The Pill (1 Viewer)

Lennie

ZacG said:
Hey, I'm just curious how many people are on it, when they started, and if they still use a condom as well as added protection, or if they're confident that it'll do the job.

Taking it a bit further, do the females on it expect the guys to pull out, or are they ok with it?

And while we're at it, any side effects you've ever experienced with it.

$52 for 3 months.
Its 99% effective, so yeah, I'm pretty confident. I wouldnt recommend using it as the only form of contraception with a new partner though !!! Thats a death wish...
Ive been on it for over 3 years now, and I have only had good side effects. It hasnt made my skin bad, nor has it made me put on weight and I certainly havent had an issue with blood pressure or anything like that.
The occurence of negative side effects is extremely low.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
there's always the option of abortion if the pill for some reason doesn't work
and theres always the morning after pill
like oh em gee

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
im soooo bored....

Positives

The Pill is an excellent contraceptive. It has approximately 99% effectiveness.

The Pill has been shown to protect against cancer of the ovaries and the womb lining and pelvic inflammatory disease, a major cause of infertility in women.

More Positive effects of the Pill include;
> more regular periods
> also makes periods shorter, lighter and less painful (if u even have them)
> less bleeding and pain
> positive effects on the skin (e.g pimples)
> doesn't interfere with sex
> can help with pre-menstrual symptoms
> also reduces the risk of fibroids (tumours in the womb that are not cancer), ovarian cysts and breast disease.

Negatives

The Pill can be linked to such side effects as;

> weight gain
> nausea
> breast tenderness
> headaches
> mood changes
>lower sex drive
these side effects usually dicontinue after a certain period of time...

Some drugs reduce the effect of the Pill and can cause pregnancy (obviously assuming sex is unprotected) These include;
> antibiotics
> barbiturates
> phenytoin
> carbamazepine

Furthermore, the Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) is part of our DNA. It is in control of the immune system. There is a stong link between the immune system and body odour; MHC controls body odours and can affect the way we perceive smells.

Naturally humans select a mate whom MHC differs to our own. For example;
Male1 - immune to diseases A B C
Male2 - immune to diseases D E F

The natural choice of partner for Female3 (immune to diseases D E F) wuld be Male1, as the offspring wuld resistant to diseases A B C D E F.

The Pill alters the MHC. So, for example, Female3 was on the Pill, she would be more attracted to Male2. Hence their offspring would be less resistant to certain diseases.

Conclusion

So, as weird as it sounds, the Pill effectively alters ur DNA. And ur attracted to the "wrong" type of guy. So whilst it may b okay while ur young and goin out with different guys, i advise NOT to stay on the pill when u start to look at major commitment.

For example, u start to see a guy whilst on the pills. It gets serious. A year later he proposes, u accept. You come of the Pill to become pregant to your man. Your MHC returns to normal..and therefore you are no longer attracted to your husband. Thats why ther has been a large increase in the divorce rate after the introduction of the pill. So dont go long term

I implore u girls to consider the above...

But is is also an extremely effective contraceptive, bar abstinence. No periods, improved mood, better skin are also good.

Im not trying to change ur mind. Just showing u the facts.

mr_brightside

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
sweetXinsanity said:
i dunno about the choices in men thing.. thats a little extreme..
how could you not believe that?!?!?!

mr brightside obviously copy and pasted that from some "credible" webiste which he accidently forgot to source

all the figures and statments in his post were 100% correct

:rolleyes:

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
hence the reason why im NOT getting married, and NOT having kids.

but no, seriously. i have no intentions of marriage and kids, pill side-effects or no pill side-effects.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
With the men thing, I was told by a biology academic last year of a study that had been done on pheromones (the way which we "smell" attractiveness), and all the women went for men that were most genetically different to them, apart from a) the pregnant women and b) the women on the pill
So I think it can be seen that women are attracted to different men whilst on the pill. Whether or not we would be unattracted to our partners if we came off it, I don't know.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
how could you not believe that?!?!?!

mr brightside obviously copy and pasted that from some "credible" webiste which he accidently forgot to source

all the figures and statments in his post were 100% correct

:rolleyes:
nuh arr tjk

>Rhodes, D. Trowsdale, J "Genetics and Molecular Genetics of the MHC" (http://www-immuno.path.cam.ac.uk/~immuno/mhc/mhc.html)
>Kruszelnikic K "moments in science # 1" first published, 1996
>Wedekind, Claus. et al. "Tshirt experiment" (MHC preferences and the Pill) found in Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, vol 260., 1995.
> Aldhour, P ' Darling you smell wonderfully different' New Scientist 1995
>unknown author(s) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_contraceptive

Yes that was serious..and i believe it to be true...

alby

cool duckie
HSC
mr_brightside said:
>Rhodes, D. Trowsdale, J "Genetics and Molecular Genetics of the MHC" (http://www-immuno.path.cam.ac.uk/~immuno/mhc/mhc.html)
>Kruszelnikic K "moments in science # 1" first published, 1996
>Wedekind, Claus. et al. "Tshirt experiment" (MHC preferences and the Pill) found in Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, vol 260., 1995.
> Aldhour, P ' Darling you smell wonderfully different' New Scientist 1995
>unknown author(s) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_contraceptive

Yes that was serious..and i believe it to be true...
you actually researched this?! crap! you must've been pretty bored! so that's why you werent interested in the crazy duckie secks idea last night ey ;)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think ideally the Pill is meant to be taken within an hour of its regular time.
However, you have a 12 hour safety net should you forget.
If you still forget after 24 hours, normal effectiveness of the Pill has returned within 7 days.

That being said, talk to your doctor, I take no responsibility if you get pregnant!

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Haha yeh. Another side effect - may stop your ability to conceive in some cases I think

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
im interested about going on the pill myself... but am absolutely clueless about it!!! do u have to be over 18/have parental consent if ur not?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
No, you have your own legal consent regarding medical things once you turn 14 or 15 (in NSW). Everything from then on in is confidential information, and you decide everything (bar a few circumstances where kids refuse blood transfusions and doctors can override that). Or if you have a mental illness its 18.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)