• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Usage Of The Word- "BLOODY" In Tourism Ads. (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
mr_brightside said:
Its funny cause my friend did not know this and used to say "bugger me" and also "bugger me up the ass"

I think the controversy is a GOOD thing. More publicity.
lol too bad the ad is targeted for overseas, aussies might find it interesing, funny etc. but i think people asia and europe will be just mocking Australia.

srs 0"Where the bloody hell are you?" - I am AT home mate!

the ad is gay.

davin

HSC
N/A
Trippendicular said:
Haha did anyone see the Chaser's War on Everything segment about this? It was classic
that was just, genius. the whole thing should be an ad campaign

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
This word is used in many countries.
What do you think of the chick who says it?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Sparcod said:
This word is used in many countries.
What do you think of the chick who says it?
the word is used in different countries - is used in different meanings,

Riviet

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, it helps sell whatever they may be advertising with regard to Australia, but then again I think the use of the word isn't very effective.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Riviet said:
In my opinion, it helps sell whatever they may be advertising with regard to Australia, but then again I think the use of the word isn't very effective.
the ad needs to focus on other more important issues that sell australia

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
List of words banned in advertising on british tv (in order of offensiveness):

HIGHLIGHT TO READ
Cunt
Motherfucker
Fuck
Wanker
Nigger
Bastard
Prick
Bollocks
Arsehole
Paki
Shag
Whore
Twat
Piss off
Spastic
Slag
Shit
Dickhead
Pissed off
Arse
Bugger
Balls
Jew
Sodding
Jesus Christ
Crap
Bloody
God

Interesting that people find 'bollocks-shagging bastard' more offensive than 'arse-buggering dickhead'.

source: http://www.asa.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/...551F57FE/0/ASA_Delete_Expletives_Dec_2000.pdf

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Xayma said:
I'm more annoyed it's perpetuating a stereotype of Australian people. Using bloody is fine, the bugger ads were good as well (the one with the dog, I think it was for aami or something).
The bugger ads are actually from New Zealand, where the word has a wider usage.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
protests now

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=90741

A major conservative American lobby group is set to unleash a campaign of protest against Australian tourism's "where the bloody hell are you?" TV advertisement.

The controversial commercial made has its US debut in front of 20 million American TV viewers and one influential group was not amused.

The American Family Association (AFA), which has more than two million members and leads campaigns against abortion and gay rights, was upset with the bikini-clad model Lara Bingle's use of "bloody" and "hell" in the ad's tagline.

AFA members are expected to bombard Tourism Australian with thousands of emails and phone calls in coming weeks to vent their feelings.

Members are also expected to boycott Australia as a holiday destination.

"I just feel pretty sure the typical American family who is watching TV with their children and they're exposed to this ad are going to be upset," AFA director of special projects, Randy Sharp, told AAP.

"I don't want my children to hear that phrase.

"It's a shocking phrase because we're not familiar with it.

"I guess they use it all the time in Australia, but it's a foreign language here so I think it'll have a negative impact rather than positive."

British TV authorities dropped a ban on the use of the word "bloody" after pressure from Australia, but now Canadian authorities are unhappy with the way the ad portrays beer drinking.

Tourism Australia launched the ad in the US with a 30-second spot during the hit TV series Lost, which draws around 20 million American viewers each week.

The ad also aired on some of America's most-watched cable TV channels, including Rupert Murdoch's FOX News, the popular A&E channel, TNT, TBS, Fine Living and the home improvement network, HGTV.

The ad has not upset America's broadcast regulator, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), but all it takes is for one viewer complaint for the FCC to launch an investigation.

FCC spokesperson Rebecca Fisher said she was unaware of any complaints.

Tourism Australia acting managing director Andrew McEvoy said US TV networks had no problem clearing the ad.

The Mississippi-based AFA's campaigns have had enormous lobbying success in the US.

Last year the group called on its members to file formal complaints against US TV network CBS for a "teenage orgy scene" depicted in Australian actor Anthony LaPaglia's hit TV series, Without A Trace.

The FCC last week fined more than 100 CBS affiliate stations $US3.6 million ($A5 million) for airing the orgy scene.

The AFA website congratulates its members on the campaign with a "You did it!" headline and a link to send the FCC a thank-you message.

The AFA is also calling on its members to lobby Pizza Hut to ban a "sexually suggestive" ad featuring pop princess Jessica Simpson, in which she feeds food into a teenager's mouth, causing the boy to faint.

Sharp said he enjoyed the Tourism Australia ad until the end when Bingle asks "where the bloody hell are you?"

"When you think 'bloody' in America you think the red liquid that flows from human bodies which is usually a sign of some kind of violence," Sharp said.

Tourism Australia contact details will be made available to AFA members.

"They will hear from a lot of our members who are going to be insulted," Sharp said.

"Australians are spending all of these millions of dollars inviting us, and if we go over there are we going to be exposing our kids to foul language and images of bloody?

"We don't want our kids to hear the term 'bloody'.

"We certainly don't want our kids to hear profanity."

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:
are u dumb? the ad is for overseas inviting them to take a holiday in Australia. thats why the ad is gay.
altho i've edited my post because i realised what i said was stupid, you didnt really hit the nail on why what i said was dumb at all

whatev

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
just thinking about the whole 'what-words-are-u-allowed-to-use-on-tv'....its amazing that they wanted to banned 'bloody' & the fact that 'shit' doesnt the get 'BEEP' anymore during primetime tv, or bitch.

funny stupid little world we live in

i love calling people 'smegheads' & if they have never seen red dwarf..its even more fun!

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
altho i've edited my post because i realised what i said was stupid, you didnt really hit the nail on why what i said was dumb at all

whatev
?.....

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
and judging it now that i've seen it

www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com

i really think it was unnecessary.
I think you're right. It seemed a little out of place, even though it fitted in with the laid-back style ('we've turned the lights on' cracked me up). Overall it's a pretty fantastic ad

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:
?.....
you assumed that my post was asking why it was placed overseas

which i find severely insulting.

davin

HSC
N/A
that is one heck of a messed up advocacy group, both because NO american kid is going to understand that bloody can be considered profane, and because they don't have any trouble with the actual BLOOD on american tv in excessive amounts.

and i can't believe it was aired during lost....and i wasn't watching

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
exposing our kids to foul language and images of bloody?/B]

"We don't want our kids to hear the term 'bloody'.

"We certainly don't want our kids to hear profanity."

what in gods name is an image of bloody? haha this is heaps funny, these closet homosexuals need to get out into the real world and realise in comparison bloody isnt such a bad word
"profanity" such a controversial word, its hard to tell what profanity is and isnt, but hey guess what dipshits, you cant protect your kids forever and they are gonna hear much harsher words before 2 long

i wanna run up to one of these parents and call them a cunt infront of their kids, that oughta teach em

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I really like the ad

The only problem I can see is parents not wanting their children to hear it. Other than that there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)