The Scaling of Extension 2 Maths in recent years (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Can we associate the the lower scaling of Mathematics Extension 2 to the increased availability of tutors?

Discuss

If not, what can we associate it to?

barbernator

HSC
i reckon it is due to the perception that if you do 4u you will get a better atar, and hence people that are not very talented at the subject tend to choose it, bringing the scaling down.

HSC
I don't think this is the main reason.

I think the main reason that contributes to the lower scaling of MX2 is the 'bandwagon' effect that MX2 has racked up. All the tutoring centres encourage you to do MX2 because it scales so well - AND TO GET YO MONIES!! This results in a large portion of the MX2 cohort that is of 'lesser quality'. People who cannot even get a band E4 in X1 are doing X2, for example. When UAC applies the scaling formula, the main factor in determining the 'scaling effect' of subjects is to look at how well the students doing one particular subject (MX2, here) did in their other subjects. Since the overall quality of MX2 students has decreased (in regards to jumping on the bandwagon but not really being at the top of their game in MX2 or other subjects), then the scaling effect will inevitably diminish.

Some stats from UAC cohort numbers:

Clearly, the number of MX2 students has increased since 2007 and back, and I do believe that this is due to the bandwagon effect that people are getting into.

I think tutors would probably increase the scaling of MX2 because they are making the quality of students better.

In order to combat this downfall of scaling, schools need to stop allowing so many MX2 students do it, or, only let the good ones. However, this is obviously not possible, so it seems that the scaling of MX2 will continue to decrease, as this graph shows:

All data derived from UAC.

kazemagic

HSC

I think tutors would probably increase the scaling of MX2 because they are making the quality of students better.

In order to combat this downfall of scaling, schools need to stop allowing so many MX2 students do it, or, only let the good ones. However, this is obviously not possible, so it seems that the scaling of MX2 will continue to decrease, as this graph shows:

O_O?

HSC
I meant tutors in OTHER SUBJECTS e.g. English, Physics etc.

enoilgam

HSC
Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I think that in the past, the scaling of MX1 and MX2 has been a bit over the top. Sure, they should have high scaling owing to their difficulty, but not to the extent to which it scaled pre-2010. So, I think this downward trend is making things a little more fair.

starshine02

HSC
It's probably due to a number of factors but I think its mainly that there are heaps of people choosing the subject without having much talent in maths but taking mx2 simply for the scaling. I've seen quite a few people do terrible in the subject but refuse to drop it because 'it scales well so I'm fine'.

fionarykim

HSC

I think the main reason that contributes to the lower scaling of MX2 is the 'bandwagon' effect that MX2 has racked up. All the tutoring centres encourage you to do MX2 because it scales so well - AND TO GET YO MONIES!! This results in a large portion of the MX2 cohort that is of 'lesser quality'. People who cannot even get a band E4 in X1 are doing X2, for example. When UAC applies the scaling formula, the main factor in determining the 'scaling effect' of subjects is to look at how well the students doing one particular subject (MX2, here) did in their other subjects. Since the overall quality of MX2 students has decreased (in regards to jumping on the bandwagon but not really being at the top of their game in MX2 or other subjects), then the scaling effect will inevitably diminish.

Some stats from UAC cohort numbers:

Clearly, the number of MX2 students has increased since 2007 and back, and I do believe that this is due to the bandwagon effect that people are getting into.

Does this mean the Subject a whole is not scaling as good as it did before?
or is this for individual schools / groups?

qawe

HSC
N/A
The introduction of multiple choice this year brought an element of chance for the lower students, thus increasing their scores, rendering the higher students' static scores of less value.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Yes the increased popularity of the subject from the scaling has made more people to choose it hence bringing the scaling down.
However I am sure that the increased availability of tutors also has a role, some students could think that they are able to succeed in a course if they had a tutor, thus overestimating their ability and hence bringing the scaling down.
To fix this problem I reckon the BOS should just increase the difficulty of the MX2 course by a huge factor. This will deter those people who think they can do MX2 when they can't.

Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I think that in the past, the scaling of MX1 and MX2 has been a bit over the top. Sure, they should have high scaling owing to their difficulty, but not to the extent to which it scaled pre-2010. So, I think this downward trend is making things a little more fair.
I disagree, scaling should always correlate with difficulty because that is only fair (and it usually does correlate with difficulty).
It isn't unfair at all, if you say that 'non-mathematically talented people would find it unfair that they compete with people doing a super-scaling subject'

The funny thing is that there are people the exact opposite, that are good at maths and suck at english, would it not be then unfair to those people that English is compulsory, which I am sure is a much greater blow to an ATAR than a lack of Extension 2 Maths. MX2 can kinda compensate for a less than adequate English mark. So it isn't unfair at all.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I blame the following:

- Selective Schools that just assume all of their students can do it and then let whoever do it, even though they aren't even capable of an E4 in MX1. And some of these schools can't teach MX2 for shit (Sydney Girls, I'm looking at you).

- Teachers that suggest students do it because they are gifted in maths even though they know the student won't work hard at all and won't do that well because MX2 is a lot of work.

YAY!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I disagree, scaling should always correlate with difficulty because that is only fair (and it usually does correlate with difficulty).
It isn't unfair at all, if you say that 'non-mathematically talented people would find it unfair that they compete with people doing a super-scaling subject'

The funny thing is that there are people the exact opposite, that are good at maths and suck at english, would it not be then unfair to those people that English is compulsory, which I am sure is a much greater blow to an ATAR than a lack of Extension 2 Maths. MX2 can kinda compensate for a less than adequate English mark. So it isn't unfair at all.
I agree with this completely.
English brought my ATAR down A LOT more than MX2 brought it up.

HSC
I blame the following:

- Selective Schools that just assume all of their students can do it and then let whoever do it, even though they aren't even capable of an E4 in MX1. And some of these schools can't teach MX2 for shit (Sydney Girls, I'm looking at you).

- Teachers that suggest students do it because they are gifted in maths even though they know the student won't work hard at all and won't do that well because MX2 is a lot of work.

YAY!
lol starting the course with mechanics before even learning basic 2U trig integration

like wat

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There are many different factors - firstly, there can only be so many students that are good at OTHER subjects (this is what causes scaling to increase) - the more students in the course, the more likely there is a larger proportion of students that are less rounded - thus lowering scaling.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
lol starting the course with mechanics before even learning basic 2U trig integration

like wat
My friends are like "there was this girl on 100% at Sydney Girls!"

That's because Syd Girls tests are incredibly easy...

My friends averaged 85% in MX2 and then got ~86 externally THAT'S 50%!!

astaroth

HSC
Just because a student can't get E4 in MX1, doesn't mean he or she doesn't deserve to do MX2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)