The way the school year's been set out. I just don't get it. (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Terms 4 (last year) and term 1 (this year) were both either 10 or 11 weeks. I got plenty of study done, finished all my notes early, and in class we got an average of 2 modules done per subject minimum. That makes sense, and I ultimately smashed my half yearlies. Now we're in term 3, I'm getting bombarded with assignments and assessment tasks and doing work from basically 5-12 every night. All while trials are on the near horizon and most of my teachers are attempting to teach two modules of work in about 9 weeks. Wtf. And then there's the UMAT...

I know people are just gonna tell me to suck it up, but it actually makes zero sense. Why do we get so much time to prepare for half-yearlies (most of which were weighted 20% some 15 or 10) and are then expected to cram what was essentially 2 terms worth of work in 9 weeks before our our trials, most of which are weighted 40-50%. Yes yes I know, Uni will probably be even worse than this. The issue isn't with the workload, just with the nonsensical way the year is spread out.

/rant over

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, my school was like this. You just gotta knuckle down and get over it.

iBibah

HSC
It's not a problem considering your whole cohort is in the same position so don't stress.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel bombarded with assessment tasks too. I suppose it will be better in the long run because they will be out of the way and you'll have more time to focus and study on the trials.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
its practice for uni i guess
so its a good time to get used to it

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Get used to it buddy. Life isn't always set out so it's the easiest for you.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
It's not really a problem since you can essentially cram the entire years worth of work for each subject into less than a week.

The sudden bombardment of assessments from every subject at once though never stops no matter where you are but I think it's because the teachers are given a guide of how many assessments they are expected to run to comply with the BoS and with it, a guide of what forms those assessments should take (i.e. in class speech, essay, take home report, etc) and when they should be due in each semester. Maybe they just don't deviate from the recommended and each subject faculty is just running it that way too, which would explain why they all suddenly collide.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not really a problem since you can essentially cram the entire years worth of work for each subject into less than a week.

The sudden bombardment of assessments from every subject at once though never stops no matter where you are but I think it's because the teachers are given a guide of how many assessments they are expected to run to comply with the BoS and with it, a guide of what forms those assessments should take (i.e. in class speech, essay, take home report, etc) and when they should be due in each semester. Maybe they just don't deviate from the recommended and each subject faculty is just running it that way too, which would explain why they all suddenly collide.
I think the idea of assessments other than essays are stupid. I come 2nd in trials for english, but I got dragged down by stupid assessments which dont even relate to the final HSC. Like listening tasks, creating fancy posters etc etc.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I think the idea of assessments other than essays are stupid. I come 2nd in trials for english, but I got dragged down by stupid assessments which dont even relate to the final HSC. Like listening tasks, creating fancy posters etc etc.

Yeah but iirc it's mandatory for the teachers to mix up their assessments somehow. Speeches and Listening Tasks were the tamest ways I guess.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I'm sorry if this is harsh, quit whinging and just put your head down and study if u want a great atar.

bangladesh

HSC

It's not stupid. It needs to be there because it is set to test a different set of skills. The whole point is that they don't relate to final HSC. eg practical skills are tested in chem because they can't be tested in the hsc. The whole point of assessments are so you can assess a wider set of skills rather than just how much you can remember in an exam.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I agree with this. I think it's fair u do assesments that require other skills cos the best performing students do well in all the skills required and it is a good way to rank people.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Nahhhh. I dont need to learn how to create a poster.

Add sparkles.

Operafreemarksforyou.jpg

enoilgam

HSC
This is pretty much how it works at most schools, besides, everyone at your school is in the same position so it shouldnt be an issue. If anything, it is good preparation for university. In uni, pretty much as soon as you finish the wave of assignments, you need to start preparing for final exams.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Are you actually asking 'why does school get harder as it progresses'

No wonder you need 7 hrs study a day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)