The Usage Of The Word- "BLOODY" In Tourism Ads. (1 Viewer)

davin

HSC
N/A
but, an ad is supposed to get attention. though, its not like the ad seems to be getting all that much attention, depending on the country anyway.

kimmi06

HSC
HotShot said:
that ad's target audience are people overseas not in australia and thus should be addressed appropriately to them, to attract them to visit australia. rather then let them ponder whether the term 'bloody' is appropriate or not. as i said the VB ad is awesome.
What do you mean 'addressed appropriately to them'? From what I gather, do you mean something they can relate to? Because if if it was truly addressed appropriately to people overseas we'd probably have to make about 20 different ads! Why should they manipulate the ad so that the people overseas can relate to it? We're a different country- that's the whole point. If that's not what you meant though, I'm sorry. Let me know and I'm sure I can come up with a new argument, lol, I'm in one of those moods.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
kimmi06 said:
What do you mean 'addressed appropriately to them'? From what I gather, do you mean something they can relate to? Because if if it was truly addressed appropriately to people overseas we'd probably have to make about 20 different ads! Why should they manipulate the ad so that the people overseas can relate to it? We're a different country- that's the whole point. If that's not what you meant though, I'm sorry. Let me know and I'm sure I can come up with a new argument, lol, I'm in one of those moods.
firstly there is no point having ad that they cant understand. obvisouly the term 'bloody' to them has a different understanding to what we have. secondly, remember the ad is not for australians, its for others, so we must grab their attention and not really ours.

davin

HSC
N/A
and which countries are you suggesting won't understand the ad?

davin

HSC
N/A
why would they find bloody offensive if they view the word differently though? Its only in the australian/british slang that its an offensive term, and a country like england would then understand the ad

kimmi06

HSC
HotShot said:
firstly there is no point having ad that they cant understand. obvisouly the term 'bloody' to them has a different understanding to what we have. secondly, remember the ad is not for australians, its for others, so we must grab their attention and not really ours.
I'm sure they understand the actual ad and the point of it. And I think it IS attention grabbing. But so what if they don't understand the word bloody? Or if they have a different understanding of it? Should we have just replaced the common word of 'bloody' with a well-known American slang word? Or a common word the English use? Still not getting your point.

davin

HSC
N/A
for America, while the word doesn't represent the same thing, it is quickly associated with England/Australia. its associated with australia enough that it doesn't mess up the ad

kimmi06

HSC
Yeah. I just think with the actual placement of the the word bloody in "So where the bloody hell are you?", although it may be offensive to some, it meaning cannot be misunderstood. If you changed the words 'bloody hell' to anything else, you'd still take the same meaning from it. I've said all I have to say lol, I'm getting tired of this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)