The Producers (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
... is a really crappy movie (in my humble opinion).

Apparently it's popular in London, but I found it very... painful to watch. Maybe I'm too "uncultured" to appreciate it.

sarahxx

zapmaa
HSC
yeah i agree. what a let down.....and a waste of $12!!!!

too much singing "im gonna be a producerrr!!!"

uma didnt even come into the movie until 1/2 way through

stupid movie

it was better on the stage, it just lost its touch on the big screen!
musicals should stay on broadway

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I liked it, but I had "Springtime for Hitler and Germany" stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I've seen the stage play. I liked it, but I've no real desire to see the movie.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I had that song in my head too Dreamerish >< ... and the "Keep it gay" also kept in my head ><

Tip to all BoSers
Don't take a date to see The Producers.

Even on Tuesdays when it's $8- it's still $8 too much. But boy am I glad I indulged in buying the large popcorn combo- it's the first time I've ever eaten the whole popcorn box out of *ugh*ness at the movie.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
it was shit compared to the american stage version with cady huffman as ulla, mut a work of genius compared to the god-awful australian version with reg livermore... now that was bad.

overall though, i thought it was fun. i liked will ferrel better than the stage franz's, and uma was a cute ulla. (cady huffman rocks my world though.)

iron yuppie

HSC
I'm gonna be nonconformitive(tm) and say that I actually liked The Producers.

This is actually a decent adaptaion of the original source, unlike nearly every hollywood film adaptation released, though this isn't too special, as the film seems to be copied verbatim from the stage production, extravagance and everything. The actors really do a terrific job of their respective characters, pleying them well over-the-top. (a sidenote, Bert Newton was apparently an option to play Franz Liebkind, who ended up being played by Will Farrel). Most importantly, the songs are toe-tap worthy, with the ability to stay in your head for days, though they aren't lyrical masterpieces. But who cares about this in a mainstream musical. They rhyme, that's all I ask.

However, I still got the feeling that this would have still would've been Much better on stage, giving the actors/actresses a chance to react to the audience and ultimately delivering something absolutely sexy.

A great, toe-tapping experience. Over-the-top, extravagant, kitch, camp, slightly politically incorrect, who could want more. It's seldom often that I have an urge to clap at the end (though I didn't. that would make me a bit of a tool...)

4 star

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
iron yuppie said:
I'm gonna be nonconformitive(tm) and say that I actually liked The Producers.

This is actually a decent adaptaion of the original source, unlike nearly every hollywood film adaptation released, though this isn't too special, as the film seems to be copied verbatim from the stage production, extravagance and everything. The actors really do a terrific job of their respective characters, pleying them well over-the-top. (a sidenote, Bert Newton was apparently an option to play Franz Liebkind, who ended up being played by Will Farrel). Most importantly, the songs are toe-tap worthy, with the ability to stay in your head for days, though they aren't lyrical masterpieces. But who cares about this in a mainstream musical. They rhyme, that's all I ask.

However, I still got the feeling that this would have still would've been Much better on stage, giving the actors/actresses a chance to react to the audience and ultimately delivering something absolutely sexy.

A great, toe-tapping experience. Over-the-top, extravagant, kitch, camp, slightly politically incorrect, who could want more. It's seldom often that I have an urge to clap at the end (though I didn't. that would make me a bit of a tool...)

4 star
i wholeheartedly agree (well, i haven't seen the stage version, but i agree that it's the tops). i thought the songs were brilliant and the whole thing felt like a theatre experience, which is exactly what i wanted. I know of a lot of people who hated the film because it was a musical - well duh, what the crap were they expecting, lol! t's a musical! I has musical numbers!!!! This is no secret!

davin

HSC
N/A
it was a pretty good take of the stage version, and i was surprised will ferrell actually didn't hurt it

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I'm amazed everyone has been comparing and making reference to the stage version, but nobody has mentioned the 1968 movie directed by Mel Brooks which led to a stage version being made and in my opinion, shat all over this remake

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
RCMasterAA said:
Ruined it. Half the time was spent pondering if we should just leave, and the other half was spent watching the bits which were watchable without cringing.

.... maybe I should watch another version to see if it's better. The storyline/plot seemed good (well in the trailers it did)- but the movie turned out to be a lot more... ugh.

Btw what did you guys think of Matthew Broderick? I still remember him primarily as Ferris Bueler.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i thought it was alright, dragged a little towards the end, though :p

sometimes i find will ferrell REALLY annoying, but i liked him in this!

and hhaha throughout the beginning of the movie, i kept thinking "simba and timon!" (matthew broderick + nathan lane)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
seriously? apart from the actually production of 'springtime for hitler' i thought the original was incredibly dull

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
crazyhomo said:
seriously? apart from the actually production of 'springtime for hitler' i thought the original was incredibly dull
agreed.i have seriousl issues with gene wilder...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i thought it was ok- like some people have said it did drag on in bits, but otherwise well done in terms of filiming.

and i agree with bubz on will f too

rumour

HSC
seremify007 said:
what did you guys think of Matthew Broderick? I still remember him primarily as Ferris Bueler.
I love him!!!!!!!!!! I even liked him in Godzilla:uhhuh:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
He still looks like a lil' kid to me =]

*thinks Inspector Gadget*

It's kindof like how I can never imagine Rowan Atkinson playing a serious role... whilst Black Adder was a good show, he was still.. a comedy act?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)