The 'What are these units like?' Thread- 2007 (1 Viewer)

mserica

HSC
Anyone done

HRM201
HRM207
PSY104 & 105

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!! I know that HRM201 i will be doing externally as its only offered during the day, I also think they were previously known as BBA207 etc.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Supra,

Yeah, I am looking to get into IB or some kind of investment role. What about you? Sounds like you're getting yourself into the same thing.

I can't tell you what ECON350 or ECON361 are like because I haven't done them yet. I'm doing 350 this semester though. All I know is that ECON361 is highly recommended in the program and will be useful if you're going to be working with investment as it deals with business forecasting.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2007&unitCode=ECON361

As for BUSL301, I only attended two lectures and the minimum amount of tutorials throughout the whole semester and I got a credit. I wouldn't recommend this with any unit though, unless you want to spend two whole weeks cramming non-stop before the final exams, like I do every semester. It should be pretty easy for you to get a distinction even if you only put in a little effort.

aileenli

HSC
hey has anyone done MATH 123? im a general math student, which isnt enough for econ. gen math was a breeze, but im really nervous about doing math123 since i had a look at the lecture notes.

thanks

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
ACCG310 - aint as painful as what i used to hear.

It's not the most interesting subject, but it's do-able. The kind of unit where u have to be 'meticulous' mostly.

they changed the lecturer/textbook/order of topics as from sem2 last yr and apparently the failure rate went down.

Lecturer Haswell - boring to death, he has this way of placing his pointed pencil on the slide...which is irritating! u'll see, enjoy!

the other lecturer is okay, very hyperactive but he's got a strong accent.

Exam was lenthy; but nothing uve never seen in lecture/tute examples somewhere.

Kegs

HSC
aileenli said:
hey has anyone done MATH 123? im a general math student, which isnt enough for econ. gen math was a breeze, but im really nervous about doing math123 since i had a look at the lecture notes.

thanks
It pretty easy. There is heaps of help for all the first year maths subjects. If you need to ask questions, then go to the numeracy centre (C5A 225). They are awesome with their help. Good Luck!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Luke! said:
Supra,

Yeah, I am looking to get into IB or some kind of investment role. What about you? Sounds like you're getting yourself into the same thing.

I can't tell you what ECON350 or ECON361 are like because I haven't done them yet. I'm doing 350 this semester though. All I know is that ECON361 is highly recommended in the program and will be useful if you're going to be working with investment as it deals with business forecasting.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2007&unitCode=ECON361

As for BUSL301, I only attended two lectures and the minimum amount of tutorials throughout the whole semester and I got a credit. I wouldn't recommend this with any unit though, unless you want to spend two whole weeks cramming non-stop before the final exams, like I do every semester. It should be pretty easy for you to get a distinction even if you only put in a little effort.
Yep same thing...corp fin specifically but its hard to get into.

I might consider 361, but im defintely doing 350 this sem as well...Havy your doing it too right?

I understand...i usually plan to go to lectures but never end up rocking up...especially coz its gonna be friday afternoon...are there i-lectures available?

havy

HSC
actually I'll probably do econ350 next yr...will do econ335 2nd semester this yr.
and econ361 sounds too scary for me...

K.

HSC
Like Rob, I feel so left out of these. Ho hum. But if any of you ever brave these subjects, here are my opinion on them..

geos116- Man, you have to really like dirt and rocks, like breathe rocks and stuff, to find this subject remotely interesting. Its all group work this subject, if one person bombs out, it effects everyone. Horrible subject. Shit excursion. Spent $120 on the textbook that wasnt referred to or used at all. Stay away.

anth150- absolutely amazing subject, really interesting readings, tutorials are so inviting and open and discussive. Fantastic, I recommend it for an elective! Assignment essays are dead easy; two essays that don't require too much research, but more of your own thinking. There are no tutorial papers! and the final exam is multiple choice; which, if you have turned up to lectures and read most of your tutorial readings, then its a cinch. In fact, even if you havent read anything or turned up to many lectures, its still a cinch. Awesome subject. A++

ahst101-Myth. You sit through many weeks of 2hr lectures to find out you don't really need to be there. Tutorial papers were interesting, Essay had many options, fairly interesting. You don't really need dedication to this subject, a bit of heavy reading though.. but all in all, its interesting (Minus Okinga and Hilliard).

ahst104- stay the fuck away. Too broad, horrible, horrible, horrible. Worst subject ever. So much reading, tutorials are mind numbing, assignments are MASSIVE and HORRIBLE. They should ban and delete subject. This subject was worth the same cp as ANTH150 and anth was a quarter the amount of work this subject was. Its a pain to study for; they give you NO hint or indication on what to study, exam was horrible.

Anyone taken any of these?

geos112 (sounds like a cake walk)
anth275 (sounds interesting)
anth276 (sounds amazing)
pol167 (sounds interesting)
geos235 (puke)
anth277 (sounds great)
els202 (so-so)
ahst270 (mmm ancient sexism)

dracover

HSC
hello2005 said:
ACST200

Online quizzes: 10%. Final Exam: 90%!!!

After completing ACST255 I realised that ACST200 was nowhere near as hard as I thought it was. Make sure you have practiced doing 17+ mark questions before entering the exam (obvious tip: do the past papers from an external website which Jim gives out). I screwed up a really long question which prevented me from getting a D.

Overall, most people get their exemptions.
excuse me =(

hello2005 said:
STAT272

- Four assignments that are "officially" worth 20%. In reality 90% of them are copied meaning the assignments are worth near zero.
- Final exam worth 80% (in reality it's close to 100)

Overall, our year did extremely poor in this subject. I heard that only 39% of candidates got a credit or higher. The final exam was really really tough most likely due to the fact that it was set by Jun Ma. You guys might get Barry though.

It would be a big help if you remembered the stuff from ACST211. Also don't get cocky if you find the first couple of weeks easy. The last four weeks are quite strenuous. My tip: reading the lecture notes is not enough, make sure you've done plenty of exercises.
imagine jun ma for stat271 its crazy rediculous our finals consisted of a raw mark average of 30 =( cries

hello2005 said:
ACCG253

- I think the final exam is worth 65%
- There's also an online quiz, tutorial participation and handing in as well as a mid-semester test which (depending on your tutor) is marked very very leniently.

This subject is ridiculously easy. 90+% of actuarial students will get a D or higher.
It depends who you get, i've heard of times when you have 100% finals 100% MC

hello2005 said:
COMP115

- Assignments (which are usually copied off someone else)
- Final exam (worth around 75% I think)

If you know any programming you will have a massive advantage over the other student. If not, it depends on how you take to learning it. Some students find the learning curve quite steep.
dont scare pplz its like one of the easiest subjects you'll do in an acst degree . requires no studying. and if exams are still anything like wat i got, its just s bunch of small programing questions (like requires 2-3 lines of coding) if u can do assignments the finals are a breeze

dracover

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Review: MKTG101

icky case study part to the end of semester exam as well.

Good course, pretty easy, pretty fun :)
wats the case study like??? my exams 2morrow hahaha

hope u read this before then lolz

HSC
N/A
the case study is covered in the tutes (just print off the lecture notes, it's the ones towards the end) They'll ask various questions on it - you'll basically need to know all the details pretty well. In my year, we studied Coke, no idea what they're doing this year.

ALLLICE

HSC
:wave: Hey, can someone tell me what these are like...

SOC175
PHIL132
HIST189
LING109

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Would anyone be able to tell me "what these units are like"?

LAW 104
LAW114
POL 168
ANTH 150

Thanks in advance.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Luke! said:
You only need your bachelors degree to enter the Grad.Dip of App.Fin and Inv., and once you complete the grad.dip, you may then enter the masters degree.

http://www.finsia.edu.au/Education/Courses/Courses_Offered/MAFI

So there are no formal requirements for you to undertake any particular units in your bachelors degree, but I've chosen my electives based on what I've been told by others who have gone to Finsia or done similar post.grad courses.

I've just chosen units that will introduce me to topics that I will encounter later down the track in the masters degree.

I'm also planning to undertake some kind of maths course before I leave uni. Maybe just a non-award unit or something to help me brush up on my number-skills. Finance tends to be very maths orientated, so having good quantitative abilities always helps too.
If you are interested - you can start your GDAFI in your last semester at uni. There is a headstart program which allows you to do this. There are no requirements for this - apart from the fact that you have to be in your last semester and you are only allowed to take a maximum of 2 subjects.

What stream would you be looking at doing at FINSIA?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
You're lookn at Corporate Finance right?

The three main ones + Applied Valuation, Corp and Structured Finance, Interest Rate Markets and Risk Management, M&A and Industrial Equity Analysis would be a sequence id wanna do...

I just looked at UNSW they have so much better choices in finance subjects compared to Mq...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)