The play Othello, and the movie Othello (2001). Transformation Essay? Confused. (1 Viewer)

jana--x

HSC
Well, It has been 8 weeks of Year 11 and i'm still in Year 10 mode of writing essays.
I have an in-class essay next friday and i plan to write my essay tomorrow so i can be prepared for next week.

Ever since Year 8 english, i am so used to writing essays based on Themes etc. But now i have to write an essay based on values.

I don't get what the difference is cause.. values and themes are too similar.. well i think they are =/ but anyways.

my essay question is

Discuss how Andrew Davies in his Othello (2001) has transformed the values from Shakespeare's Othello into a contemporary context.

I have 45 minutes to do the essay.
The values that i have done with my class are
- Jealousy
- Revenge
- Idealised love
- Honesty and Deception

I'm thinking of doing jealousy and idealised love because i find them appealing the most =]

But i really don't know the concept of values because i'm scared that on the day, i'll write an essay based on themes instead of values of the movie and the play..

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
To be honest, there really isn't much difference. They're is a lot of crossover between the two. A value is generally something the get be held emotively by the individual, such as 'revenge'. A theme is an overarching concept, generally metaphysical, such as 'globalisation'.

If you stick to the values you've listed, you'll be fine. However, I do believe you should spend your time on each of them, as it shows broader understanding of the whole text.

Olly-Polly

HSC
Hey,
We have just finished Othello.. second year in a row i have done it..
but honestly GUN it with Jealousy and Idealised Love honestly.. because Jealous is the main key in it.
IM not sure what the values are.. but what the other person reply.. he kinda has it right on cue.. theme and Values are pretty much the same thing with Minor differences...

Be glad you didnt take Extention English.. im still in year 10 mode and ive had to write essays like every second night. it sucks.

Good Luck

jana--x

HSC
Okay thanks, guys ^^

lol. i was about to pick extension english but i was too lazy =P
and anyways i picked extension maths over english

hehhhhehhe thanks again =D

Jorsborn

HSC
Don't mean to sound rude,
this is an HSC page, why are you talking yr 11 on it?

Go to prelimiary and you will get more responses.

Last edited:

Bored User

HSC
I think the themes of love and jealousy are great to work with.

Perhaps you can tie them in with Christian values which place emphasis on honesty and sexual morality.

Something interesting to note here: Othello kills Desdemona because he thinks she is "dishonest/false" and unchaste, while Iago kills Emilia because she is honest.

Just some ideas for you to play around with - hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)