The Stress is Overrated (1 Viewer)

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
I feel for you. I have worked pretty hard once secondary school started and the overall results are disheartening. My legal studies exam made me have a break down while I was writing the essays and almost walked out of the exam room. However I got in 2nd booklets in the end for both of them but still. Someone told me, if your uai isn't that good, you just start lower that's all. Commitment is an important factor in life and you never know what oppurtunities may arise... all the best.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
^ it is extremely disheartening. Especially if you are someone like me who honestly tries so hard, but nothing comes of it.
And don't worry wouldbedoctor, you aren't alone with legal either. I had a total breakdown in economics, crying and everything, because I was sick (vomiting bug) and super stressed as I had not studied properly and had practically no sleep because of it. The next day was my legal exam and I hadn't studied because I was still sick and I still hadn't slept, and I was crying all morning. It was horrible, I even had to have a 'special' supervisor to watch me in case I started vomiting everywhere. In the end, because I could barely open my eyes or think clearly, I just put my pen down, shut my books and closed my eyes hoping I wasn't going to spew. The supervisors let me leave 20 minutes early. They were probably 2 of the most stressful days of my life, especially because I was sick for the 2 exams I most cared about. Needless to say, despite my efforts in those subjects all year, I totally failed in the end. I did apply for misadventure but I hardly think it will help my dismal marks.
dagwoman and shimmy&shine, thanks guys but despite my efforts, it's hard not to feel like a failure when my marks aren't reflecting my effort. Oh well, it's over and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do next year. I was going to wait for my marks/UAI to help me determine whether or not I should go to uni, but I don't think I'll apply anymore. Maybe as a mature age student in a couple of years if I find myself still working at coles? I was thinking about policing but after the last couple of months I don't think I have the mental capacity to do it. Hmm, I'm really not sure, and I know it doesn't really make sense that I care so much about my marks, but I have my reasons (stupid though they are) and I really wanted to do well. But it is all over and doesn't matter now. Thanks anywhos. Wow, this is a huge post, sorry.

Last edited:
H

housemouse

Well you can put in heaps of effort during your whole schooling life however if your not achieving what you think you should be, then your probably looking at everything the wrong way such as how your studying and so on.

haque

HSC
As long as u get into the courses u want i don't see waht the big deal is-yes we may be disappointed because we didn't perform to our potentials(from my experience this year). different people have different talents

T

Testpilot

Instead of arguing, there are many people go about the HSC and how they view the HSC. I go to the local government school. There are people there who willingly miss approximately a whole term's worth of school over year 12, those that go to school but not to classes and then there is a significant amount of people who just don't care.

My friend, for example, is an absolute genius, puts no effort in (I mean doesn't go to classes, doesn't listen in class etc. So much so that we joke that even he doesn't know what subjects he is doing.) However he still gets in the 90s for all course that don't require information to be remembered. For example he is good at maths and can answer most questions without being taught.

On the other hand there is me. I'm not exceedingly intelligent (hell I've even been put in remedial classes in primary school) but i work very hard. I did 5 hours per night from the 1st day of the HSC to the last day of the HSC, just to give myself a chance of getting the UAI i want (94). But i give others the impression that i don't work hard at all. I don't believe I will get where I want to be after doing the HSC.

What I'm trying to say is that there are some people who will naturally go well in the HSC without much effort and then there are others that will put in a lot of effort and still fall short. Who is to say that either has succeeded or failed because in the long run the effort that you put into the HSC is a representation of yourself and the effort you put into life and eventually things will even themselves out. So T-mac and the like of arogant people in this thread, pick up your game because there will always be somebody after your position.

student.hsc

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
I have worked hard my whole schooling life, you could ask anyone that knows me - friends, family, teachers, and workmates.
I was/am a frigon nerd and lived like a fucking hermit (especially for the last 2 years) working my ass off studying, trying to get good marks.
You don't know me, nor do you know other people who are in a situation like mine, and you have no reason to judge. Just because people work hard at getting good marks doesn't mean that they will always achieve them, nor does it mean their UAI will be 90+.
Yes, I have worked hard. Yes, it was consistent. Yes, I got good marks previous years. Yes, I 'upped the ante' for Year 11 and 12. But NO, my UAI won't be 90. In fact it will be far less than that despite the fucking energy, time and tears I have put into all my work. I hate smart-asses who think that because something works for them, it will work for everyone else. It is a narrow-minded view and plain stupid thinking. Oh, and I would appreciate it if you didn't rub it in that I'm a fucking failure.
Ok, I'm sorry if I upset you. But let me say this: while it is true that I dont know your situation, you dont know that because you dont my situation either. All either of us can do is relate each other's apparent situations to people we have seen/known. The syllabus is based more on "academic integrity" that actual intelligence. Now what that actually means is open to interpritation but basically the UAI is designed to rank you according to your capacity to operate as an academic entity i.e. research, study etc. Now, I'm willing to admit that some subjects require a high level of analytical/concetual prowess such as the extension topics and probably english too. What I'm not prepared to admit is that subjects such as humanities and sciences require these higher-level skills. For example chemistry- you have to remember a finite number of facts regarding reaction dynamics etc. and you have to understand scientific method. Thats about it. Humanities are even more extreeme e.g. History requires a knowledge of dates/events/period opinions and limited interpritation. And i personally believe that with a set of classes such as: General maths, english (standard), senior science, mod history, ancient history (or some such) can be achieved in by work- even maths can be broken down into "template" questions and learnt and english can be learnt by memorising analysis of texts and practice. Section 2 and 3 especially can be learnt.

Mabye your right and I just cant comprehend your situation, this is just my perspective and opinions based on my observations of the HSC/school. I'm sorry if I offended you/was bieng an arrogant cock:- but all I have is my perspective. I dont think that getting <90 UAI is a failure, however I still believe that 90 UAI is achievable by work and before you repeat your previous post consider that you dont have a universal perspective either and perhaps are underestimating the degree of commitment I am advocating here (not that I have such a degree of commitment:- but others in my school do). I am sincerely apologetic if I offened you and I admit that these are only my opinions:- but all I have is my perspective. (hurrah for use of repetion for emphasis)

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
^ I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say... Are you saying that it is easier to get a UAI of 90 with humanitarian subjects? I don't understand if that's your point or not?
My subjects were English Advanced, English Extension 1, Mathematics, Maths Extension 1, Legal Studies, Economics and Studies of Religion 1. I would say it's a good mix of humanities and the 'analytical' subjects, wouldn't you? And it might suprise you when I tell you that I found economics as hard as extension maths, but it is true.
But this is my point, regardless of the amount of study and work I put in, and regardless of the actual subjects I did, I will not get a UAI of 90.
And I disagree with you, I believe I am expressing a universal perspective. At the same time as never underestimating the amount of work put in by people who get the 90+ UAI's, I am also saying that even those who put in the same amount of work, just cannot get to the same point. I have used my own situation as an example. I put in the same amount of effort that my classmates have, and in many cases, alot more effort, yet they have been getting better marks than me. They will also get a better HSC result than me. I'm not complaining, they do deserve it. But there is no chance my UAI will even reach the 80's, despite how much I have tried. Basically, I am trying to say that a 90 UAI is not always achieveable through work, not even the level of commitment you are 'advocating'.

student.hsc

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
^ I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say... Are you saying that it is easier to get a UAI of 90 with humanitarian subjects? I don't understand if that's your point or not?
My subjects were English Advanced, English Extension 1, Mathematics, Maths Extension 1, Legal Studies, Economics and Studies of Religion 1. I would say it's a good mix of humanities and the 'analytical' subjects, wouldn't you? And it might suprise you when I tell you that I found economics as hard as extension maths, but it is true.
But this is my point, regardless of the amount of study and work I put in, and regardless of the actual subjects I did, I will not get a UAI of 90.
And I disagree with you, I believe I am expressing a universal perspective. At the same time as never underestimating the amount of work put in by people who get the 90+ UAI's, I am also saying that even those who put in the same amount of work, just cannot get to the same point. I have used my own situation as an example. I put in the same amount of effort that my classmates have, and in many cases, alot more effort, yet they have been getting better marks than me. They will also get a better HSC result than me. I'm not complaining, they do deserve it. But there is no chance my UAI will even reach the 80's, despite how much I have tried. Basically, I am trying to say that a 90 UAI is not always achieveable through work, not even the level of commitment you are 'advocating'.

Ok, firstly, I'm just trying to say that humanities tend to be more based on work, so I'm saying that more people could get a 90+ with humanities. I accept that people cannot all get the same results with the same ammount of work. I suppose that we have reached an impasse because basically I'm saying the opposite; using Western vs Eastern education as an example:- at my school a significant portion of the student body have experienced an eastern education, which is why they were capable of doing our high-school maths many years prior to yr 12:- and why many of them dont come to 3/4 unit maths yet still consistantly rank extreemly well. My point is; I know you may not have had the benefit of an eastern eductaion (nor have I), but the level of commitment of these students in their old schools demonstrates that it is; by and large; possible to rote learn vast quantities of knowledge

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
student.hsc said:
Ok, firstly, I'm just trying to say that humanities tend to be more based on work, so I'm saying that more people could get a 90+ with humanities. I accept that people cannot all get the same results with the same ammount of work. I suppose that we have reached an impasse because basically I'm saying the opposite; using Western vs Eastern education as an example:- at my school a significant portion of the student body have experienced an eastern education, which is why they were capable of doing our high-school maths many years prior to yr 12:- and why many of them dont come to 3/4 unit maths yet still consistantly rank extreemly well. My point is; I know you may not have had the benefit of an eastern eductaion (nor have I), but the level of commitment of these students in their old schools demonstrates that it is; by and large; possible to rote learn vast quantities of knowledge
A good point you've raised.
Those easterners definitely took an early start in learning at a highly intense level.
Take this for an example.
When I first came to Australia I'd just completed grade 2, I realised my previous school in an Eastern country have already covered everything up to grade 6. I noticed this when every time they do one of those weekly math calculation exercises, all those kids seemed struggling a lot while I was almost bored to death doing the same math over and over again. And it's not just me that thinks the curriculum was a joke, almost every other kid from an early Eastern education background think so.

The other thing to bare in mind is, these overly speedy learning progress didn't come easy for those kids. It really stressed them quiet a bit. I mean I was more nervous back then than when I did those HSC exams. They also had some massive end of term exams twice a year. It took a long time for me to forget how terrifying it was.

The teachers also had very high expectations for the kids. To encourage the students, they had a ranking system which I think they are still using it now on all year levels, even at uni I think.
The competitiveness was as high as getting 80% for math and/or First languages would put you in the bottom of the rank.

The top guns would have marks varying within one point. When I was in grade 2, I got 95% for First language, 100% for math and 96% for Science. I came third in that semester. The second semester, I got 91% for First Language, 95% for math and 94% for science, and I came 20th!

My mum fully canned me with scornful words and the teacher gave an even worse time for the parents. Unlike the parents meeting you have here, all the parents have to attend it and be prepared if you're a crap students, coz the teachers will just bag the shit out of those parents in front of everyone. Very embarrassing.

Now, imagine students like this coming down here doing our HSC. Their twelve years of hard work should never be looked at lightly.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
^ no offence, but I don't like this whole eastern v western education. The systems may be very different but you can't measure the level of work someone does by the system they are in. Ultimately it varies with the individual. Just because people haven't experienced eastern education doesn't mean that they aren't doing their best, that they aren't stressed, or that they care less. Nor does it mean that the work is any less difficult for them. The only people looking at 'twelve years of hard work' lightly are those that underestimate the years of hard work that others have put in. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
This is not a matter of liking it or not. People need to realise that the reality of those kind of students on exchange or just migrated here is a threat to the rest of local students.
I don't know which school you've been studying at but there are plenty of living examples in my school.
In Australia or even the states, people usually say if I want to get into the desired course or uni. But in countries like Japan, China and Korea, etc. You will find the majority of them would say if they can get into their desired course/uni. This applies to almost anyone. The system and cultures have pushed the standard to a limit that is never reachable for the majorities. As a result the uni placement to application ratios is so high that those who can would would barely make it.

A typical student under the current eastern background education during HSC especially would put down the following descriptions for their study experiences:

1. It's a jail
2. 4 hours of sleep daily
3. Don't see the light ahead
4. a living zombie
5. school starts 6am till 8pm. Not to mention cram school afterwards
6. mountains of practice exam papers (I truly believe in this one coz I've seen it. Yes they would easily fill up two to three of your closets.

Yes I believe you've worked hard. But the differnce is, they are doing the hard work in hell.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Okay, sorry, but that is stupid. You don't even make sense. And yes, T-mac, you are generalising again.

student.hsc

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
^ no offence, but I don't like this whole eastern v western education. The systems may be very different but you can't measure the level of work someone does by the system they are in. Ultimately it varies with the individual. Just because people haven't experienced eastern education doesn't mean that they aren't doing their best, that they aren't stressed, or that they care less. Nor does it mean that the work is any less difficult for them. The only people looking at 'twelve years of hard work' lightly are those that underestimate the years of hard work that others have put in. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.
I think, generally, if you looked at average hours spent studying and the intensity of study programs:- alternativley at almost ANY of the international students at my school (korean, chinese etc...) you would see that these people arent all some kind of geniuses. their education system just, as pointed out my T-mac, raises the bar, and I'm not really saying that, "Just because people haven't experienced eastern education doesn't mean that they aren't doing their best, that they aren't stressed, or that they care less.", I'm just showing that it's possible to learn by work, enormus quantities of infomation, and hence, get 90+ uai.

One of my teachers with an eastern education backround once said:- "You want to learn to integrate? Do 10, 000 integrals."

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
student.hsc said:
I think, generally, if you looked at average hours spent studying and the intensity of study programs:- alternativley at almost ANY of the international students at my school (korean, chinese etc...) you would see that these people arent all some kind of geniuses. their education system just, as pointed out my T-mac, raises the bar, and I'm not really saying that, "Just because people haven't experienced eastern education doesn't mean that they aren't doing their best, that they aren't stressed, or that they care less.", I'm just showing that it's possible to learn by work, enormus quantities of infomation, and hence, get 90+ uai.

One of my teachers with an eastern education backround once said:- "You want to learn to integrate? Do 10, 000 integrals."
I agree, Eastern education systems in the past have made a lot of emphasis on repetitions. The same kind of topic as in math and physics can result in teachers creating many types of questions that all revolve around the same principles, except different strategies in solving them. In reality, I would think by the end of year 10 or 11, those students would've learnt all the principles they need to know. They probably spend the final year practicing countless number of strategies in solving problems from many of the exam papers made for every particular year.

The western education system excels in its way to trigger students curiosity and learn by enhancing students ability to reason what's been studied. You'll see the difference when they get to uni. It fully shows from assignments and reports. Most of the student with strong Eastern education background do poorly in spite of the language difficulties they're facing. The reason I mention this is to let people know that the locals will still have a good chance in competing against them in areas that are less math related.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)