the pill (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I've been on Yasmin for about 6 or so weeks and I skipped the sugar tablets and now I'm on my third packet. When I was on my first packet everything was fine, but not long after I started my second packet I kept having brown discharge and its been 3 wks and it hasn't freaking gone away and its really annoying!! Do you think I should discontinue use or wait it out incase its just my body getting used to it?

I had a similar reaction when I had the implant in my arm and it just became so unbearable I had to get it taken out. Ughhh.
Sounds like you're getting some breakthrough bleedings which means that your pill may not be as effective as it should, you may need something stronger.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Yeah I get that too, I can skip 2 months and then the yucky weird bleeding starts.

I'm (mostly) on yasmin for my skin though and it's worked a treat so I'm a bit apprehensive about switching it over? Like I'd rather deal with a bit of breakthrough bleeding or having a withdrawal bleed each month than get heaps of pimples again.

If you've switched to a stronger pill what one did you switch to and did you have any side effects/adjusting? e.g. skin, periods, whatever.

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
just a thanks. i was doing a lurker read of previous posts and it helped =)

ive been on levlen ed for just over a year... no issues til last month my mother hassled the heck out of me to change because of 'mood swings' - anywhos, keeping the peace just cost me $25 for a month tester on Yaz (in comparison to four months at ~$15)... here's hoping theres a generic of it soonish..

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Nah yaz is brand new so it'll be years and years before there's a generic version.

I'm considering switching to another pill because it's so pricey, but I'll have to chat to a doc about it. I don't want to give up my good skin or lack of mood swings.

klaris

HSC
I am thinking of going on the pill:

what side affects?
will i put on weight or lose it?

and do i need a prescription from my doc?

klaris

HSC
Levlin + Diane: brands?

I thought there was just one generic brand of the pill lol.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
there are a whole range of different types of pills that work from principally the same ingredients with slight variations and differing dosages.

the side affects that you encounter will be different just because you are you but also according to which tablet you take and sometimes you may have to do a little switching until you find the right one. there are all kinds of pricing levels too, which may be something you wish to consider.

im on yasmin because i went on the pill primarily for my skin and although it's expensive i find that it works perfectly for me. I have tried changing but when I switched I felt incredibly sick in the days where I was meant to get my period and so I changed back and my body seems to have settled in. I have put on some weight, but it's difficult to tell if that is from the pill or not (i've been on it for over 3 years now)

the best advice anyone can give you is to go and talk to your doctor about it.

klaris

HSC
thanks, Born Dancer :)

i am guessing it will affect my moods as well when i am due for my period. also, i'm irregular - does that have any implications?

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
thanks, Born Dancer :)

i am guessing it will affect my moods as well when i am due for my period. also, i'm irregular - does that have any implications?
maybe yes maybe no

i wasn't really ever all that irregular but gradually ive become like clockwork, that took a couple of years even on the pill though

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am thinking of going on the pill:

what side affects?
will i put on weight or lose it?

and do i need a prescription from my doc?
Side effects: Depends on the person. These generally are a temporary thing but if they don't go away you can change your pill, there are so many formulations you can usually find something that will work for you.

Weight: Again depends on the person. I am on Levlen Ed and I didn't gain or lose weight.

Prescription: Yes, talk to your doctor about what you need/want it for: I.e. if skin is a problem they will prescribe a particular type/brand. As I wanted mine contraception/lessen pain/heaviness (common basic reasons) I got prescribed a pretty run of the mill one.

Cost: Mine is <$20 for 4 months worth. The price varies depending on the brand you get prescribed, it shouldn't be too expensive unless you end up with Yasmin/Yaz.

Benefits: Less heavy periods, regular periods, can control periods (i.e. skip on on holidays) contraception, good for skin etc...

As you can see it really varies between people as I don't seem to have the side effects that other people on here who have taken my pill have.

Good luck :)
P.s. read the packet throughly and always tell your doctor/pharmacist if you are taking the pill/other meds and they can reduce effectiveness.

klaris

HSC
Thanks Melsc.

And I was expecting it to be far more expensive that $20 (or less) for four months. I'll go see my doc next week about it as my periods are very irregular and I am highly emotional when I get them. Not regular PMS emotional. Worse.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
some are. i am on yasmin which is about $60 for 3 months worth.

because it is for my skin, my doctor wrote my health care fund a letter and i get about $20 rebated back from my private health fund. i'm prepared to stick with it though, switching once was enough

Mushiie

HSC
What would happen if a bloke took the pill? Would he grow tits or what?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
you'd start to grow a vagina and eventually it would make you pregnant with a parasitic oestrogen tumor baby

seriously though idk maybe you'd just grow little manboobs?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm pretty sure men have naturally occuring oestrogen anyway. Maybe yeah, they'd grow some manboobs. Maybe get a little emotional? Who knows.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
In theory a week but when my gf started we waited until after her next period, just in case.

It's not like condoms are expensive, why risk it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)