The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed (1 Viewer)

lawstudent

HSC
just compare the number shootings in the US to Aus, end of discussion. Also, did anyone read that article about this gun advocate being shot by her own husband in the US? Fail hard. Thank you bye bye
Here is the link:Gun advocate shot by husband

ay0_x

HSC
Population of the USA vs the population of Australia...

redmayne

HSC
I can't believe there's actually any discussion about this?? It's ludicrous and disturbing. Availability of guns increase gun crime, evidently. Like it or not, people don't end up using them for defense, they just cause more crime. The SINGLE reason that law is in place in the US, is because it was invented in a time where people could only rely on themselves. There were civil wars, brigands, uprisings, not really any police. And you have to pay attention to statistics, you idiot, without them we'd just be people wandering around talking shit. With no evidence to back it up. We have it relatively good here, and guns would just screw it right up.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC

murphyad

HSC
Absolutely incorrect. No individual, including those collectively calling themselves the government, is justified in coercive agression against another unless acting in self-defense. The axiom makes no mention of vague notions such as the 'social good'.
Sorry if you feel I have misinterpreted this point - perhaps I have. But the way I see it, one has a choice between two 'coercive influences' - the coercive influence of the state in banning the widespread possession of firearms, or the coercive influence of people using those firearms. I guess it comes down to a 'lesser of two evils' situation for me.

Secondly, who the fuck am I, or anyone else to tell other people they are not allowed to possess a gun?
If I may address this point more fully, there are a couple of problems I have with this mentality. Firstly, although I hate a nanny state as much as the next person, we must remember that every individual has basic obligations towards the society they inhabit in order to function within that society, or whatever. Proceeding from basic moral premises, perhaps I could say one of these obligations would be to not kill your fellow citizens, for such an act would be seen by many as immoral. However, the widespread possession of guns increases the chances of such an infringement.

Although a gun may, as you say, be used as a kitchen utensil, such a case would be an exception to the norm re gun ownership. The purpose of a gun is to kill or wound another living thing - therefore, most will buy a gun to fulfil that purpose. Imo, we must apply reasonable standards to the purpose of an object when determining who it should be available to - if you want a can-opener, buy a can-opener; not particularly onerous. Not everyone is a violent criminal, again as you say, but an abundance of guns leads to more instances of violence, nonetheless. Lethal action is an impossible (or difficult) recourse for someone without a gun, but no so when they do have one, meaning that, on the whole, people will be more likely to revert to use of force when able to in order to ensure the best possible outcome for themselves (eg, not being mugged etc.) in accordance with the theory that all people are ultimately self-interested.

The government banning things doesn't make them disappear.
Yes indeed, but this is a false dichotomy. Its not about whether they are present or not; it's a question of quantity. If you make it harder to gain access to a gun, it logically follows that there are going to be less of them around. It may be possible to acquire a gun through the black market, but prices will be higher, availability lower than if they were fully legalised, if the police are doing their job properly. So, in my book, it is safer to legislate gun ownership and account for the possibility that a small fraction of the population may illegally acquire guns than it is to simply fully legalise gun ownership, meaning that a higher percentage of ill-meaning people are going to be able to gain access to them and use them to deprive the liberty of others.

Hopefully I've made myself clear.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
No way in hell should Australians have a constitutional right to bear arms.

That US provision was more applicable in the days of the Wild West and would be in no way good for Australia. Except, perhaps, the Shooters Party.

If you increase the availability of lethal weaponry, you increase the potential for violence.
Do you have statistics to back up your claims? Should we ban kitchen knives as well?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
And, actually, as far as I am aware, statistically the countries where owning a gun is legal have far higher percentages of deaths caused by guns than places where they are illegal. Whether that is a direct result of availability, or more to do with certain places having an ingrained gun culture, I do not know - but it is certainly something to consider.
While gun crime may be higher in countries with high percentages of ownership, this is not to say that overall rates of crime will increase. In many cases, if guns are not available the weapon will simply be substitued. For example, in Russia where guns are much more tightly restricted, has a significantly higher homicide rate than even the united states. Spain and the UK have higher homicide rates than Germany and Australia, but much less guns per capita. The fact of the matter is that a law-abiding gun owner is no more likely to shoot someone than they are to stab someone or smach them over the head with a blunt object in a moment of rage.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Edited the OP. The main reason we need guns is not to protect us from petty criminals, but to protect us from the state itself.
Sorry if you feel I have misinterpreted this point - perhaps I have. But the way I see it, one has a choice between two 'coercive influences' - the coercive influence of the state in banning the widespread possession of firearms, or the coercive influence of people using those firearms. I guess it comes down to a 'lesser of two evils' situation for me.
You continue to conflate banning firearms with eradicating firearms. Every government in the world has consistently failed to wipe out things people demand like drugs and guns.

The choice is not between a society with guns and a society without guns. Its between a society where everyone has access to guns, or a society where only criminals have guns and law abiding citizens are disarmed.

If I may address this point more fully, there are a couple of problems I have with this mentality. Firstly, although I hate a nanny state as much as the next person, we must remember that every individual has basic obligations towards the society they inhabit in order to function within that society, or whatever. Proceeding from basic moral premises, perhaps I could say one of these obligations would be to not kill your fellow citizens, for such an act would be seen by many as immoral. However, the widespread possession of guns increases the chances of such an infringement.
What evidence do you have that it increases the chances of violence? I'd argue it can have a deterrent effect. People are less likely to pick fights and attack weaker people if they know they may be armed and able to respond with lethal force.

If we invoke this principle, can we ban other things that can be used as weapons and increase the chances of violence we would have to ban a lot of things. eg knives, household poisons, gasoline (a powerful explosive), automobiles (can be used to run people down, or to make car bombs), glass bottles, axes, ect ect. Where do you draw the line if instead of just making violence illegal, we make possessing something that could be used violently illegal.

Although a gun may, as you say, be used as a kitchen utensil, such a case would be an exception to the norm re gun ownership. The purpose of a gun is to kill or wound another living thing - therefore, most will buy a gun to fulfil that purpose.
Not at all. Many people buy guns hoping they will never, ever have to use them, let a lone use them to kill someone. If you are attacked, or your home is invaded, merely pointing a gun at the intruder will often be enough to protect you. Most guns are never actually used to kill anyone.

Yes indeed, but this is a false dichotomy. Its not about whether they are present or not; it's a question of quantity. If you make it harder to gain access to a gun, it logically follows that there are going to be less of them around.
True. But there will be less in the hands of law abiding citizens which is a bad thing. Criminal groups in Australia seem to have no trouble getting access to guns.
So, in my book, it is safer to legislate gun ownership and account for the possibility that a small fraction of the population may illegally acquire guns than it is to simply fully legalise gun ownership, meaning that a higher percentage of ill-meaning people are going to be able to gain access to them and use them to deprive the liberty of others.
You're misrepresenting the situation. Australians are not a homogeneous blob who are all affected equally by government laws attempting to regulate firearms. Sure, only a small percentage of Australians have guns and if you or I tried to buy one, we would probably find it difficult and expensive.

But criminal groups do have the connections to get guns and they are overwhelmingly the people who do have illegal firearms. The government has consistently failed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Should we have similar protection of our right to bear arms here in Australia?
No, nothing's wrong with our gun restriction laws now. You can still own a gun if you prove your ability to handle one safely anyway.

Guns are largely horrible little devices which we're all better off without (though they're fun at a shooting range, that really is where their good points end).

Status quo cheers.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Oh yay, SHODAN is here to tell us how good the status quo in Australia is and to repeat points that have already been made in this thread.
Thanks for your bitter reply. Did you know these are forums for free discussion of political and philosophical issues and that reiterating another person's points is not only valued, but encouraged? Perhaps you'd like to limit the freedoms people have on here to express their opinions about certain issues?

I suppose you just dislike the fact that most people disagree with you on this issue. Tough cookies.

murphyad

HSC
Edited the OP. The main reason we need guns is not to protect us from petty criminals, but to protect us from the state itself.

You continue to conflate banning firearms with eradicating firearms. Every government in the world has consistently failed to wipe out things people demand like drugs and guns.
For the second time, I never said government would entirely eradicate firearm usage, That is an unrealistic aim.

The choice is not between a society with guns and a society without guns. Its between a society where everyone has access to guns, or a society where only criminals have guns and law abiding citizens are disarmed.
False dichotomy again. The intention is to minimise the level of people, criminals or otherwise, with access to guns. I've said this over and over.

What evidence do you have that it increases the chances of violence? I'd argue it can have a deterrent effect. People are less likely to pick fights and attack weaker people if they know they may be armed and able to respond with lethal force.
Possibly, but there are problems with deterrence. This may be a stretch, but there's a reason governments around the world aren't advocating their neighbours to develop nuclear weaponry - actually there are several, but one of those is that more nuclear weapons = more chance of some being fired. Imo the same logic applies to firearms.

If we invoke this principle, can we ban other things that can be used as weapons and increase the chances of violence we would have to ban a lot of things. eg knives, household poisons, gasoline (a powerful explosive), automobiles (can be used to run people down, or to make car bombs), glass bottles, axes, ect ect. Where do you draw the line if instead of just making violence illegal, we make possessing something that could be used violently illegal.
A poor application of an absolute moral principle. There are degrees of harmful weaponry - a stick is less harmful than a gun can potentially be, depending on whether you are clobbering or shooting. The difference between a gun and all of these other items is that a gun is designed with the express purpose of being used to kill someone. Any other function, such as being used as a cooking utensil, is secondary. The trick is to be reasonable - we don't need to ban the use of axes, but we do need to punish those who misuse them. I get the feeling you're going to seize on this and go 'ha! why can't we just do the same with guns'? The answer is because killing is a gun's primary purpose - any secondary use can be fulfilled by some other, less lethal implement.

Not at all. Many people buy guns hoping they will never, ever have to use them, let a lone use them to kill someone. If you are attacked, or your home is invaded, merely pointing a gun at the intruder will often be enough to protect you. Most guns are never actually used to kill anyone.
Sorry but I feel like this is nitpicking. The purpose of the object serves as a deterrent, not the object itself. Why is pointing a gun at someone often enough to protect you? Because the assailant is aware of the gun's purpose: to kill or harm them, and the fact that the gun is pointed at them implies that the user is ready to operate the gun in accordance with the purpose for which it was designed.

True. But there will be less in the hands of law abiding citizens which is a bad thing. Criminal groups in Australia seem to have no trouble getting access to guns.
Think of how many more criminals would have guns if they were fully legal. Any aspiring criminal could procure one.

But criminal groups do have the connections to get guns and they are overwhelmingly the people who do have illegal firearms. The government has consistently failed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
I agree that this is a problem. However, its not as though fully legalising them is going to fix it.

Last edited:

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
False dichotomy again. The intention is to minimise the level of people, criminals or otherwise, with access to guns. I've said this over and over.
It's not a false dichotomy. Explain how it is? Even if the government is successful at minimizing access to guns, as you admit, criminals will still have access to guns while law abiding citizens do not.

Possibly, but there are problems with deterrence. This may be a stretch, but there's a reason governments around the world aren't advocating their neighbours to develop nuclear weaponry - actually there are several, but one of those is that more nuclear weapons = more chance of some being fired. Imo the same logic applies to firearms.
Governments that already have nuclear weapons don't want other states to have them because that would undermine their power.

The only time in history that nuclear weapons have been used in war has been when only one state had nuclear weapons and knew it could use them without fear of similar retaliation. For decades now multiple states including enemies such as the US and the USSR and India and Pakistan have had large stockpiles of nuclear weapons and have never used them against each other. This example only serves to further underscore the point that violence becomes less likely when more people are armed.
The trick is to be reasonable - we don't need to ban the use of axes, but we do need to punish those who misuse them. I get the feeling you're going to seize on this and go 'ha! why can't we just do the same with guns'? The answer is because killing is a gun's primary purpose - any secondary use can be fulfilled by some other, less lethal implement.
You have just identified a difference between the two, but you haven't explained why the difference is important. If only punishing those who misuse axes works, why wouldn't it work with guns?

The problem with your reasoning is that you are assuming that hurting or killing people is ALWAYS bad, and that therefore guns are bad. I'm sure you would accept that killing someone if it is necessary for self defense is in fact good. So just like an axe, the gun has a legitimate purpose, which is killing or threatening to kill people for legitimate defensive purposes.

Think of how many more criminals would have guns if they were fully legal. Any aspiring criminal could procure one.
Any aspiring criminal can procure one anyway. Look at the amount of shootings and armed robberies in this country, or the caches of weapons police find bikies and other gangs in possession of. Despite the governments best efforts criminals are still getting their hands on guns.

Last edited:

murphyad

HSC
It's not a false dichotomy. Explain how it is? Even if the government is successful at minimizing access to guns, as you admit, criminals will still have access to guns while law abiding citizens do not.
'Criminals' are not just a homogenous group. Its a question of quantity. Minimising access to guns = minimising amount of criminals who can obtain guns. It's not a case of either the 'criminals' (whoever they might be) have guns or everyone does.

Governments that already have nuclear weapons don't want other states to have them because that would undermine their power.
As I said before, there are several reasons. You've just listed another one.

The only time in history that nuclear weapons have been used in war has been when only one state had nuclear weapons and knew it could use them without fear of similar retaliation.[....]
Cuban Missile/Kashmir Crises are examples of times when we have been perilously close to the brink. Plus: nuclear weapons are far less likely to be used if none exist. This is simple logic imo: risk is increased by arms buildups, both on a national and individual level.

You have just identified a difference between the two, but you haven't explained why the difference is important. If only punishing those who misuse axes works, why wouldn't it work with guns?
It does, but that's not the point.

The problem with your reasoning is that you are assuming that hurting or killing people is ALWAYS bad, and that therefore guns are bad. I'm sure you would accept that killing someone if it is necessary for self defense is in fact good. So just like an axe, the gun has a legitimate purpose, which is killing or threatening to kill people for legitimate defensive purposes.
Killing someone should be absolutely the last step. A situation where you must kill to prevent the deprivation of your own liberty is so extreme that it happens only very rarely, and does not warrant the right of the citizenry to carry around lethal implements as they please.

Any aspiring criminal can procure one anyway. Look at the amount of shootings and armed robberies in this country, or the caches of weapons police find bikies and other gangs in possession of. Despite the governments best efforts criminals are still getting their hands on guns.
Can they now? Any criminal who wants a gun can acquire one? I doubt that. Besides, if they can, an effort should made to further restrict sales, clamping down on the black market or whatever. I am very grateful for the fact that caches of weapons are being taken from bikie gangs, evidence (in some part) that the police are doing their job. The less weapons in total, the better.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
kids... sigh lol simple google search i thought you guys would know how to do that. HERE, in percentages ok people? List of countries by firearm-related death rate: Information from Answers.com see Australia vs America
P.S dieburndie, i have taken statistics, its boring and dry and such a waste of time.
You fool! Of course firearm deaths are higher where there is easier access to firearms. But if we reduce firearm deaths and people just substitute other methods of killing each other and rates of suicide and homicide remain unchanged, we have achieved nothing.

The relevant statistics are the homicide rates (and other crimes statistics which are influenced by gun control).List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at these statistics the United States is nowhere near the top of the list. Plenty of countries like Russia with much tighter gun laws have much higher homicide rates.

Although the rate in the US is higher than Australia, this can be explained by many other factors such as racial tension, income inequality, and America's insane policy of incarcerating people from minor offenses where they become hardened criminals in prison.

If you compare countries in the EU like Switzerland and Finland which have easy access to guns to countries like the UK which has extremely strict gun control, the homicide rates are not different in any statistically significant way.

Also interesting to look at these statistics showing the percentage of people that have been victims of the following crimes: robbery, burglary, attempted burglary, car theft, car vandalism, bicycle theft, sexual assault, theft from car, theft of personal property, assault and threats. Total crime victims (most recent) by country

Australia heads the list and gun control countries like the UK, New Zealand, Canada, Italy and France all have higher victimization rates than the US.

Of course crime statistics never prove anything conclusively either way. At least I can admit that rather than suggesting that one link to Answers.com wins the whole debate.

Last edited:

murphyad

HSC
You fool! Of course firearm deaths are higher where there is easier access to firearms. But if we reduce firearm deaths and people just substitute other methods of killing each other and rates of suicide and homicide remain unchanged, we have achieved nothing.
But, you see, they don't.

http://www.unicri.it/wwk/publications/books/series/understanding/19_GUN_OWNERSHIP.pdf

This is a piece of research that would appear to suggest what I've been saying all along:

Substantial correlations were found between gun ownership and gun-related as well as total suicide and homicide rates. Widespread gun ownership has not been found to reduce the likelihood of fatal events committed with other means. Thus, people do not turn to knives and other potentially lethal instruments less often when more guns are available, but more guns usually means more victims of suicide and homicide.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
But, you see, they don't.

http://www.unicri.it/wwk/publications/books/series/understanding/19_GUN_OWNERSHIP.pdf

This is a piece of research that would appear to suggest what I've been saying all along:
There are hundreds of pieces of research on this topic, all with different conclusions. At the end of the day when you're comparing different countries with unobserved factors other than gun control that influence the data, its going to be impossible to say with much confidence either way whether gun control reduces or increases crime.

This study is particularly poor because it only looks at correlation between gun control and suicide and homicide rates. It does not consider other crimes or other factors that influence crime rates. Perhaps a multiple regression analysis which included other factors known to influences crime rates such as racial tension, income inequality, social policies and other laws, policing expenditures ect ect would actually have some value.

However, even if access to guns does increase crime, I would still advocate gun rights because of the risk of mass genocide that a disarmed population faces which I explained in the OP.

Edit: I'm not going to respond to your other multi-quote post. We seem to be going around in circles now. Perhaps we need some more data on how many criminals in Australia actually have guns.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)