The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Hello. I'm currently applying for Heathrow-based cabin crew with Qantas, and these are my draft answers to the questions, please pass opinion before I submit? Way too long? The second one isn't even compulsory and i wrote shitloads.

Please provide a personal example of when you have delivered excellent customer service.*

I was acting as the Service Supervisor on duty one day when i was approached by a woman at the service desk who noticed several errors in price and scanning on her receipt. We went through the receipt and the groceries she had purchased together, and it became clear that the Service Cashier who had handled her transaction had made several mistakes, causing the customer to be overcharged considerably. I apologised profusely and promised to speak to the Service Cashier in question, then promptly refunded the charging errors. As she was leaving she noticed that she didn't have a certain product that she'd purchased in her bag. After both looking around for it for a while, we decided that she must have left it in the car and I thought little more of it. Hours later when I was cleaning the the Service Department in preparation for close of trade, i unearthed the customer's missing product. I knew her last name and attempted to find her in the phonebook (I live in a lightly populated area). Not being able to locate her, on my break I sent an SMS to my mother, who used to work with the woman in question. Mum didn't have her number anymore, either. Then about a week later her husband came into the store, and as he came through to finalise his purchases, i presented him with the product free of charge, after explaining the situation and again apologising for the inconvenience caused if they had bought a substitute product since.
What characteristics do you think make a great team player?

There are obviously many, many traits that make up effective team players in any group of co-workers. In my experience, the most effective characteristics are (1) the possession of a good sense of humour, (2) an easy-going disposition, (3) recognition of diversity and (4) the commitment to put in the hard yards.
(1) In my years in a very customer-centric role, the best workers, managers and people i have been able to respect most are those who can maintain chirpy throughout incredibly stressful situations, and also use their sense of humour to smooth over tense situations with both colleagues and customers. Having a couple of jokesters around makes the staff's time at work enjoyable, and 99% of the time, if the staff are happy the customers will be too!
(2) There will ALWAYS, in every workplace, be those who are easily offended, easily offensive, easily stressed, easily get angry with colleagues etc, but the teammates who shine are those who can rise above the politics of the workplace and form amicable, professional relationships with their co-workers.
(3) Recognition of diversity is similar to being easy-going, as it is simply acknowledging that some colleagues and customers will always be different to you, and will do things in their own way and own time and that your way isn't necessarily the only one. You might even be able to learn new tricks!
(4) This is very simple. No one likes a deadweight in their team, and a good work ethic, attention for detail, time management skills and efficiency all come under this banner and are essential in the functioning of any team in the workplace.

I got my management shirt on Friday wohoo.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
One of the funniest things happened today in Bakery.
Haha that's happened to us before, but not to that extent!!
One of the pipes was leaky on the deck oven, and for a few weeks we were all :confused: about where the brown liquid was coming from! But all was fixed when the oven was serviced...

Last week we managed to break the steam setting on the rack oven, a temperature knob off the deck oven, and the seal on our large Hobart mixer. The ovens were fixed but we have a replacement Hobart now... off which the 'stop' knob has already broken! Ha!

I'm learning how to make the full bread production in about a month or so... should be fun :)

My mum told me I should go back and work in liquor, only to do 15-20 hrs a week and take it easy. She was the one egging me on to quit! I don't understand that woman, seriously.
She probably misses the board :p

But just for future reference, is their still a hiring freeze going on? My old store hired a few, even put a couple on salary, so I'm guessing it might have just been a bit of thunder from the top?
In the last month or two, we've hired a new liquor manager (AFTER which the old liquor manager quit, lol), one or two new perishables assistant, about 5+ nightfillers, new produce assistants and a few new longlife dayfill staff.
Zomg more staff being hired now than were hired as Xmas casuals! :santa:

HSC
In the last month or two, we've hired a new liquor manager (AFTER which the old liquor manager quit, lol), one or two new perishables assistant, about 5+ nightfillers, new produce assistants and a few new longlife dayfill staff.
Zomg more staff being hired now than were hired as Xmas casuals! :santa:
Same with us, about 15 new checkout staff, 20 new homeshop staff, 10 new nighfillers, liquor staff etc.

Ben's going to be jealous

And for like the third edit, homeshop must have started today in my store.

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
Is it being managed by someone competant?

ours wasn't and was a complete mess for the first couple months.

they're finally swapping managers very soon, so we might have a well run department. hopefully.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Hello. I'm currently applying for Heathrow-based cabin crew with Qantas, and these are my draft answers to the questions, please pass opinion before I submit? Way too long? The second one isn't even compulsory and i wrote shitloads.

Please provide a personal example of when you have delivered excellent customer service.*

Sounds really great, but maybe go through and just check Grammar? Like there are a few 'i's in there etc.

But other than that good luck. Although you will get sick of London, sooner than you probably think :p (Lived there for 8 years)

HSC

they're finally swapping managers very soon, so we might have a well run department. hopefully.
Being managed for the time being by the old seafood manager, until she goes on maternity leave. Then I've heard whispers that one of the f/time grocery guys (who should have got groc 2IC) will be taking over, but thats not definite and its kind of on a hush hush basis. But he would do a good job of it.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
But just for future reference, is their still a hiring freeze going on? My old store hired a few, even put a couple on salary, so I'm guessing it might have just been a bit of thunder from the top?
I thought that is still was? Maybe it's region-specific? We haven't had anyone since they announced it, and word out there on the chill chair is that our entire area isn't having any more inductions for anything until June. I have no idea what the staff trainer is doing with her time atm.

Sounds really great, but maybe go through and just check Grammar? Like there are a few 'i's in there etc.

But other than that good luck. Although you will get sick of London, sooner than you probably think :p (Lived there for 8 years)
Thanks only respondent. Yes i shall fix those! Very lazy of me.
Don't tell Qantas but if i ever get the job i would only keep it for around 12 months or so.

What are the other stores running homeshop in Hobez? I think only Meadows does it up here, and probs Dev-Rock as well I guess. You are New Town yes? Sometimes when i see comparative data for Tas i look to see yours and then think of how sad that is.

HSC
I thought that is still was? Maybe it's region-specific? We haven't had anyone since they announced it, and word out there on the chill chair is that our entire area isn't having any more inductions for anything until June. I have no idea what the staff trainer is doing with her time atm.
Wow, we're having two induction groups per week at the moment. Every second/third thursday I get a new group of checkout staff, and thats just one store and one department.

HSC

Personally, I think these are pretty good, you've done well with the whole STAR method (knowingly or not). I'm doing an app for a KPMG vac program at the moment, and unfortunately the questions they're asking kind of have nothing to do with anything I've done/achieved through Woolworths. :(

PyroTek

HSC
yay. Work tomorrow, Deli, 5am-7am, Perishables, 7am-3pm. I don't like early starts!

HSC
speaking of early starts
THU: 0700-1400, god help me getting out of bed at 6 :(

but I have
WED: 11:00-17:00
THUR: 07:00-14:00

woo

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lols pyro. helping setup deli?

i do 6am starts all the time .. along with midnight closes.

doing 2 5am starts thisweek, and then BAM! they give me a midnight shift. =.= gg

NNS7

HSC
N/A
lols pyro. i do 6am starts all the time
Yeh me too, 6am is my rostered start time, sometimes i start earlier depending on what is going on. you get used to them after a while, and best of all no traffic on the way to work!

5am start and midnight finish in the same week, I feel your pain shinji, I used to do shit like that before I got promoted and did/had influence over the rosters! not any more lol, haven't worked past 10pm in over a year, I think.....

HSC
Yeh me too, 6am is my rostered start time, sometimes i start earlier depending on what is going on. you get used to them after a while, and best of all no traffic on the way to work!

5am start and midnight finish in the same week, I feel your pain shinji, I used to do shit like that before I got promoted and did/had influence over the rosters! not any more lol, haven't worked past 10pm in over a year, I think.....
I'm used to 6am starts no problem (well yeah I try to get out of as many as I can but I WILL work them), but I have a bit of a mental barrier with 5am.

I am trying to convince my CSM to permanently add in a wednesday shift to my roster so that I never have to do Monday morning tickets (which is getting earlier and earlier - first time I ever did them it was a 7am start, now its 5am) ever again.

PyroTek

HSC
yeah, I have 1x 6:30am start a week, and 3x 7am starts a week. Kinda refreshing.. weirdly enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)