• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (12 Viewers)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
actually, not ever operating a SCO i think is going to be the biggest regret for me when i finish (for the most part) in about 12 days, i think it's the one woolies thing i'll never get to do :(:(:(

edit: also, anybody want to come to my woolies going away bash, it's in Gladesville, PM for details

Craven

HSC
heh, SCOs are handy but for the most part are a pain in the ass... one of them had a meltdown the other day in that it froze while printing the receipt, so I had to reboot it and told the customer to go to the service desk while I get the printed receipt from EJ, but then the last transaction wasn't hers... the SCO rebooted quicker than I expected so I went over and reprinted last receipt: it had her items but then said
Subtotal $44.26

CASH $50.00
-----------------
EFT
Card no
etc
APPROVED 00 ... $28.87
-----------------
EFT $15.00
CHANGE $35.00

we're all like, WTF? because she said yeah it was $28 that I paid for on the card.... we couldn't explain it :S it's like it mashed two transactions together or something..

jirwin

HSC
actually, not ever operating a SCO i think is going to be the biggest regret for me when i finish (for the most part) in about 12 days, i think it's the one woolies thing i'll never get to do :(:(:(

edit: also, anybody want to come to my woolies going away bash, it's in Gladesville, PM for details
Why are you leaving? What will you be doing?

Harry778

HSC
Long day! It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. She did yell at me over the PA though. She was in the cash office for a bit and was helping the office girl do a pick up. She rang me and asked for a couple that hadnt been done yet. So I went and told them, she rang me again about 10 mins later, only 1 left, so went and told the...5 mins later 'HARRISON JACOB SOMMERS CAN YOU CONTACT THE OFFICE' everyone on express went "ooohhhhhhh" lol it was pretty funny, but the system had kiked her out already, so it was to late. Unfortunatly, she did not see the funny side to it and told the CSM. He didn't care, and it wasnt really my fault anyway. I am super pissed at her for that. So I made her serve a few times when it got busy. I asked her and she said why cant you serve? I said that I have to go to liquor and count a draw. HAHA!

Other than that, she stayed up stairs most of the day. I drove her home and didnt speak to her. All I said was from now on, take your own car! LOL.

HSC
Long day! It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. She did yell at me over the PA though. She was in the cash office for a bit and was helping the office girl do a pick up. She rang me and asked for a couple that hadnt been done yet. So I went and told them, she rang me again about 10 mins later, only 1 left, so went and told the...5 mins later 'HARRISON JACOB SOMMERS CAN YOU CONTACT THE OFFICE' everyone on express went "ooohhhhhhh" lol it was pretty funny, but the system had kiked her out already, so it was to late. Unfortunatly, she did not see the funny side to it and told the CSM. He didn't care, and it wasnt really my fault anyway. I am super pissed at her for that. So I made her serve a few times when it got busy. I asked her and she said why cant you serve?I said that I have to go to liquor and count a draw. HAHA!

Other than that, she stayed up stairs most of the day. I drove her home and didnt speak to her. All I said was from now on, take your own car! LOL.
Love the "take your own car" comment! Its probably a good idea too.

Did your store make you get RSA before you could snap/refund etc in liquor? Because during trade hours I'm not allowed to step beyond the "magic line". Apaz RSA training me is now money that we don't have and don't need to spend. Its just annoying now because when I'm on closes, I can't spot check any of the four liquor tills until after close, which contributes to why I never leave on time.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
fucking LOL, at being called your full name over the PA (p.s. totally going to FB stalk you now).

We've got a few families that work at our store, but that has NEVER happened.

Harry778

HSC
lol no face book for me. I only have myspace...but havent used it in ages!!
It was pretty embarrassing, you know when your introuble when your parents call you your full name.

Yeah, all supervisors (over 18 at my store) have to be RSA trained. But if your not, they dont care if you spot in liquor..just have to be 18+ I started supervising when I was 16 so that made it very difficult.

HSC
Yeah, all supervisors (over 18 at my store) have to be RSA trained. But if your not, they dont care if you spot in liquor..just have to be 18+ I started supervising when I was 16 so that made it very difficult.
That sucks. It seriously adds 10-15 minutes to my close because I can't do those spot checks beforehand, and no liquor staff apart from the manager and a girl who is also a weekend office cashier have supervisor numbers.

Craven

HSC
^ Be naughty and get them to cash it up, then spot it at the workstation, lol...

Harry778

HSC
Wait..keep in mind this is at my store...if your under 18, you cant sign on to a liquor register, but you can spot check under someone elses numbers (SVR menu --> spot check blah blah) so technically your not signing onto a register, and there is no magic line either...guess they're a bit stricter at your store.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
^ Be naughty and get them to cash it up, then spot it at the workstation, lol...
ahh, lol, that reminds me of the good old days. every operator would count their own drawer and write it on a special slip, then they all had to be spot checked on the workstation. to do a proper spot check you had to first spot check the drawer with no money in it, record what the EFT value for the register was, then spot check with the cash, and add in the EFT figure so it all balanced. Then the over/short was only for that day, then the office cashier re-counted all the drawers in the morning anyway.

HSC
haha the "magic line" is just a gold strip on the flooring. bit of a joke between me and the liquor staff.

i got my ssm to allow my checkout bank to sign in on liquor registers, but thats only so i could spot check without having liquor staff in there (often they finish dead on closing time and i'm responsible for dealing with their keys/tills).

Harry778

HSC
ahh, lol, that reminds me of the good old days. every operator would count their own drawer and write it on a special slip, then they all had to be spot checked on the workstation. to do a proper spot check you had to first spot check the drawer with no money in it, record what the EFT value for the register was, then spot check with the cash, and add in the EFT figure so it all balanced. Then the over/short was only for that day, then the office cashier re-counted all the drawers in the morning anyway.
I dont understand why they make it for the whole week? Why cant they just reset the over/short everyday..would make it so much easier.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont understand why they make it for the whole week? Why cant they just reset the over/short everyday..would make it so much easier.
because we use "continuous floats" now, in the old days, from what i can gather, you pretty much did a monday morning routine every day (i.e. picked up the total funds from the register, then re-issued floats), which was pretty much a lot of waste of time

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
like, basically, way i see it, there are really only two "proper" spot checks on a register per period, both on sundays, everything in between is a draft. although i spose the bigger stores do have their OC re-spot check everynight, although that isnt supposed to happen

edit: still no takers for my WOW1360 partay?

Craven

HSC
Yeah, it's a lot of work to do every day for no real benefit I think. I don't think it's anymore effective tracking cash over a day than a week... back in those days didn't the operators have to foot shortages?

Also technically speaking the money in the floats is Armaguards as we have to bank to them the total float every Monday.... if we reissued floats every day wouldn't we have to bank the floats everyday? That's a lot of money - our floats are 45k. Or am I just being crazy? lol, or did they just pickup everything in the till so it was 0, then reissue the value of the spotcheck and have the safe out each day and then short/overbank it? Doesn't make much sense to me! Haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)