The Stress is Overrated (1 Viewer)

Bendent

HSC
dagwoman said:
Law #547 of Internet Forum Insults:

Thou shalt not accuse one of poor grammar while spelling the word "grammer" and misusing "you're".
when people start swearing in an argument i take it that they're losing.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
T-mac01 said:
hahaha lady! You are the one who's been throwing all the in your face insults. Guess you should be open minded enough to see that.
Yes I do realise I was insulting you in the post but I hope you realise it was in retaliation to the 'you don't understand anything' comment you made.

T-mac01 said:
Also, my previous comments never suggested that I think I'm smarter than everyone. Maybe that's why you did shit coz of poor analytical skills. Personally, I think you have an interpretation ability of a 14 year old, to be realistic.
Hmmm, maybe I do, or maybe you have the grammatical skills of a 14 year old?

T-mac01 said:
Maybe the reason I screwed up English is because I suck at English. Have you ever considered that this could be a direct relationship?
EXACTLY. That was my point all along. Some people just don't get the results they want because 'they suck', despite the level of effort they put in.

T-mac01 said:
1. Usually people who get below 70 don't try, even for some of the 80s/90s. I know a handful of them from highschool.
2. You don't understand because you might belong to one of the minorities. Seriously, I've never met or even heard anyone seriously tried but only managed a 70. Usually, people joke by saying, if I need to get a 70, I wouldn't even bother studying. Although you can't take it literally, I think they're not totally wrong.
3. For those who tried but got a 70. Those guys might have a poor academic background before starting year 11. I think that would be a huge disadvantage. There's a trend that people who did well all the way from highschool will get good HSC scores eventually. There might be some exceptions such as drug addicted during HSC, or started binge drinking since 16 17 is just that kind of age for such activities. So I think you were probably fallen behind the specified standard before you started HSC.
So now do you get the picture?
I have also heard plenty of people say that its extremely easy to get a UAI of 70, but I am struggling to get there (and I am one of the biggest nerds ever), - and I'm not addicted to drugs, not an alcoholic, and I was getting excellent marks my whole schooling life until Years 11 and 12, even though I studied more than ever.
See, apart from the 'lady' and 'chick' remarks (no offence, I really hate those kind of terms, my name is Ninny, not chick), and the partially insulting comments, that was a good, and 'productive' post (if that is the right kind of term). Thankyou.

Dagwoman - thanks for the corrections lol. But seriously, grammar is associated with the relationships of words in sentences, not their spelling (that's what I was taught about it)...

Last edited:

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
ok. You worked your ass off but only come close to a 70. Who is to blame? People who got higher scores than you?
Maybe you prefer to blame yourself since the whole point of the argument seems to lead to the point.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
^ I'm not blaming anyone for my marks. The people who get the high marks also do the work and they deserve them. I'm not blaming my teachers because they have all been great.
I don't know if I blame myself, but if anyone is to be blamed it is me for being dumb?

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
*Ninny-mole* said:
^ I'm not blaming anyone for my marks. The people who get the high marks also do the work and they deserve them. I'm not blaming my teachers because they have all been great.
I don't know if I blame myself, but if anyone is to be blamed it is me for being dumb?
which subjects did you do? How did you study for them?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I did english, english extension 1, maths, maths extension 1, economics, legal and studies of religion 1.
For economics and legal, I write notes and constantly go over them.
For RE and maths, I do practice questions and read my notes.
And for english I wrote a whole crapload of notes and memorised my texts, yet, it was to no avail as I couldn't answer the questions properly.
I'm pretty okay with legal and RE if I have time to study. Economics is really hard for me, as is extension maths. I didn't really put much effort into extension english and don't deserve a good mark for it. Maths really depends on the topics and I USED to be good at english. Lost my flair...

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
suggestions:

You seem to take too much notes. Maybe you need that for Legal studies and/or English. But still, I think this is where you're wasting your effort.

You mentioned that you constantly go over notes to memorise them. Actually, memorising what you learn doesn't mean you've gotten grasped of the material. l can't say much for English as I'm a failure of that subject myself. However, for the rest of the subjects, what you need is the main point and build branches along with it. Subjects like math although depends on ones ability, there are ways to help you understand. I presume you also take notes for math. That actually won't help you as much as you think.

Personally, I've never taken a lot of notes for any of the subjects I did. Usually, I just wrote a few words regarding the heading for me to keep track of where I've progressed for the topic. This also helps me to build up a concept map. A concept map doesn't have to look like a map, it can be just like in the text book itself with a series of headings and subsectoins. The thing to keep note of is these few words (sub-sections) will eventually develop into more and more subsections to eventually reach the detail of the main topic.

E.g. If there are sections A, B & C.
You write them down and later comes back, usually after reading once already. There are usually subsections in A. If not, just write what A's all about. If there are two things (key vocabs which are usually highlighted) write those down and then move to section B and C. Do the same thing and come back explain what the subsections in A, B C and the definitions of its voabularies. Before, you know it, you've already pretty much remembered 4/5 of the material if not everything. The thing worth mentioning here is that everytime you reread the material, you read it a lot faster, so don't think this is going to take a long time. Usually, for me, if I took an hour to read a certain chapter, the second time will usually take me 30 minutes, and then 20 minutes, etc.
Eventually, you'll know what's coming up next.

This is just one way I find easier to remember things. You gotta find your own.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
T-mac01 said:
hahaha lady! You are the one who's been throwing all the in your face insults. Guess you should be open minded enough to see that.
I'm being a "shithead" because I find reactions coming from chicks like you hilarious.
The reason I choose not to reveal my course is pretty obvious since my comments are considered to be shithead like. I certainly don't want anyone around me think I'm a shithead.
Also, my previous comments never suggested that I think I'm smarter than everyone. Maybe that's why you did shit coz of poor analytical skills. Personally, I think you have an interpretation ability of a 14 year old, to be realistic.
Maybe the reason I screwed up English is because I suck at English. Have you ever considered that this could be a direct relationship? Anyway, I can't judge on my poor standard of English grammar. I leave some of the English wiz to correct me if any of them stop by. I would be surprised if you bothered studying grammar properly anyway. Aussies just don't care about English grammar.
Anyhow, I really should give up on even trying to make you understand anything. It just seems hopeless. But since you've requested, I just want to add a few things.
1. Usually people who get below 70 don't try, even for some of the 80s/90s people. I know a handful of them from highschool.
2. You don't understand because you might belong to one of the minorities. Seriously, I've never met or even heard anyone seriously tried but only managed a 70. Usually, people joke by saying, if I need to get a 70, I wouldn't even bother studying. Although you can't take it literally, I think they're not totally wrong.
3. For those who tried but got a 70. Those guys might have a poor academic background before starting year 11. I think that would be a huge disadvantage. There's a trend that people who did well all the way from highschool will get good HSC scores eventually. There might be some exceptions such as drug addicted during HSC, or started binge drinking since 16 17 is just that kind of age for such activities. So I think you were probably fallen behind the specified standard before you started HSC.
So now do you get the picture?

LOL why do people even read this bullshit? This doesn't even constitute the 5 minutes i wil be using of my life to respond. Who are you to pass on bullshit judgement like this? I've read every response you've made in this thread, and apart from the pseudo-intellectual crap, you come across as an arrogant prick. What, you upset or bitter that a pile of exams have absolutely sucked all your good spirits? Working hard is one thing, but things like this should be treated subjectively - based on one's goals, aspirations, limits, wants, dreams bla bla bla. Getting a 99 UAI doesn't mean shit my friend. It is not a standard of success. Not everyone wants to be a doctor, dentist, lawyer, engineer... and now that i think of it, if getting a 99 means turning out like you, then i'd have second thoughts..

Sure, you worked hard. Congratulations. No one gives a shit :) I know plenty of people who set a goal for themselves, worked their asses off, and they got their just deserves. Not everybody is academically inclined. I bet you don't have a creative or imaginative mind - everything is just linear and formulaic for you. Maybe I'm wrong.. who am i to pass judgement on you? :rolleyes:

IF i ever seee you, you will definitely be geting punched in the face.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Not everybody is academically inclined. I bet you don't have a creative or imaginative mind - everything is just linear and formulaic for you. Maybe I'm wrong.. who am i to pass judgement on you? :rolleyes:
High levels of academic ability and creativity aren't mutually exclusive. People with 99.xx are obviously academically inclined (this includes talent) and most of them do well in subjects which are not science related. So get your facts right before you assume that everyone who is academically inclined are only good at maths and science subjects. (BTW I propose that english is not "linear and formulaic" as you put it. If you suggest otherwise and you ended up with a crap score in english then you're a retard.)

BTW please don't link the word "aspirations" with UAIs of less than 70. That's just plain wrong usage of that word.

More like an uppercut haha.

Last edited:

illmatic

NaS
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
High levels of academic ability and creativity aren't mutually exclusive. People with 99.xx are obviously academically inclined (this includes talent) and most of them do well in subjects which are not science related. So get your facts right before you assume that everyone who is academically inclined are only good at maths and science subjects. (BTW I propose that english is not "linear and formulaic" as you put it. If you suggest otherwise and you ended up with a crap score in english then you're a retard.)

BTW please don't link the word "aspirations" with UAIs of less than 70. That's just plain wrong usage of that word.

More like an uppercut haha.

I never associated the word "aspirations" with UAIs of less than 70..so..umm.. what are you talking about my friend?

anyway, my point appears to have flown way over your head like a plane. my facts aren't facts. it was a judgement.. a baseless one at that. that was the entire point. who am i to be making presuppositions like that, because i am in no position to do so. Likewise with that geekazoid T-Mac, who seems to believe that he has some sort of gift allowing him exclusive insights into the routines of people based on a few pixelated texts he reads on his monitor

student.hsc

HSC
LOL

T-Mac has really hit the nail on the head. People dont like what he's saying, but it's true.

Personally I'm one of those ppl who coast through school and still kick your ass (sorry). I'm just finishing yr 11 and i didnt really study at all this year; after the half-yearly exams I was topping most of my subjects and had a predicted UAI of 98.5-100. Now it's around low 90's because ppl have started to work and i've only just realised it:- I believe that ANYONE could get a uai of 90+ if they were SERIOUS about getting it.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
student.hsc said:
LOL

T-Mac has really hit the nail on the head. People dont like what he's saying, but it's true.

Personally I'm one of those ppl who coast through school and still kick your ass (sorry). I'm just finishing yr 11 and i didnt really study at all this year; after the half-yearly exams I was topping most of my subjects and had a predicted UAI of 98.5-100. Now it's around low 90's because ppl have started to work and i've only just realised it:- I believe that ANYONE could get a uai of 90+ if they were SERIOUS about getting it.
Uhhh, what school do you go to?

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Yes, you don't have any basis for making the statement (or should I say implication since you don't seem to understand that things don't need be made explicit for a point to be made) which is because there are in fact many people with 99.xx who are "creative."

On the other hand, a lot of what T-mac has said or alluded to is true. The only reason people obtain crap UAIs is because they don't try hard enough. This is not based on something pulled from out of nowhere. If someone really wanted a good UAI, they would study. Not only that, they would seek to find the right way to study. Having done those two things, there is no reason why anyone would not go on to obtain a decent UAI.

Yes I know there are people with family, financial etc. problems. But these people are in the minority and we're talking about the majority. People without such problems and achieve a low UAI clearly didn't put enough effort into studying. Sure, a perfect UAI may not be attainable for many even if they studied all day but a good UAI is definitely within the reach of anyone who knows how to prioritise their time.

Last edited:

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
student.hsc said:
Just because you can 'coast through school' and manage a UAI of 90+ doesn't mean that everyone (even those who study) are able to do so. I studied every day in stuvac (and studied pretty constantly through the year) and will not have a UAI near 90. And I was 'serious' about doing well too.

student.hsc

HSC
hmmm, mabye this year- how about last year? or the year before last? i've seen it in ppl in my school- it is possible to work ur way through school- one of my friends had 8 hrs of tutoring every weekend through yr9-present and he seriosuly kills himself working- not just yr 12 either, he worked through yr 9, 10, 11 and all the years before that, the work in yr 12 is based on yr 11 and yr 10 and so on all the way down to kindergarden. If you need to work you cant just decide to work and get good marks in yr 12 if you have a poor understanding of concepts/lack of knowledge regarding material in previous years. I'm sorry but if u have gotten a bad mark it's because u havent worked enough. mabye u worked ur ass off this year- but did u work to the point of getting good marks in pervious years?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
student.hsc said:
I'm sorry but if u have gotten a bad mark it's because u havent worked enough. mabye u worked ur ass off this year- but did u work to the point of getting good marks in pervious years?
I have worked hard my whole schooling life, you could ask anyone that knows me - friends, family, teachers, and workmates.
I was/am a frigon nerd and lived like a fucking hermit (especially for the last 2 years) working my ass off studying, trying to get good marks.
You don't know me, nor do you know other people who are in a situation like mine, and you have no reason to judge. Just because people work hard at getting good marks doesn't mean that they will always achieve them, nor does it mean their UAI will be 90+.
Yes, I have worked hard. Yes, it was consistent. Yes, I got good marks previous years. Yes, I 'upped the ante' for Year 11 and 12. But NO, my UAI won't be 90. In fact it will be far less than that despite the fucking energy, time and tears I have put into all my work. I hate smart-asses who think that because something works for them, it will work for everyone else. It is a narrow-minded view and plain stupid thinking. Oh, and I would appreciate it if you didn't rub it in that I'm a fucking failure.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
You're NOT a failure. If you've worked as hard as it sounds like this year, you should be bloody proud, because many people can't say the same about themselves. I hope you get the mark you want. What do you want to do next year? (Sorry if it's arleady been asked) And is that attainable with the marks you think you'll get? That's all that matters. As long as you know you've worked hard and you get the UAI for your course, that's all your UAI is good for. People who think their UAI is a reflection of their worth are just sad, because it means they obviously don't have anything else going for them to gain confidence from, just a couple of digits.

shimmy&shine

HSC
student.hsc said:
hmmm, mabye this year- how about last year? or the year before last? i've seen it in ppl in my school- it is possible to work ur way through school- one of my friends had 8 hrs of tutoring every weekend through yr9-present and he seriosuly kills himself working- not just yr 12 either, he worked through yr 9, 10, 11 and all the years before that, the work in yr 12 is based on yr 11 and yr 10 and so on all the way down to kindergarden. If you need to work you cant just decide to work and get good marks in yr 12 if you have a poor understanding of concepts/lack of knowledge regarding material in previous years. I'm sorry but if u have gotten a bad mark it's because u havent worked enough. mabye u worked ur ass off this year- but did u work to the point of getting good marks in pervious years?
not neccessarily true. I failed maths in year 11, 10, 9, 8, but not 7, because back then i tried too hard at maths and just passed. In year 11 my final mark was 18%. no more no less.

One can start getting good marks in year 12. I think the syllabuses (or is it 'syllabi'?) makes it possible to review past skills while studying the course. For example, you can still learn to write an essay in year 12. I crammed the whole preliminary maths course in two weeks in January while in year 12, and succeeded in it! :)

I honestly learnt nothing in biology, i did nothing, played around, nearly failed, but in year 12 i decided to change my ways and start paying attention and learn. I have since become a good biology student getting above average marks.

ditto for english. I never cared about writing an essay or properly studying, writing up notes, throughout year 7 - 11. I didn't care that I don't even remember how bad or good i was in junior school. In year 11 I was ranked quite low, and getting 10/15s consistently. I didn't really change my ways, but i think my innate love of english crept up or decided to awaken, and i suddenly appreciated the English course much more, and began getting consistent 14 / 15s. By year 12, I got 14.5 /15s for the first three assessment tasks. (although that remarkable feat went stagnate, and now I'm averaging 13s, but anyways)..

I completely disagreee with student.hsc. One can change their ways a bit before or during year 12, and still succeed ( I truly hope i do).

Never underestimate your skills. Never underestimate other's skills either!

but everyone is in different financial, emotional, physical, medical, etc conditions or situations with different capabilities and intelligence.

PS, ninny-mole you are not a failure you are still yet to find your strengths. Some people measure success against the UAI, you don't have to do the same. and you never know, you might somehow get that 90+ UAI. NEVER GIVE UP SWEETIE!!! :) :) think positively (not unrealistically)

Last edited:

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
illmatic said:
LOL why do people even read this bullshit? This doesn't even constitute the 5 minutes i wil be using of my life to respond. Who are you to pass on bullshit judgement like this? I've read every response you've made in this thread, and apart from the pseudo-intellectual crap, you come across as an arrogant prick. What, you upset or bitter that a pile of exams have absolutely sucked all your good spirits? Working hard is one thing, but things like this should be treated subjectively - based on one's goals, aspirations, limits, wants, dreams bla bla bla. Getting a 99 UAI doesn't mean shit my friend. It is not a standard of success. Not everyone wants to be a doctor, dentist, lawyer, engineer... and now that i think of it, if getting a 99 means turning out like you, then i'd have second thoughts..

Sure, you worked hard. Congratulations. No one gives a shit :) I know plenty of people who set a goal for themselves, worked their asses off, and they got their just deserves. Not everybody is academically inclined. I bet you don't have a creative or imaginative mind - everything is just linear and formulaic for you. Maybe I'm wrong.. who am i to pass judgement on you? :rolleyes:

You are welcomed to try. Just becareful that you don't get a combo of facials instead.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
illmatic said:

Ok, I initially didn't want to get into arguments from your comment. But a lot of what you've mentioned is mind bothering.

Who am I to pass on bull shit judgements?
I am a student just like the rest of us. I have the right to pass on judgements. It's up to others to take it or ignore it. I also want to ask you this. Who are you to judge "my comments coming from experiences." Maybe my theory doesn't apply on an aggregate scale. It doesn't mean it's a complete fallacy.
Piles of exams do depress people's spirits, I'm one of them. Do you think you have the right to say that exams can never have that kind of influence on people? What have you done to give you the right to judge on that.
"Things to be treated subjectively" What do you even mean man? The underlining fact that niny's being disagreeing with me is because she has equal amounts of goals, aspirations, dreams, etc. And working hard is a tangible experience, don't tell me anything else.
You keep bagging the kind of person my words have painted me. I don't know if I am arrogant and there is nothing dragging me to deny it. But what bothers me about it is that you seem to think making direct comments showing no conservative attempts to protect other people's honours and feelings is being arrogant. A person who looks down on others is arrogant. A person who see other people's stupidty is arrogant. If you haven't noticed, Niny's the one who's been trying to say she is stupid while I'm the one who's been protecting her own hidden strength and intelligence. Personally, I would value intelligence and 'creativity' more than hardwork and keenness. Yes, I know I said people reached their goals because of these quality attributes. But wouldn't you agree the reason a lot of people admire those with good academic background might be becacuse they think those were the only ones that are actually super intelligent?
If you think people with good marks are wankers because of me, that's fine. But I see a sense of arrogance in you just as strongly as you think of me. Just because you got a shit mark doesn't mean getting a 99 is anything but a success. For my information, a lot of people do care if someone got 99.

I have to ask again, what do you mean by "worked their asses off and got their just deserves"? What's that got to do with anything you've been trying to argue against me. Just to remind you, one of the things that brought this whole argument is because some people worked hard and didn't get their truly deserved marks. I would think this is the major dilemma. If what you've added was not pulled from your ass, that would just help to further clarify that if not getting the desired mark is due to a lack of hardwork.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)