The UNSW Scaling Thread (1 Viewer)

hoseyy

HSC
ello my friends, does econ1102 get scaled?

D94

HSC
N/A
There's generally no scaling at all for all courses.

The course convener will decide how easily/harshly they will set the marking rubric, and that will effectively 'scale' your mark.

Should always assume there's no scaling.

HSC
N/A
There's generally no scaling at all for all courses.
100% agree here

i think i posted here a few months back in this thread trying to make it clear. Over 4 years, i think 2 subjects had scaling (small amount of marks too) and it's a common misconception that fresh hsc kids bring into uni.

photastic

HSC
ACTL2102 - Midterm was scaled to a CR average but nothing else was scaled.

FINS3616 (S2 2016) - Only the finals was scaled up by 8 marks to make up for having no partial marks (even for the short answer calculations). Nothing else was scaled. Please note this was the first time the LIC took charge of this course, past semester 2s had no scaling according to the previous LIC. I heard that in S1 there is no scaling for this subject as well.

Hillsdbdsndmldsl

HSC
Hey fam, I've got an interesting subject with weird scaling.

So it's one of my second year elec subjects, and lots of ppl got lower marks than expected to different extents. Only a few are cool with the mark.

These are the possible things I could think of that the lecturer has done to the marks, but idk which of them actually happened.
1) The marking was very harsh. The lecturer was expecting very detailed answers and put heavy penalties on errors.
2) The course marks have been scaled down.
3) The percentage of the assessment items has been adjusted (i.e. different from what is indicated in the course outline).
4) The lecturer just took our midterm exam marks as the final marks (many ppl's marks are so close to or exactly the same as the midterm marks).

Backgrounds:
The course is relatively easy among all elec courses in terms of contents. Some of the assessments during the semester have already been made harder to suppress the marks. The final exam was standard and reasonable, with first half of the questions being straightforward and the second half being harder, and half of the cohort think it was easy while the other half think it was hard.

The final exam weighs 50% of the course. Some ppl who had got around 45/50 pre-exam ended up with PS or low CR, which means they've got less than 25/50 (50/100) in the final exam assuming no scaling. It is possible that the pass mark of the final is < 50, but I don't think they could lose that much in the exam.

I'm also doubting the motivations behind scaling down. Although the contents is easy, our final was not, and some ppl even had to skip 1 or 2 questions. Even so, most of us got further lower, pretty much like HD->DN, DN->CR or even PS. Btw, I don't think there would be many HDs even if it's not scaled, so it's really confusing why he did that.

Last edited:

Hillsdbdsndmldsl

HSC
Latest:
ECON1101 - raw mark or scale-down

ELEC2133 - raw mark this year (the final was easier than past years')
ELEC2134 - raw mark or scale-down in summer term, raw mark or some scale-up in semester 1
ELEC2141 - crazy scale-up, final was AIDs
ELEC2142 - tfw everyone thinks there's at least some scale-down but the lecturer says there has been scale-up :'(
ELEC3104 - raw mark in top range

MATH2069 - some scale-down
MATH2099 - some scale-up
MATH3411 - raw mark

They're very likely to change, so take them as reference only. Generally it depends on the difficulty of the exam but for easy courses like ECON1101 they always want to control the marks.

Last edited:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
o i forgot this existed

Math3411- raw mark as above
math3560- raw mark
math3570 - scaled up a lot

photastic

HSC
Bump

FINS2643 - No scaling (Even though less than 5 students HD'd :O)
FINS3630 - No scaling
ECON2101 - No scaling
MGMT1101 - No scaling
ACTL3182 - Don't know but based off final mark, definitely had to be scaled up a bit
ACTL3141 - Scaled up a bit (3+ for Midterm)
ACTL3151 - Scaled up a bit (3+ for Midterm)

Moral: Seems uber rare for a Commerce course to scale. Only had scaling for Actuarial, couple of Finance courses.

hmoody

HSC
Someone please tell me that ACCT2522 scales heaps. I am on like 12.4/40, and I can't see myself scoring 38/60 in the final exam.

I totally bombed the midsem because i didn't study at all.

To top it off, the exam is going to be this Saturday at 8:45. First day of the examination period.

Last edited:

edwardf316

HSC
N/A
Someone please tell me that ACCT2522 scales heaps. I am on like 12.4/40, and I can't see myself scoring 38/60 in the final exam.

To top it off, the exam is going to be this Saturday at 8:45. First day of the examination period.
If only there was some way to prepare for the final exam to give yourself the best chance of getting the mark you need. Maybe don't stick with your midsem strategy

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A

First day of exam period was today lel (Friday)

aoc

HSC
Highly doubt theyre going to scale finals for acct2522 dont think its normal for accounting to get scaled. But that being my tutor did say the cohort was one of the worst shes had in terms of midsem results so if people bomb finals, maybe?

SammyT123

HSC
I have to do math1131 (1141 isn't offered next sem). How does scaling work then?

I remember checking the wam distribution site and 1131 had SIGNIFICANTLY less HDs than 1141 :(...

Am i done for

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A
I have to do math1131 (1141 isn't offered next sem). How does scaling work then?

I remember checking the wam distribution site and 1131 had SIGNIFICANTLY less HDs than 1141 :(...

Am i done for

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just put in the best effort you can and stay on top of everything so that you don't have to cram for the final exam. Also make sure you practice a lot since there is quite a bit of material available. Don't rote learn, but understand how to apply equations and concepts.

I got a HD for 1131 so it is possible

photastic

HSC
ECON3107 - Definitely no scaling
MGMT1001 - Definitely no scaling
FINS3635 - No scaling (Not sure though since if added up, would've got 100% in the Finals)
FINS3636 - No scaling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)