The Prestige (1 Viewer)

lengy

HSC
I didn't like the end. Was kind of depressing and anti-climatic.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
it was a great movie! the end was fantastic with that twist. it made me think and i mean really really think coz i was tryin to understand how this guy was still alive as well as the other bloke. i usually watch movies where i just turn off my brain and just relax but with this movie, it just kept me at the edge of me seat with my brain very much active lol Go Christian Bale!

lengy

HSC
It did keep me in the edge of my seat most of the way but I knew what the ending would be like cause it wasn't that hard to figure out what was going on with all the clues they give you and so wasn't as great an ending.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Lengy what part of the ending? Spoiler tag it.

I picked up what was going on with Christian's character (the one who isnt Hugh Jackman) when he threw the ball to his visitor while in gaol. Although I think that's where everyone picked it up.

I also picked up the tank under the stage and this whole theme about self sacrafice. I was like OMG he kills himself each time! Although I kept that to myself. I did let out a whole "OHHHH!!! I GEDDIT."

I loved it.

I think the movie was fanatastic. It misleading in a lot of twists and turns, which just made it feel like the whole movie was one big magic trick.

In fact, I might even see it twice. It might be interesting now that I'm "in on the whole thing".

Lengy (and anyone else who's seen it)

The whole movie made you feel like you should side with Jackman, and then you were misled. I thought that was great.
How is it depressing? The better man survived.

I recommend, especially if you want to be surprised and take a break from predictable plots.

Oh lengy you're just clever :) Most of the people I know who saw it didn't pick it up early.

Here's the trailer everyone, although it doesn't do it much justice and misleads you.. once again

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/theprestige/medium.html

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
Yeah, I got it soon after the Tesla machine revelation. I just thought that most of the film was based on reality and his machine was just a work of science fiction, a plot device, a deus ex machina thrown in finish the story. I guess that's why I didn't enjoy it as much. Loved the rest of the film though. And yeah I guess I was depressed because I didn't know which character to trust. =\

Also the canary cage trick. :(

lengy

HSC
That's possible, as we don't see the inside of the other tanks. Though the shooting of himself scene explaination seems dubious. I knew the film itself was a magic trick, I just didn't figure it out yet.

lengy

HSC
I'm a member. I love IMDB. There's a massive debate about whether that first post can be believed or not. It's a good explanation and Nolan probably wanted the viewers to argue about it, that's what makes films great when people talk about it. The theory though has strengthened my opinion on the film almost to the point where I want to see it again.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
i'm not completely convinced by any of the solutions i've read, but i am leaning towards tesla's machine working. if it doesn't work then there are just so many plotholes that need to be filled

"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it. Because you want to be fooled."

i think this is purposely ambiguous. wanting to be fooled could refer to the inability to find the secret. or it could refer to the reason why you're looking for a secret that isn't there...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
If the tesla machine didn't work then what about the whole "self sacrifice" hint?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Doesn't Jackman kill himself each time considering Cutter was like "they do this after every night?" and you see them taking the tank out?

WHUT? But I was so sure...

lengy

HSC
I think Nolan left it ambiguous as to whether the machine works or not.

P

pLuvia

ur_inner_child said:
Doesn't Jackman kill himself each time considering Cutter was like "they do this after every night?" and you see them taking the tank out?

WHUT? But I was so sure...
That's what I thought too, and you see them pulling the tanks out :confused:

Anyway the film was great, worth watching again :D

Last edited by a moderator:

spiny norman

HSC
I don't get why everyone's so confused - I found the film pretty straight forward. I didn't find any of the plot developments overly "twist"-like either.

I was slightly disappointed, I'd say. Though I did enjoy it, I thought it started incredibly slow (but by the time the film got going I found myself really enjoying it). I thought the acting was terrific, though.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Holy fucking shit. That makes perfect sense.

ARgh. no!...... "You want to be deceived"

I want to remain deceived. :(

What a fantastic movie... in all seriousness definitely one of the better ones of late.

James747

HSC
I was in a rush to leave so I missed the last 20 minutes, and my friend who stayed told me that all the twists got revealed after ----- and i missed it! ><"""

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i saw this last night. i freaking loved it. what an awesome movie!!

I thought that he did kill his double each night with the water tank. He knew that his rival would come to one of his performances, so he knew he would be framed if he went down there. I reckon that the time when the guy was under thestage, watching the 'double' drown, was actually the real Hugh Jackman. The double lived and got shot at the end.

I caught on about the brother when the guy was fighting with his wife Sarah and the guy picked up the little girl outside the room. The brother who wasnt married to sarah was fighting with her, and the girl's actual dad picked her up and took her away from the fighting.

lengy

HSC
I knew there was something odd about Fallon, it stood out like a sore thumb. My suspicions were highlighted by the coffin scene.

passion89

HSC
I loved the film!
I saw it twice...:p

The first time I watched it, I said to my friend 'woah Fallon looks like Christian Bale' and half the cinema heard me haha...at least I picked it up! lol

icecreamdisco

HSC
i thought this was really good. i don't usually like films whose only attraction is providing a convoluted narrative for us to piece together so we can feel smart about ourselves (the usual suspects comes to mind), but i think this goes deeper because it's self-reflexive, and probes our own fascination with such puzzles.

i though the 'science vs. magic' aspect of it was really interesting; the idea that self-sacrifice was the only way their magic could work effectively, and thus the only way they could try and preserve some mystery in a world that's becoming increasingly scientific and secular... that's why the specific period setting worked so well.

in fact, i'll hop on the 'would like to give a second viewing' bandwagon. i thought the first half was a little slow and clumsily paced, though i'm wondering if that was because i wasn't paying enough attention to the subtle details and clues ("are you looking closely?", etc.).

Last edited:
G

gaoOO

I was actually a bit disappointed with the film after all the great things i'd heard about it. It was full of twists and turns though, which did keep me interested.

i was under the impression that the machine did clone. The first time he comes out, he sees the clone and shoots him. But in the very first show, it is the "real" Angier that gets killed and everything after that is just clones dying one after the other. That's why there was that final comment about drowning not being like going home, but... well i forgot the wording by something painful and horrifying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)