking it continuously, only alot of benefits, especially for people with bad pain or low iron levels.
Actually, the official stance is that they don't know wether there are any negative side effects to skippind periods on the pill. They don't know of any, but that doesn't mean they won't discover some in the future.
(If you actually read the little booklet inside the pill box, you can kind of read that between the lines in how they cover themselves by saying "this is not proven, but has been reported by some women... blah blah blah". And at least Levlen ED has a little blurb on how although it doesn't prove that the pill causes it, cancer is slightly more common in women who use the pill than don't).

So I wouldn't lose sleep over skipping my period once or twice, but I'd just feel unnatural going too long without one.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Skipping periods made my boobies hurt.

But I don't know if that happens to everyone.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Haha, I don't actually notice it anymore compared to when I wasn't on the pill, but if I do notice it now I usually figure it's time to get off the pill and have my period.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Most people I know who skip frequently generally do so due to medical conditions like Endometriosis and their doctors tell them they should try and have a period every three months.

I think you should talk to your doctor and then decide what's best but if you are worried make sure you try and have a period every couple of months to be on the safe side. I generally only skip mine when I really need to (like a Summer holiday where I'd like to be able to swim). As much as I dislike the pain, ickiness and discomfort of a period it can be reassuring to have one, know its all still working and all that.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Haha that's exactly why I skipped a couple.

Did not want period whilst overseas or whilst on beach holiday. No thankyou.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The only thing that bothers me about not skipping (other than the inconvienience of a period) is that icky/tired feeling I have for the next few days going back onto the active pills.

What time of day do people take theirs and which ones are you on?
I take Levlen ED at 8:30am.

Atonofrash

HSC
so does anyone know about going on and off them, and whether that's ok?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I'm trying to work out what time of day I'll take it at. There's no time in the day that I'm consistently always doing the same thing. I'll probably just make it like 11am or something. Idk.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I'd say the best thing to do is to ask your doctor. I'd think though that going on and off would mess you around a bit and make you feel sick until your hormones would adjust, one of my friends was trying one out for the first time...felt sick, gave up a week in and stopped taking them which made her feel sick for a while longer because her hormones had to re-adjust

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I'm trying to work out what time of day I'll take it at. There's no time in the day that I'm consistently always doing the same thing. I'll probably just make it like 11am or something. Idk.
I do mine at 8:30am because I rarely sleep in and I am usually up and awake, I leave it in my handbag because I am usually on the way to work or uni then. You can try and time it with dinner or before bed or something..

Last edited:

jessyy

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i just have mine on my bedside table, so as soon as my alarm goes off i take it!!

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Fair enough... I tend to find any number of excuses to skip mine: "holidays", "exams", "assignments" etc. Its really no big deal to have one every now and then, its just i feel crap for the first day or so and prefer to avoid it.

I take Norimin-1 and I keep it in the bathroom so have it when i clean my teeth after breakfast or as soon as i get up depending if its a sleep-in morning or not lol.

rozymisty

HSC
Stopping and starting it really mucks up your hormones, as ive experienced lately. Kept spotting and taking the normal ones and then got a heavy bleed and tried the normal ones but not stopping it, and so have to get primulot to stop them for 10days, get an ultrasound tmw (man i cant hold 600ml in my blader let alone 1 litre!! BUT ive got the doc to write up a transvaginal one...where they stick a probe in your vag) and got awful pains and stuf.

so hoping its not another polyp...already ahd enough time off work.

Im thinking of getting the implanon or the mireva system in coz i always forget to take them and stuff, and not always at the same time coz im a shift worker.

Any of you got this? or thinking of getting altenatives to taking the pill? Coz for me this isnt working.

HSC
rozymisty said:
Im thinking of getting the implanon or the mireva system in coz i always forget to take them and stuff, and not always at the same time coz im a shift worker.

Any of you got this? or thinking of getting altenatives to taking the pill? Coz for me this isnt working.
i had implanon for abot 10 months. the doc said that my periods will be irreglar than they wont come no more. it trned ot that i had my period for a month on then month off twice, then it was 2 months on one off, then it was on for like 2 months straight again so i switched back to the pill. it was so crap :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)