The UTS 'Places to Eat + Things to Do' Thread (1 Viewer)

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC
Re: 回复: The UTS 'Places to Eat + Things to Do' Thread

hmm, good question. not really sure. never seen 1 around and never heard anyone speak of one. wait for others to reply.

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC

anyways, who thinks the kebab shop down stairs is fucking YUCK?

and you know what ticks me off? curries eating from that curry shop. lolz. fuck, your curry, you eat curry 24/7 at home....

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC

Not as in snooker pool. Is there a swimming pool?
There's a swimming pool at Victoria park, right outside the walkway for USYD, although it looks exclusive, dnt know if anyone from the general public can have a swim.

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC

There's a swimming pool at Victoria park, right outside the walkway for USYD, although it looks exclusive, dnt know if anyone from the general public can have a swim.
i think anyone can...but you probably have to pay....ive seen a whole bunch of kids having a swim in the pool a few times.

miche11e

HSC

okeydokey - thanks guys

Takuto

HSC
could i have recommendations for a healthy place to eat that is relatively cheap ?

nice

HSC
This is a summarised version of the old "Great places to eat and fun things to do near UTS". I figured it needs a bit of an update, so this new thread is for you guys to provide some more up-to-date ideas.

Ideas from previous thread...
Link: http://community.boredofstudies.org.../great-places-eat-fun-things-do-near-uts.html

• eat : broadway,ogalos,oporto,market city, and of course maccas,kfc,bk outside the station.
  • food: mai thai, inside bar broadway. six dollar thai lunches. if you're poor, fried rice from alice's on level 3. also, there's a cool sushi place near the maccas opp. railway square. they have specials from about 4 or 5 onwards.
  • Market City, Darling Harbour, Chinatown, Broadway, sit in Victoria Park (if you need to see grass, which is so lacking at UTS!), jump on a bus outside UTS and you will be in the middle of the city in minutes... there you can check out Pitt St Mall, QVB, Myer etc... or catch the bus to circular quay/the rocks and take in the scenery... pancakes on the rocks....
  • market city...or sussex centre if you want. normal chinatown stuff (like superbowl). errrmmmmmm yum cha! how can i forget! lol thats a great place to eat but i havent been during uni...lack of $$$.
  • The lansdowne is the best bargain around broadway!!! I can't believe I didn't say it before!!! It's opposite Victoria Park... not on Broadway but just off Broadway on City Road so really close. They have $5 lunch and dinner meals. You can have steak with a sauce and chips or mash potato... or chicken, or fish, or nachos and there are a couple of other things too... it's really good value. You have to buy a drink with your meal though, so all up you can get lunch/dinner and a drink (soft drink, beer or house wine) for $8.50 which is pretty reasonable. You couldn't buy steak and cook it yourself for that cheap.
  • Yeah Pearl Milk Tea at Easy Way and Happy Cup!
  • Everyone must have a slice of the Choco Dome cake at Fioriani's in Darling Harbour (on the outside strip of Harbourside).
  • Yeah, they have a gym on Harris Street, Broadway. Don't think there are any other places.
  • Union Fitness Centre

Yeah i totally agree..there are heaps more nice places to eat,relax,and chill out even though UTS has only limited acess paths..you can still find a place at city.

krayzie_

HSC
Kebab store underneath the tower is definately a piece of ****! Everything down there is pretty much yuck. Walk to market city or go explore the city its in our backyard.

AM_092

HSC
N/A
Hey so, during gaps between lectures/tutorials, what do students usually do?
Have lunch, hang-out? Are there areas where students (of certain courses/faculties) can lounge around? Oh, and what's the Loft?

Thanks ;)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Have lunch, hang-out? Are there areas where students (of certain courses/faculties) can lounge around? Oh, and what's the Loft?

Thanks ;)
The Loft is the bar that's sort of tucked away next to the Tower. It's much better than The Glasshouse imo.

There are places in buildings you can hang out in (eg, you can usually find me on level 3 of Building 4). Most students don't hang around campus during breaks though. Depending on how long my break is, I walk out to somewhere in the city, stay at uni, or even go home if I have a 6 hour break like I did in semester 1 last year >_> (I live about half an hour away from the city)

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Have lunch, hang-out? Are there areas where students (of certain courses/faculties) can lounge around?
If it's a 30 minute gap, people tend to hang around the uni. Not too much time to do anything significant-- 1hour + and people usually leave... unless they want to catch up on work. Some people will get Maccas/KFC/Subway etc in short breaks between classes since they're all close to UTS, but getting real lunch in Chinatown or up at the Broadway shopping centre is possible if you have more time. A few of my friends have popped over to Star City to eat there in longer breaks =D

There aren't many faculty specific lounge areas. IT students (technically first-year IT students, but my PIN has worked on the door for 2 years now) have access to a room in Building 10, but it's never overly crowded. Other than that, most areas are free-range. You could lounge around in most of the buildings, as long as the area is not staff/postgrad only. It's just a matter of scouting out an area-- which, unfortunately, can be difficult at many points in the day.

Last edited:

SFinspired

HSC
You said it pyro. I totally hate areas where its so overly crowded and you're desperately finding a seat while everyone looks at you and then you are awkwardly forced to sit in between to people...

AM_092

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the info, guys! What's the glasshouse?
Like when I was at tafe, there were places to sit for lunch/areas to sit as a group (outdoors). Is there many spots like that at UTS?

My biggest gap this semester is 2 hours :)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Thanks for the info, guys! What's the glasshouse?
Like when I was at tafe, there were places to sit for lunch/areas to sit as a group (outdoors). Is there many spots like that at UTS?

My biggest gap this semester is 2 hours :)
The Glasshouse is another bar on campus, downstairs in the Tower. There's another bar in Building 5 as well.

UTS Union: Bars

Last time I was at The Glasshouse, the beer we got was flat o_O

And yes, there are plenty places outside you can hang around. Such as the backyard (or Alumni Green as they insist on calling it). But because of construction, part of it is closed until 2011. They've blocked off access to the science building from that side too... :/

You can take some time during your breaks to look around the uni

vantastic

HSC
I have mostly two and three hour breaks, and specific suggestions?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
The Glasshouse is another bar on campus, downstairs in the Tower. There's another bar in Building 5 as well.

UTS Union: Bars

Last time I was at The Glasshouse, the beer we got was flat o_O
The Glasshouse is generally seedy, dingy and yuck. That beer was horrible, and it wasn't the first time I've had dodgy beer there either!

I would steer clear.

The Loft is ok, but tends to be fairly pricey unless you go during happy hour/happy cocktail hour (which are NOT held at the same time) :evilfire:
Also if you sit inside the chairs are really tall, which is OK but not all that comfortable after a while.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I have mostly two and three hour breaks, and specific suggestions?
- Go lay in the sun in Victoria Park
- Visit friends from High School at USyd/UNSW
- Get the bus/walk to Hyde Park :)
- Go home if you live very very close by
- Go to the library and do your assignments
- Go the harbourside

SFinspired

HSC
- Go lay in the sun in Victoria Park
- Visit friends from High School at USyd/UNSW
- Get the bus/walk to Hyde Park :)
- Go home if you live very very close by
- Go to the library and do your assignments
- Go the harbourside
lol are you serious. That's so much effort to go to Hyde Park.

Just stay on campus and make new friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)