The right to have sex with an animal?? (2 Viewers)

alax dillon

HSC
in Australia it is actually illegal to have sex with a kangaroo whilst sober.
true fact.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Ah good point. That is a very well put together response. So would it be fair to say that we as a society generally allow the killing, torture, raising in bad conditions and the eating of their bodies so it is not much more of a leap to say that in order to be consistent with this behaviour of treating animals a possesions, society should also permit sex with animals?

for the record, i am not a vegetarian and in fact i love eating meat, but i find the way we treat animals very disturbing and despite years of thinking on the issue and searching for an answer, i have yet to find one that satisfies me. I want to keep the status quo because i like meat, but animals are not fundamentally that different from humans that i can easily justify keeping them as slaves, torturing them, killing them and eating their bodies.

If we as a society allow that sort of behaviour, having sex with an animal [assuming it is large enough that you arent physically harming it by doing so] does not seem like it is outside the box of acceptable ways to treat an animal.
I find your reasoning with respect to society similarly troubling. I understand your reasoning - that the social endorsement of the permissibility of slaughtering seems to imply the permissibility of bestiality. Now, while a grown adult would have to be thoroughly ignorant to not know that we kill animals to produce meat, it is very easy to turn a blind eye to conditions such animals are put through. Speaking from the metropolitan perspective, meat is no longer produced in the home or in the community. Much of meat production takes place in factories which are closed from human view and/or sequestered away from the community. I have encountered children, generally around age 6 or 7, who demonstrate great surprise, even sadness, when they realise that beef is actually cow, and that the other meat they consume also comes from animals. That it is even possible for kids this age to be completely unaware that meat has a living origin shows the extent to which society is screened from the reality of slaughtering. The meat industry is complicit in this and actively portrays a paradisical family farm atmosphere in advertising, film, tv, etc. That the social acceptance of the mistreatment of animals is often implicit in this way, rather than explicit and conscious, weakens your argument.

Also note that you are engaging in something of a reductive error here. Certainly, you may reason according to universal principles concerning harm and freedom, but this does not mean that the 'general will' is similarly produced. As far as I can tell, attitudes concerning bestiality are typically informed by taboo and the moral dimension of purity-sanctity which appears in more conservative (?=traditional) moral systems. Such moral reasoning can function quite seperate from considerations of harm. Given the pluralism that characterises modern society, in Australia at least, I expect that an approach which uses a single, universal moral lense to interpret all social trends is likely to be viewed with a certain degree of distaste. Your reasoning that one norm implies another requires a background assumption of a fairly specific system of morality. Even if you feel that you can produce a strong argument for the validity of this system I'm not sure what place it has at this broader social level where it fails to represent the views of most individuals. At the risk of hyperbole, this approach strikes me as somewhat totalitarian.

Finally, I am troubled by this obsession with consistency. In particular, you say that you are troubled by our treatment of animals but that you eat meat anyway because you enjoy it. To reason that consistency then requires you to permit bestiality leads to the perverse conclusion that you ought to remain consistent with your meat consuming behavior even though you recognise its morally problematic nature. I appreciate that consistency is often considered a virtue of moral systems - decidability is important and it would be absurd for a system to say, at once, X and not-X. However, consistency also strikes me as the logician's or economist's approach to moral reasoning in which we forgo the hard question "what should I do in this situation?" for the much simpler technical question "what behavior would be consistent with what I did yesterday?". Not only does this approach replace moral reasoning with the satisfaction of a logical criterion, but it makes strong assumptions about the nature of moral reasoning. Firstly, consistency of this sort is only really useful if a system is founded on exceptionless, universal moral principles. Once we allow particularity and exception seeming inconsistencies may simply be due to 'local' (speaking in terms of conceptual, not physical, geography) differences in the treatment of moral issues. Secondly, intuitive approaches to morality which depend on moral sensibility rather than explicit principles need not follow such strict implication between all moral tenets. Such implication similarly breaks down in systems featuring a diversity of principles, as mentioned above in the social case - consider the medical ethics of Beauchamp and Childress as an example (autonomy, justice, beneficence, nonmaleficence).

HSC
N/A
why do you have to write so much for? are you muslim by any chance? write in normal english

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
Should this right be granted? how do we distinguish if an individual has raped the animal? How do we know if the animal has consented? There is a very fine like here and id like the opinion of others.
well...its not so much that they raped the animal...but yeah animals have rights...its just looked down upon because majority says its wrong...

i was discussing this with a mate the other day about that paedophile guy...he called him sick...and i said that he only calls him sick because majority says its wrong...if it was another young boy kissing another young boy than it would deemed as fine...but because of this "innocence"...in australia we view people getting married at 12 to be wrong...but in islamic countries this is normal...also we view putting jews in gas chambers to be wrong...but the nazi party assumed it was right...and jewish, homosexual and communist persecution was deemed fine by the german public, just as long as the german economy and living standards got better

jaylove

Banned
HSC
Who cares why they want to, we are discussing if they legally should be able to.

Not everyone fits inside your little box of "normal sexual behaviour"...is there any moral or logical reason why they shouldnt be allowed to satisify their sexual desire?

Lol yukk

that kinda made me laugh lol.

have you ever read the bible? and read about joan of Ark? lol... if it was about pleasure only and not reproduction and if it was religiously acceptable for humans to get jiggy with animals then God would've told joan to put one of each animal and let humans rape the animals because thats what i created sex for, pleasure. lol

but thats not the way it went. God created sex for reproduction, and if it was possible to have a human male sperm fertilize a female ducks egg then by all means, who ever is inlove with a duck then go ahead lol.
and the reason God made sex ''pleasurable'' is so that people dont feel like its a duty to reproduce, and also because were fulfilling his requirements by producing offspring so the least he could do was make it fun for humans :)

and plus..
why the hell would anyone want to do that.. its so cruel :(

if you want to go satisfy your self go to kingscross or something and put an animal mask on your prostitute lolll

but leave the poor animals alone :( its slack.

bio_nut

HSC
joan of ark......

hahahahahahah what a stupid troll

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Jaylove

dolphins have sex for pleasure

are they demons?

jazzzod

HSC
Serius, I truly fear the future of humanity because of people like yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)