The 'What are these units like?' Thread- 2007 (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Yeah I'm doing Applied Valuations (E102) and Corporate and Structured Finance (E141) right now. Next tri-sem I am going to do M&A (E142) and Economics something (C1).

After which I am going to be doing Advanced Valuations (M22) to "finish off the GDAFI". But I will be looking to transfer into the Masters before I do M22, and if I don't get in then, I'll apply again after M22.

Interest Rate Markets and Risk Management looks interesting - but I can't fit it in. I might just do Financial Risk Management (M12) as one of my three Masters subjects. The other one is definitely Quant Applications in Finance (M01).

I'm sorted pretty well with the subjects (I think - a lot of time the timing of when certain subjects are offered have been perfect) just need things to go my way in terms of marks. lol

If anyone has any input please post - its the reason why I wrote out my life story.

By the way, why Industry Analysis?

CieL

HSC
mserica said:
Anyone done

HRM201
HRM207
PSY104 & 105

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!! I know that HRM201 i will be doing externally as its only offered during the day, I also think they were previously known as BBA207 etc.
PSY104

Multiple choice, multiple choice, and one essay..
I cant really remember the percentages but I think the finals were worth 40%, featuring 120 MC..
It's boring.. I stopped going after the first two lectures.. all you need to do is read the lecture notes..
Compulsory practicals.. my tutor was lenient and just passed me for missing out on 3 practicals.. otherwise it's an instant fail..
Um.. learning to write an essay using APA style.. my topic was "Bullying"..
Had an asian guy with an american accent as my tutor.. he was cool, cept the class was kinda mute, including me.. cos I had pretty much no clue what was going on, besides the fact that it wasnt very interesting..

PSY105

More multiple choice... and a report
Finals was 120.. or was it 140 MC..
Um.. I didnt go after the first week..
Practicals were alot more interesting than psy104.. had alot of interactive videos and computer programs to assist learning.. best prac was playing with fighting fish in the farm area..
My report was detailed on "Disgust sensitivity"..
They're even tighter on tutes in psy105.. I think they only allow you to be in another class twice or something..
Oh, and the prac overheads.. if you're not fast enough to copy them, TELL THE TUTOR TO SLOW DOWN!! Because even after a whole semester of several students pleaing for the overheads to be put online, the head said no.. because "the overheads are supposed to be for assistance only".. and wants no-one to copy it word for word.. which is kinda ironic.. but anyway.. if you missed out, you miss out..

Hm.. yeah, I think that's it.. *racks brain*

Heh I'll be doing HRM207 in 1st sem 07 too =]

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
redruM said:
What stream would you be looking at doing at FINSIA?
Ah, Reddy, still lurking the BoS forums? Hehe.

I'd probably want to do the Corp. Finance stream. It seems like the most relevant stream to IB. But the Inv. Management stream sounds pretty tempting as well- I enjoy portfolio management/analysis stuff. What do you think?

What's the workload like with the headstart program? I mean, 4 units at uni plus 2 units for the grad.dip, I don't want to overload myself.

As for the grad.dip electives to satisfy the Corp. Finance stream... I'm thinking...

App. Valuation (E102)
Corp. & Structured Finance (E141)
Interest Rate Markets & Risk Management (E101)
Industrial Equity Analysis (E131) or Mining Investment Analysis (E132)
M&A (E142)

And oneday, after I finish all of this finance stuff, I might go back to uni and do a B.Sc in Petroleum Engineering.

BTW, did you choose a specific stream or do a more generalist diploma? And, how's E&Y going?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
redruM said:
Yeah I'm doing Applied Valuations (E102) and Corporate and Structured Finance (E141) right now. Next tri-sem I am going to do M&A (E142) and Economics something (C1).

After which I am going to be doing Advanced Valuations (M22) to "finish off the GDAFI". But I will be looking to transfer into the Masters before I do M22, and if I don't get in then, I'll apply again after M22.

Interest Rate Markets and Risk Management looks interesting - but I can't fit it in. I might just do Financial Risk Management (M12) as one of my three Masters subjects. The other one is definitely Quant Applications in Finance (M01).

I'm sorted pretty well with the subjects (I think - a lot of time the timing of when certain subjects are offered have been perfect) just need things to go my way in terms of marks. lol

If anyone has any input please post - its the reason why I wrote out my life story.

By the way, why Industry Analysis?
Oh you are so sexy when you start talking finance :p I've been coming on to u in my last few posts, consider this to be the extent of those sexual favours i promised u to get me into DELOITTE!!

I was looking at treasury as well...with all those trading subjects.

Why Industrial Analysis?
Well, have a look at the description:
On completion of this subject, students will have developed the comprehensive analytical knowledge and skills required to evaluate companies within their industries. Students will develop knowledge of key industry value drivers and gain an understanding of the importance of corporate strategy and industry positioning in sustaining shareholder value. [http://www.finsia.edu.au/Education/Courses/CoursesOffered/GDAFI/Outline/E131]

I think that's pretty valuable since investment banks help a range of companies in varying industries. You learn to make a detailed company view and make real-world reports so highly relevant :)

There is one concern I have. If there is a bear market, the level of M&A and Valuations activity will go down accordingly, leading to a decrease in the demand for this work. That's one drawback to Corporate Finance I guess, the job security doesn't seem to be there compared to say, accounting.

In regards to this topic
Does anyone know if lecture attendance at ECON350 is essential? Are the slides enough? I have work and the bastards don't seem to be giving me time off (i work in the night).

blueyez

HSC
lilsxcwog89 said:
Would anyone be able to tell me "what these units are like"?

LAW 104
LAW114
POL 168
ANTH 150

Thanks in advance.
this is what K. said about ANTH150 on the previous page. im just bringing it to your attention... coz i have no idea, i dont start it untill semester 2, but it sounds good;

"anth150- absolutely amazing subject, really interesting readings, tutorials are so inviting and open and discussive. Fantastic, I recommend it for an elective! Assignment essays are dead easy; two essays that don't require too much research, but more of your own thinking. There are no tutorial papers! and the final exam is multiple choice; which, if you have turned up to lectures and read most of your tutorial readings, then its a cinch. In fact, even if you havent read anything or turned up to many lectures, its still a cinch. Awesome subject. A++"

oh and if anyone could tell me about these units, that'd be great;
ECH126
ANTH106
BIOL108
HLTH107
DEM127
GEOS111

thanks.

Last edited:

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
blueyez said:
oh and if anyone could tell me about these units, that'd be great;
ECH126
ANTH106
BIOL108
HLTH107
DEM127
GEOS111

thanks.
I did ECH126 last year and it was rubbish - I wouldn't recommend doing this subject, unless you have to.

The assignments were marked incredibly harshly - and the assignment questions were vague and pointless.

I also had a tutor who was a complete psycho!

Avoid this subject like the plague if you can! The only interesting part was the tutorials, where we had class discussions on offtopic things like current affairs events and other things.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
ALLLICE said:
:wave: Hey, can someone tell me what these are like...

SOC175
PHIL132
HIST189
LING109
I did ling109 in my first year and I really enjoyed it. The assignments are worth 40% and are mainly based on the tutorial questions which we discuss in class anyway. The exam is worth 35% and you only need to know three or four lecture topics. I had Jennifer Peck as my tutor and she was really good - you should try to enrol in one of her classes if you can.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Supra said:
Oh you are so sexy when you start talking finance :p I've been coming on to u in my last few posts, consider this to be the extent of those sexual favours i promised u to get me into DELOITTE!!

I was looking at treasury as well...with all those trading subjects.

Why Industrial Analysis?
Well, have a look at the description:
On completion of this subject, students will have developed the comprehensive analytical knowledge and skills required to evaluate companies within their industries. Students will develop knowledge of key industry value drivers and gain an understanding of the importance of corporate strategy and industry positioning in sustaining shareholder value. [http://www.finsia.edu.au/Education/Courses/CoursesOffered/GDAFI/Outline/E131]

I think that's pretty valuable since investment banks help a range of companies in varying industries. You learn to make a detailed company view and make real-world reports so highly relevant :)

There is one concern I have. If there is a bear market, the level of M&A and Valuations activity will go down accordingly, leading to a decrease in the demand for this work. That's one drawback to Corporate Finance I guess, the job security doesn't seem to be there compared to say, accounting.

In regards to this topic
Does anyone know if lecture attendance at ECON350 is essential? Are the slides enough? I have work and the bastards don't seem to be giving me time off (i work in the night).
lol.

E131 to me sounds a bit of a waste of time to be honest - just going by that description. To me it sounds like it is trying to teach skills that you cannot really learn. I mean if you are going to analyse anything - you have to look into it no matter what....I dunno its getting late and I've probably just misunderstood it.

Just so that you guys know - you can actually go into the FINSIA office and check out the course notes for any subject.

Luke! said:
Ah, Reddy, still lurking the BoS forums? Hehe.

I'd probably want to do the Corp. Finance stream. It seems like the most relevant stream to IB. But the Inv. Management stream sounds pretty tempting as well- I enjoy portfolio management/analysis stuff. What do you think?

What's the workload like with the headstart program? I mean, 4 units at uni plus 2 units for the grad.dip, I don't want to overload myself.

As for the grad.dip electives to satisfy the Corp. Finance stream... I'm thinking...

App. Valuation (E102)
Corp. & Structured Finance (E141)
Interest Rate Markets & Risk Management (E101)
Industrial Equity Analysis (E131) or Mining Investment Analysis (E132)
M&A (E142)

And oneday, after I finish all of this finance stuff, I might go back to uni and do a B.Sc in Petroleum Engineering.

BTW, did you choose a specific stream or do a more generalist diploma? And, how's E&Y going?
Yeah mate - I'm looking around here every now and then.

I was always going to do Corp Fin - the others didn't really interest me. If anything else I would have done Treasury stream, but 1) it is not meant to be easy - unless they water it down 2) I don't think I'd be up for the hard work required (not only for the studies - but the job that might follow). I think the Corp Fin stream is the most relevant and "worth it" - the FINSIA qualification is only going to get you so far. If you seek such a career - you shouldn't be at FINSIA in my opinion.

In terms of workload. I did ACCG323, ACCG340 and BUSL320 with C2 and C3. So it wasn't to bad - mainly because the timing was awesome. I had no assessments at uni in the couple of weeks preceding the assignments (ended up doing 2 assignments in 1 night...and they are fairly lengthy! Handed both in about 10 mins late hahah) and the exams for the two subjects were 9 days after my uni exams. So I don't think it affected the workload greatly. But it does depend on what kind of person you are - of course if you spend time every week on all of your subjects it will affect your workload...but don't be alarmed - I found it overall to be less than the workload for uni subjects. If and when you do decide on it - even look at the timetable to see what subject you'll do depending on the assessment timetable.

I found C2 good. I enjoyed it and if you like it - you'll really like E102.

I hated C3. Glad I got one of the stupid subjects out of the way. The other one is C1, which I'm delaying as much as I can! lol

You don't chose a stream as such. You just do whatever subjects you want...you don't even need to meet the pre-reqs. It is just a guide. Ultimately, it is up to you.

And yeah, its not EY. :)
(I'm actually in the office at the moment)

ALLLICE

HSC
marchetta said:
I did ling109 in my first year and I really enjoyed it. The assignments are worth 40% and are mainly based on the tutorial questions which we discuss in class anyway. The exam is worth 35% and you only need to know three or four lecture topics. I had Jennifer Peck as my tutor and she was really good - you should try to enrol in one of her classes if you can.
Sounds promising :uhhuh:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
ALLLICE said:
:wave: Hey, can someone tell me what these are like...

SOC175
PHIL132
HIST189
LING109
Never did PHIL123 but I did do PHIL131 and apparently the structure is very similar, in terms of the assessments and weightings. It includes:

2 x 35% essays (1500 words each)
10% tutorial attendance
20% final exam

(this is assuming it is the same as when i did phil131 - 3 years ago)

Overall, if your an essay person, and not an exam person (like me), then this subject (and phil131) is hot. I cant tell you much about the content though, but first year phil subjects are all cool and its worth doing as many as possible for your electives.

Armic

HSC
I got quite alot of units I'm wondering about. Their descriptions aren't very detailed...

AHST100

AHST103

JPN118

JPN190 (Vacation Unit)

HIST189

CHN157

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Armic said:
I got quite alot of units I'm wondering about. Their descriptions aren't very detailed...

AHST100

AHST103

JPN118

JPN190 (Vacation Unit)

HIST189

CHN157
AHST100:

If you like ancient history, particularly Ancient Egyptian History, this is a good unit to take. Maq excels at ancient history and to have so many top-class academics talk to you in one unit is brilliant and truly something special (I had heard of at least 3 of the speakers during hig school by there work).

Now, for the bad thing. If history is not for you, or if you are only moderately interested in history but not too motivated to put much work in a history unit, then avoid this unit like the plague. The content covered is extraordinarily huge - covering 4 huge time periods. We are given detailed lectures (some of the best i've ever had), but when it comes to exam time (4 essays), the essays could be on anything and often on very specific things. This is the only unit where i saw a girl cry in the exam and give up - and it was only that i love history and did it in high school (and studied heaps) that i didnt break down in the exam too - it really is a unit that you need to work hard at. Not a unit that you can treat as a bludge unit.

The assessment weightings (for what i remember):

2x 15% tut paper

25% essay

45% final exam -4or5 essays (the reallly hard exam)

it may have changed since i did it though. Rob would have done it a year later- he might know the exact weightings.

Armic

HSC
Oh ok, thanks for the heads up on that. I was tossing up between AHST100 and AHST103... I think I might go with AHST103 and AHST101. Especially since I got denied from Ancient History in high school and had to settle with Modern History. So I don't have the best background on Egypt.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
AHST103: Being a Roman buff, I highly recommend this unit if nothing more than to be taught by Tom Hillard. The course is pretty intense and I would suggest you keep on top of things from the get-go.

I did it a few years back and I've heard that they've since changed the course so I'm probably not the best for specifics, but it covers a good deal of the downfall of the Roman Republic.

I think if you haven't done any Ancient before it shouldn't matter too much, and these 100 level units are awesome in that they'll teach you what to do and how to research/write as a historian. Definitely recommend this if you have even the slightest interest in Roman History.

ALLLICE

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Never did PHIL123 but I did do PHIL131 and apparently the structure is very similar, in terms of the assessments and weightings. It includes:

2 x 35% essays (1500 words each)
10% tutorial attendance
20% final exam

(this is assuming it is the same as when i did phil131 - 3 years ago)

Overall, if your an essay person, and not an exam person (like me), then this subject (and phil131) is hot. I cant tell you much about the content though, but first year phil subjects are all cool and its worth doing as many as possible for your electives.
Essays ftw :D

I see Armic here is also doing HIST 189 :wave: .... btw can someone give me the low down on this course...I've heard mixed reviews

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
ALLLICE said:
Sounds promising :uhhuh:
Oh, I forgot the mention that there's a new convenor for the unit (I heard it's Annabelle Lukin, but i'm not sure) so the course might be different now. But yeah, it's a good unit and i still recommend you to study it. :)

Last edited:

K.

HSC
Armic said:
Oh ok, thanks for the heads up on that. I was tossing up between AHST100 and AHST103... I think I might go with AHST103 and AHST101. Especially since I got denied from Ancient History in high school and had to settle with Modern History. So I don't have the best background on Egypt.

101 is fun. A few of the lectures are mega boring (*cough* Okinga, Hilliard *cough*) But Plant (His name is Ian M Plant, DR IMPLANT LOL) is pretty good. Tutorial papers were really, really interesting and its so hard to actually stick to the word limit.

1 essay, at least 2 tutorial papers and the exam.

K.

HSC
LOL DR BUTT. AHAHAH I couldnt stop laughing with DR IMPLANT, DR BUTT. oh god.

bahahahahahaha

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
K. said:
101 is fun. A few of the lectures are mega boring (*cough* Okinga, Hilliard *cough*) But Plant (His name is Ian M Plant, DR IMPLANT LOL) is pretty good. Tutorial papers were really, really interesting and its so hard to actually stick to the word limit.

1 essay, at least 2 tutorial papers and the exam.
Lol. Ockinga's lectures weren't that boring. I remember that he had a lot of cool slides in 100. I also remember he had something against puns. He said that they are 'the lowest form of humour.' Don't know why i still remember him saying that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)