• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the strength of UWS and its underrated reputation (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
ok funky_a, im the type who can dish it out but cant take it, so yeah, dun worry about me. i too hated accounting but uni changed my mind, and liek you know many accountants but theyve all changed careers lol. shows wha the trends are lol.
xayma, that seesm like the type of person i am...greedy!

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Well, personally, I would be bored to death if I ever had to learn accounting mainly because I am numerial intolerant. Last week we discussed some statistics for psychology and it almost bored me to tears. Ah I hate maths

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
funky_a said:
Ah I hate maths
I haven't done maths for over a year now. Nothing since my exam during the HSC :p I hate maths as well. YAY! Don't have to know any sort of maths for what i'm studying!

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Lucky you Cape!
My lowest mark in the HSC was maths (72% in general).. but that didnt get counted anyway. But still, you get the point of my math-suckiness

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
the only people that look down on uws are the people that aren't uws students....or fat asian nerds that made it into wollonging, claim they are mature, but still diss uws students.
Gee, aren't I glad that I'm Caucasian, grossly underweight and made it into Wollongong, then. :)

Last edited:

klh

HSC
i hate maths too! but accounitnig assigns meanungs to those numbers...something that high school didnt teach me, which is why i like it. it tells me about whats the biz like, quantitively.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The only thing I hate more than maths (i think) is chemistry. And there is a huge amount of chemistry in intro to earth sciences - its so hard to understand, since i haven't done chem since like year 10, but oh well, I'm slowly getting through the textbook :p

L

LaraB

Cape said:
LaraB, I was told by one of my lecturers, that employers look more at the subjects that you did, not what uni you went to. I don't know if this is the case for law though?
yes you're right - i should've explained the context of the conversation - we were talking about basically if there was any stigma against uws, as that's what other uni's told me at open days etc - they warned me off uws in other words - and he said that, knowing lecturers at the uni and the way they teach and the structure ie order of units etc in law, they'd rather hire a uws person with a credit avge than say a unsw person wit a D average as they're more confident that they could teach a uws student to apply their knowledge.

but yes - subjects do count, i mean, if you choose all crim. law related units later on, you'd be less likely to get a job in family law than someone who did all family law related units:)

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
lol yeah UWS is a good uni, fuck the whole "reputation" bullshit, im just glad im not a sydney SNOB who gets like 99.99 UAI and THINKS that qualifies them 2 shit on everyone else. UWS is better for me coz im more comfortable with the ppl that are there ie they don't think theyr'e better than u or smarter.

L

LaraB

Korn said:
I dont know, i guess it depends on what industry and career ur in, cause i remeber at work experience some of the lowerrung Accountants (i think they were Accountants) were debating UWS in front of me, one of them went to UWS Parra (i think) and said it was good but the others were crap, and the other ppl were saying UWS as a whole is crap, but the senior Accountants didnt say that UWS was crap
true - eg ive been told that if you want to go into politics or political studies/law, employers wont look at you twice unless you were at ANU or USYD

similarly, my mum's a primary school teacher and said that UWS students are at a major disadvantage when it comes time to doing their Prac's at schools, coz a lot of schools including hers refuse to accept them and take prac students from other unis, because the Admin at uws is really crap and they get the pay for it late, the students dont have the full details etc so its a hassle for the teacher in charge of the student....

i know this isnt employment, but its kinda similar given that like, its ur onlypractical experience before you apply for a job as a teacher

Generator

HSC
N/A
HerO said:
lol that's REPPED.

4 any1 who doesn't know what Generator meant by that, he meant, shady_03 will become another contradictory bullsh*t artist lol
Bullshit artist from time to time, maybe, but that's about it.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
hero, you obviously don't like UWS, so why the hell are you wasting your time visiting the 928495403 UWS threads and dissing it and it's students ? just get the fuck out and save yourself while you still can. the end.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
shady_03 said:
lol yeah UWS is a good uni, fuck the whole "reputation" bullshit, im just glad im not a sydney SNOB who gets like 99.99 UAI and THINKS that qualifies them 2 shit on everyone else. UWS is better for me coz im more comfortable with the ppl that are there ie they don't think theyr'e better than u or smarter.
For fuck's sake, when will people realise that uni is a place you go, not who you are?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
withoutaface said:
For fuck's sake, when will people realise that uni is a place you go, not who you are?
Yes, that pisses me off to, but a uni can have an influence on who you are as a person, just like a school environment influences your perception of things

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
Annegelic said:
hero, you obviously don't like UWS, so why the hell are you wasting your time visiting the 928495403 UWS threads and dissing it and it's students ? just get the fuck out and save yourself while you still can. the end.
I got nothing against UWS, and i'm not dissing it either, but if I happen 2 detect a wrongdoing, I shall correct wateva it may be so that it would sound reasonable :cool:

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I know UWS is great and all, and I'm all for supporting it - but it seems a bit like we're attempting to justify attending UWS, or our choice to go to UWS.

j_davo24

HSC
christ_ine said:
I know UWS is great and all, and I'm all for supporting it - but it seems a bit like we're attempting to justify attending UWS, or our choice to go to UWS.
Exactly. There shouldn't be any need to. You went/go to UWS because you wanted to, and if you didn't what too then why are you bothering? As was said before, it's a uni, they teach, you learn, it's the same at every uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)