The structure of an english speech? (1 Viewer)

baekuai

HSC
hey guys, im really confused on writing a speech. is there a certain structure for it? or is it pretty much the same structure as an essay? plz gib us some tips on wat shud not and wat i shuld do in a speech. and wat do markers want to c wen someone delivers a speech? how do i maximise my marks?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Same structure as an essay basically, the realy difference is the amount of content that you can have. In speech, EVERYTHING needs to be concise. In other words, don't go off on bullshit that isn't relevant to both the question and the thesis you're presenting.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
pretty much the same structure as a speech, but it doesnt have to be as formal as that.

the best way to maximise marks is to ensure that your speech is actually ENGAGING.

Chuck in some rhetorical questions, and always include the audience, try and relate to them, use words like "we", "us" - you'll be surprised how effective minor things like that are.

Another content related mark maximiser is to ensure you ANSWER THE QUESTION. Just recently I saw my grade do speeches that were completely off topic, and that pushed them into lower ranges. Read your notification carefully and ensure you answer the question - no irrelevant info.

Half of your mark usually also rests on your presentation. To maximise marks, ensure that you are well prepared and have written the speech in advance. This gives you plenty of time to rehearse and learn your speech. Note that palm cards are only there to jog your memory - you should know your whole speech off by heart.

Also, working on presentation, make sure that you have a CLEAR, AUDIBLE voice and have SUSTAINED EYE CONTACT. The person at the back of the room should be able to hear your voice, and you should not fall into the trap of staring at your palm cards for the duration of the speech - big no no.

If you feel confident enough, you can also vary the tone of your voice to make the speech more engaging.

jellybelly59

HSC
structure is pretty much similar to an essay but just dont make it as boring as an essay.. use a variety of notes that are not just from ur class so that u dont sound the same as ur classmates cause after hearing 5 speeches that sound very similar... it'll be kinda dodgy :D

HSC
My english teacher says constantly that when writing a speech, the main mistake you can make is trying to top and tail an essay. The structure is similar in the way of intro, body, conclusion etc, but when writing a speech you have to use the correct techniques. I.e. Use of rhetoric, engaging with audience blah blah blah.

bawd

HSC
A good technique to use is to 'speak' your speech whilst you are writing it, remembering that a speech is supposed to be presented rather than read like an essay. The basic structure of a speech would be similar to an essay, but the techniques you employ in it are quite different. Engage the audience by projecting your voice and maintaining eye contact - and not just an occasional glance. Look at speeches from charismatic orators such as Martin Luther King Jnr., Adolf Hitler et al to get the essence of how a good speech is written. However, remember that you are being marked on content as well.

selablad

HSC
It would very strongly depend on what sort of speech it was - you'd have vastly different speeches if you were presenting something aimed at the 'prime minister', compared to if you were presenting something aimed at your peers, or if it was just a self-reflective type speech.

But in general: the structure is the same as for an essay only in the sense that you have introduction/various points/conclusion. The rest of the speech is completely different, especially when it comes to wording - speeches are often more persuasive/engaging/whatever, and you can be more informal :D Speeches don't have nearly as much structure as essays, which I think makes them a lot more fun to write. I think someone said this before - when you're writing it, say it out and see how it sounds - does it need to be more convincing? is that phrasing more suited to an essay? etc. You can get away with more daring things in essays, because you control the tone and stuff, how the audience receives it, so you don't need to worry so much about whether they'll take it the right way or not, or something like that. bawd's post is especially good too...:)

locked.on

HSC
For what markers want in a speech, check the criteria on the assessment notification. Apparently it's part of school policy to include criteria and what you're assessed on within that notification, so teachers would be marking according to that.

bored of sc

HSC
Repetition.

1. Tell them what you are going to tell them.

2. Tell them.

3. Tell them what you told them.

agua.fuego

HSC
And then, while saying it, stare them down, even though it's the freakiest thing in the world to do. I like personally hiding behind palm cards, but the markers don't :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)