The Pros and Cons of Prefect Duties (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Hi,

I've been considering to apply for a prefect for Year 12, but I'm not too sure if I should. I've heard that you miss out heaps on classes and I really don't want to fall behind on school work or miss out on English lessons. But I also want to be a prefect because, well, I haven't really done any leadership things over the past 6 years at high school and well ... it's never too late to start :D

So what are the pros and cons of being a prefect?

Thanks.

Pink Oni

HSC
I had a friend who was in line to be a school captain and they had to attend a meeting once every week on their lunch break. Also, he was called away to attend and maintain school functions that were on during school time (as well as for planning!).

It will consume a lot of time, but if you have the management skills, then you're all good I guess :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention charity drives that also took up many lunch times.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Hi,

I've been considering to apply for a prefect for Year 12, but I'm not too sure if I should. I've heard that you miss out heaps on classes and I really don't want to fall behind on school work or miss out on English lessons. But I also want to be a prefect because, well, I haven't really done any leadership things over the past 6 years at high school and well ... it's never too late to start :D

Thanks.
According to my teachers, being a prefect means giving back part of what school gave us. Forget about the honour, prize, popularity and respect side of it. Being a prefect is all about showing appreciation towards all the things that school provided us with.

However, I shall answer the question as I do not wish to get accused of spamming. Pros of being a prefect are:
  • It looks good on your resume (or in any application that you would make).
  • There may be prizes & awards coming with it.
  • More respect from teachers & friends and hence better school life.
Cons of being a prefect are:
  • You usually need to spend that extra time doing what school orders you to.
  • Pressure & power!
I actually cannot think more. But I will post up more if I can...

WannaBang?

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Hi,

Thanks.
LOL! Do NOT be a prefect! I know a few of the prefects at my school personally, and each one of them hates it to the point where some of them are being bad role models so they are forced out. You've got to organise events, be good role models, help people out, and give up precious break time to coordinate activites and what do you get out of it?

There actually is one perk of being a prefect, and that is the ability to copy some of the school keys for later use! That's about all I can think of. Other than that, it is bad bad bad. Oh, and also you can steal textbooks and teacher trust you more (which you can take advantage of).

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
According to my teachers, being a prefect means giving back part of what school gave us. Forget about the honour, prize, popularity and respect side of it. Being a prefect is all about showing appreciation towards all the things that school provided us with.

However, I shall answer the question as I do not wish to get accused of spamming. Pros of being a prefect are:
  • It looks good on your resume (or in any application that you would make).
  • There may be prizes & awards coming with it.
  • More respect from teachers & friends and hence better school life.
Cons of being a prefect are:
  • You usually need to spend that extra time doing what school orders you to.
  • Pressure & power!
I actually cannot think more. But I will post up more if I can...
Thanks for such a detailed response.
One of the main pros that you have pointed out however, is also why I want to become a prefect. My school has given so much to me and I feel that if I can give something back just before I leave, it'll leave a lasting impression, or whatever.
I'm not too sure what you mean by "pressure" though.

WannaBang? said:
LOL! Do NOT be a prefect! I know a few of the prefects at my school personally, and each one of them hates it to the point where some of them are being bad role models so they are forced out. You've got to organise events, be good role models, help people out, and give up precious break time to coordinate activites and what do you get out of it?

There actually is one perk of being a prefect, and that is the ability to copy some of the school keys for later use! That's about all I can think of. Other than that, it is bad bad bad. Oh, and also you can steal textbooks and teacher trust you more (which you can take advantage of).
Your ways of thinking humour me lol xD I don't honestly mind missing out on lunches or whatever, I don't do much during those times anyways. I'm more concerned about classes :uhoh: And at my school, I don't think even the prefects can steal textbooks ;D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well. By 'pressure', I mean all the pressure you get from teachers, fellow classmates and younger kids. You need to conduct yourself and you have got your own responsibility as a leader of the school. You need to respond to many things that are thrown out to you. I hope that explained your question.

selablad

HSC
lyounamu said:
Also you get cool stuff like badges, blazer embroidery and/or little books to write down naughty kids' names.

That last is the reason I want to become a prefect :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
selablad said:
Also you get cool stuff like badges, blazer embroidery and/or little books to write down naughty kids' names.

Unfortunately, our prefects do not get those awesome privileges. :mad:

WannaBang?

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Thanks for such a detailed response.
One of the main pros that you have pointed out however, is also why I want to become a prefect. My school has given so much to me and I feel that if I can give something back just before I leave, it'll leave a lasting impression, or whatever.
I'm not too sure what you mean by "pressure" though.

Your ways of thinking humour me lol xD I don't honestly mind missing out on lunches or whatever, I don't do much during those times anyways. I'm more concerned about classes :uhoh: And at my school, I don't think even the prefects can steal textbooks ;D
Don't worry too much about missing classes. From what I have seen, you don't miss much class but I can tell you, you sure miss out on quite a bit of lunch and recess time.

P.S. Trust me, it is quite easy to 'misplace' textbooks. I have 'misplaced' about 5 textbooks which I will 'accidently' post up for sale on this site. It isn't stealing, it it trying to take back what is mine. After all, I do pay school fees. :wave:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
I love being a prefect. And honestly, unless your school see's you as law enforcers, after all the hype has settled and youre into 2nd term, you really arent expected to do much aside from organise things, attend meetings, help with assemblies and basically just be a positive presence.
it does get hectic last term of year 12, with final assemblies, handing over the gaurd, formal organisation.. but it does for everyone.

basically, you need to learn to balance, be able to speak confidently, and really know your school well, and like your school.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
selablad said:

:eek: for us, you just get a badge and go off into your merry way.

WannaBang? said:
Don't worry too much about missing classes. From what I have seen, you don't miss much class but I can tell you, you sure miss out on quite a bit of lunch and recess time.

P.S. Trust me, it is quite easy to 'misplace' textbooks. I have 'misplaced' about 5 textbooks which I will 'accidently' post up for sale on this site. It isn't stealing, it it trying to take back what is mine. After all, I do pay school fees. :wave:
:rofl: @ your textbook comment.
Well, if you don't miss out too much on classes I guess I'm fine with that. But when I did peer support this year, I missed a fair few classes :burn:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
selablad said:

blazers are nifty. id wear mine all the time in winter if it wasnt so heavy. and my badge is shiny
=D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
blazers are nifty. id wear mine all the time in winter if it wasnt so heavy. and my badge is shiny
=D
lol, anyone in my school can wear a blazer, it's just that it's compulsory for prefects :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
lol, anyone in my school can wear a blazer, it's just that it's compulsory for prefects :)
mine is more like a big formal jacket.
we do have special jumpers though with gold stitching that say our name and title though

selablad

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
:eek: for us, you just get a badge and go off into your merry way.

:rofl: @ your textbook comment.
Well, if you don't miss out too much on classes I guess I'm fine with that. But when I did peer support this year, I missed a fair few classes :burn:
I am adding to what everyone else is saying about prefect duties, at my school they hardly do anything in school time so they don't miss out on school classes, but they have to do quite a bit after school/at lunchtimes so maybe that's another thing to consider - how much extra time it takes up outside of school. But yeah, most of the time on our school captain misses out on classes, and even then she hardly misses anything.

Here is a con: at my school, the prefects have to stand up through assembly. Everyone else gets to sit in chairs. Although the prefects do lean against posts most of the time :rolleyes:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, downsides to becoming a Prefect, as soon by Sydney Boys today - you have to do charity events, which involve playing dodgeball against Sydney Girls.....in a skirt. Made quite a lot of us Yr 11 reconsider becoming Prefects - that is, the skirts bit, not the dodgeball nor the charity. :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
selablad said:
I am adding to what everyone else is saying about prefect duties, at my school they hardly do anything in school time so they don't miss out on school classes, but they have to do quite a bit after school/at lunchtimes so maybe that's another thing to consider - how much extra time it takes up outside of school. But yeah, most of the time on our school captain misses out on classes, and even then she hardly misses anything.

Here is a con: at my school, the prefects have to stand up through assembly. Everyone else gets to sit in chairs. Although the prefects do lean against posts most of the time :rolleyes:
:eek: after school? That I haven't thought about. But it wouldn't be too often would it?

LOL. The ones at my school get to sit on stage and present the assembly.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
Hmmm, downsides to becoming a Prefect, as soon by Sydney Boys today - you have to do charity events, which involve playing dodgeball against Sydney Girls.....in a skirt. Made quite a lot of us Yr 11 reconsider becoming Prefects - that is, the skirts bit, not the dodgeball nor the charity. :p
lol i wouldn't mind playing in a skirt :p i do it every lunch time.

EDIT: omg, i just remembered that 2 years ago all the prefects shaved their hair for charity :eek:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
lol i wouldn't mind playing in a skirt :p i do it every lunch time.

EDIT: omg, i just remembered that 2 years ago all the prefects shaved their hair for charity :eek:
Yeah, of course you wouldn't mind wearing a skirt. But these are Sydney Boys prefects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)