The 'Tomorrow' Series and the 'Ellie Chronicles' (1 Viewer)

ZJ NingNing

HSC
I am starting the thread for the fans of John Marsden's Tomorrow Series and the Ellie Chronicles.

I like the character Robyn, and Ellie is pretty kool too. These two series are so full of adventures and other spices in life.

What do you think of these two series by John Marsden?

Last edited:

Legham

HSC
Fucking quality books!! Too bad i don't read books anymore.. i've had the latest one since christmas and still havent started it.

But yeah, these two series would be my favourite series i guess.. Not that i've read much else..

I like how so many characters die.. So brutal :)

the leader

HSC
The Tomorrow Series > The Ellie Chronicles

perhaps its just the gore, perhaps its the steamy sex scenes, perhaps its the 'how the hell do they survive on so little food for so long', but I liked the Tomorrow Series so much more than the Ellie Chronicles.

I guess my 11-year-old self was more easily impressed than I am now, having been so much younger when reading the original series, and maybe the wait between books to come out just put me off the Ellie Chronicles.

All in all, running around the countryside and killing baddies is so much more interesting to read than Ellie sitting at home cooking dinner and managing her finances.

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
I have never gone on to read the Ellie Chronicles, but I did read teh TWTWB series back in high school and I friggin LOVED it - although I'll probably be unpopular in saying that I think he should've stopped after the original trilogy. Sending them back into Australia after they were safe... a bunch of teenagers... it just made me cringe at the horrendous plot device. I read them til the second last in the series, I don't even know how it ended - quite frankly I would never recommend anyone to read past book three, and that way they'll have an excellent few books on their hands!

Just my two cents ;)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I really liked Darkness, Be My Friend (book 4), and didn't feel that the books after it ruined the plot at all. I've only read the first out of the Ellie Chronicle's and found it really boring :(

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Love this series, and also the Chronicles. Currently reading The Night is For Hunting again, cause I can't get enough of these books. There's so much emotion adn action involved. Best book IMO would have to be Burning For Revenge =)

Chronicles are alright. I liked Circle of Flight, but I reckon the Tomorrow series is better than it. Still, it's pretty interesting.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I was a big fan of the tomorrow series, although I haven't read it in many years (got them as an award in primary school...), and I haven't read the Ellie chronicles.
Book 3, Tomorrow series= absolute win.

HSC
I really like them, i thought it was a great, really original idea. I think them going back to Australia made perfect sense if you remembered that it was New Zealand sending them back- the NZ army could use all the help it could get.

Seriously though, in a guerilla situation, they must have been about sixteen anyway, and that's old enough.

HSC
N/A
the leader said:
perhaps its just the gore, perhaps its the steamy sex scenes, perhaps its the 'how the hell do they survive on so little food for so long', but I liked the Tomorrow Series so much more than the Ellie Chronicles.
Yeah you're right. :p And plus they came out when we were younger and we were just more interested.

Having said that I still need to find a copy of Circle of Flight.

findaway

HSC
Yeah, me too. It was such an effort to convince Mum to get them for me! She finally let my grandmother last christmas, but I had to go around reading them secretly from the library! Shows how much I love them, I guess. It's a good series.

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
I absolutely love the Tomorrow series and the Ellie Chronicles as well.

I think they are all good books but the Tomorrow series has more appeal in that it has more action in it. The nature of what the Ellie Chronicles is about means that there is less action but it is interesting in its own way and each book is better than the last. I actually cried reading the beginning of the Ellie Chronicles and in Circle of Flight as well.

Oh and for those who are interested in knowing this Esben Storm has bought the rights to make movies from the Tomorrow series and is working on getting funding and such at the moment.... he is the guy who did the Round the Twist tv series. For more info you can go to www.tomorrow-movies.com

sophie1989

HSC
Legham said:
Fucking quality books!! Too bad i don't read books anymore.. i've had the latest one since christmas and still havent started it.

But yeah, these two series would be my favourite series i guess.. Not that i've read much else..

I like how so many characters die.. So brutal :)
Yep John Marsden is sick! i agree legham :p :p haha
I also like his other books as well. Heaps good read!!!!!!!! mmm quite brutal i'll say! Especially the Ellie Chronicles.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Every character was designed with common ellements from teens, so everyone will be able to identify strongly with atleast one character. Chris i thought was the coolest, he would probably be my best mate, but the one i identified as similiar to me was ellie which is strange because shes a girl, but she has a few traits i have, a few i would like to have, a few similiar flaws, and a few traits i admire yet wouldnt or cant have myself.

^emmie^

HSC
i reckon that the tommorrow series are the BEST books ive ever read!
i havent yet read the Ellie Chronicles but would like to how many are there?
but i think i will wait to the end of the HSC cause i have enough texts to read for that , i think thats one of the worst things about the HSC you cant read books that u actually want to read cause theres to many shity books u have to does anyone agree??

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Can I disagree here? I thought that after the first few books it got repetitive and lame. I read all seven books though. And cringed through the last three.

HSC
N/A
Finished Circle of Flight. :) The writing's still as awesome and Ellie-ish as I thought it was in the beginning, but the plot is slowed so much- it seems like everything with Gavin is just to push the plot in peacetime.

Is CoF the last book? Ever? I think I heard somewhere ages ago that it would be because then Marsden would devote full attention to his school.

shayla

HSC
Oh my gosh i love those books! They are the best and they are so awsome. My fav characters are Ellie, Robyn,Corrie and Lee.

xx

gem_max

HSC
I think I liked all the odd numbered books, except TOSoD... I HATED that one. I haven't read the books since I was 16 I think, and now at 21 I don't think I'd be able to take them as seriously.

2, 4 and 6 were just blips, 5 I loved, 3 I think was too convenient, but really nothing was as good or even as possible as the first book. I picked it up at a used book shop in a tiny town out west in Yr 8 thinking the title sounded familiar. Then I started reading it and realised I was in the thick of what my friends had been obsessed with.

I liked Fi, she's just like me, and it was good that they had a delicate person in there.

But man that final book was a disappointment. I have no desire to read the next series because of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)