The real inspector hound (1 Viewer)

monique66

Is anyone else doing this text/done this text? I just read it yesterday and i was like what the...? i mean i got the idea of them going into the play, but who is Higgs? and what's with Moon being him or something? :confused: this is so confusing, can someone please explain?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
are you going to see the play next term?
i dropped ext1 but i still want to go :p
yeah it's kind of confusing for me too... my friend explained it to me a little but i was still confused.

monique66

yeah at parramatta theatre or somewhere like that, we haven't started reading it as yet in class but we will once term 2 starts

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
My class is currently doing this text, and it doesn't seem too bad, but I interpreted it as Moon and Huck and Puckeridge having transient identities which represent a complexity sorely lacking in the works of Agatha Christie and her characters which are more like cardboard cutouts. If you mean in the physical sense who they are, well Higgs is the original critics who became the dead body seen at the beginning, while Moon replaces him as critic (his understudy so to speak), Moon eventually gets caught up in the play becoming the Inspector and dies, being shot by Magnus aka Puckeridge(Moon's understudy).
Also may I ask for the details of this performance of the Real Inspector Hound?

Pointy Ears

HSC
Hey. Apparently my class is going to watch TRIH at Parra Riverside Theatres i think. Wouldnt it be funny if one of you guys happened to be there? And with my interpretation, i havent looked at that part of it so much- ive sorta only analysed it in terms of how it was a parody of the cosy sub genre but i'll be able to give more info when my class actually starts it.

Abbeygale

HSC
It's best to read the play twice. It's really an excellent text once you get used to it, managing to exaggerate conventions while smashing them at the same time.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
yeah I'm going to the play at riverside theatre

btw ishq do u have a copy of mousetrap on ur comp?

monique66

hehe...looks to me like no-ones started it yet, good thing about it is that its short, i just read it in 5 minutes and got the jist of it. But i reckon theres something deeper i'm missing...anyway it should be good to see the play to understand what its all about...

bEAbEA

HSC
Once you read it a few times, the conventions it is satirising become clearer. Our class had to act it out a few times before we understood in.
Yeah, we are going to the performance in May in Paramatta. Our teacher has said that once we see it performed how it was supposed to be performed, it will become clearer.

Abbeygale

HSC
We've finished it. It satirises conventions with its exaggeratedly isolated setting, slabs of exposition provided by the maid, a glamourous female character who plays tennis in a cocktail dress, yadda yadda yadda while at the same time subverting them by breaching the isolation of the play with the entering and exiting action of the two reviewers and the implication that the murderer is not brought to justice, etc etc. Once you get the hang of it its easy enough to rattle on about it.

Abbeygale

HSC
I don't have any decent ones, but there's a lot of information on it on the internet- our teacher printed heaps of notes out for us.

monique66

i saw it today, it helped me understand it better...watching it makes things so much clearer. in fact the whole audience was ext1 english students.. :rolleyes:

monique66

hehe...i saw it with my eyes at Parramatte Riverside Theatre at 10:30 this morning...lol

boogiewoogie

HSC
I saw it yesterday at paramatta, it was terrible! it totaly wrecked the play for me, the acting was awful, the staging was shocking, everything about it was wrong. The characterisation wasnt appropriate.. gar! it was just awful.

monique66

boogiewoogie said:
I saw it yesterday at paramatta, it was terrible! it totaly wrecked the play for me, the acting was awful, the staging was shocking, everything about it was wrong. The characterisation wasnt appropriate.. gar! it was just awful.
i thought it was okay...it helped me understand it better. I mean it wasn't 'wow' but it helped me get out HSC text so no complains from me...

know_it_all

i saw it at the riverside too
didnt think it did the play justice cos i luv the play
but yeh..stil gud to see how sum1 wud stage it

monique66

YEs, i totally agree. And the voice? *shudders* bad as...and the resolution? Or lack thereof? WTF!!!! thats was crap as, there was no substance and the lighting was not even clever. They need better lighting techs. The only good thing was the gay guy who played moon in TRIH. He was funny.... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)