The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
One thing i'd also like to see as national communication to all sectors is that you cannot scan your own discount card (like people do for EDR). By having a policy where you must present your card to the staff member and have them scan it when its not obvious you are an employee (eg: BIG W workers shopping at Woolworths) this would allow the operator(s) to check names better.
That proposing argument is completely obsolete due to self serve, unless the SCO supervisor get's an approval screen when every SDC is scanned, but I doubt that will happen.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
In my opinion, if you let other people use your card, you don't deserve having the card.

britto89

HSC
That proposing argument is completely obsolete due to self serve, unless the SCO supervisor get's an approval screen when every SDC is scanned, but I doubt that will happen.
When self-serve was first introduced at Big W discount cards were required to be authorised by the attendant. I always thought it funny this feature went away since without it you're right iMathew there is no way cards are actually checked at self-serve, which seems to contradict what happens (or what they want to happen) at every other register.

bouncingCats

HSC
Anyone else see this?

"Woolworths to sell insurance"

The next time Woolworths customers drop into their local store for dog biscuits, they'll also be able to buy their furry friend some pet insurance.

The supermarket giant has announced it will launch a bundle of insurance products, including life and pet insurance.

Head of insurance George Hughes said Woolworths intended to expand its financial services arm with the launch of the insurance products.

"We intend to have a long-term presence in the insurance sector, with the ability to cater for all our customers' insurance needs," Mr Hughes said in a statement on Friday.

"Whether it's groceries, credit cards, mobile phone plans and now insurance, our customers trust Woolworths to deliver products and services that are reliable, uncomplicated and great value for money."

Woolworths said its research showed 95 per cent of Australian families did not have enough life insurance cover because many insurance products were confusing.

It said it hoped to make its products easy to understand and accessible to customers.

Woolworths will partner with global reinsurance firm Swiss Re and insurance provider The Hollard Group.
Courtesy of: http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/aap/8290586/woolworths-to-sell-insurance

bensneddon

HSC
We all knew it was coming sooner or later.

What do you think Woolworths will go into next (either Supermarket division, or company as a whole)?

My money was on in-store pharmacy in Big W, but apparently there is some regulatory issue.

Maybe loans? Personal, Car, even Home one day???

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Well they have already got their foot in many different markets, eye/vision care, department stores, supermarket, liquor, gambling, technology, now home improvement...

Hmmm. I think loans could be a possible contender for Woolworths..

rhan90

HSC
Hi all,

I have a question about working at a Coles Group shop and a Woolworths at the same time. I work at Target and have recently applied for a local Safeway. I did the group interview last week and have a one-on-one interview this week. Anyway, my friend works for DSE and has heard of someone at her work being made to quit her job at Coles to be able to work for Woolworths. She thinks they may have a policy about working for a competitive company at the same time as working for woolworths.

Does anyone know anything about this? I've tried googling but nothing has come up, not even with very generic search terms.

I am unsure whether I should ask the store manager about this when I interview, or whether it would jeopardise my chances.

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

britto89

HSC
I don't think it should be an issue because its Target and Safeway instead of Coles and Safeway. It should all detailed in the "Code of Conduct" for the companies. You'll get the woolworths one in training and you should already have access to the Target one.

The important thing if you get the Safeway job would be not to talk about Target (not for the point of hiding you work there but for the point of not releasing internal information between companies) at Safeway and not to talk about Safeway at Target.

rhan90

HSC
I don't think it should be an issue because its Target and Safeway instead of Coles and Safeway. It should all detailed in the "Code of Conduct" for the companies. You'll get the woolworths one in training and you should already have access to the Target one.

The important thing if you get the Safeway job would be not to talk about Target (not for the point of hiding you work there but for the point of not releasing internal information between companies) at Safeway and not to talk about Safeway at Target.
Thanks for the reply :) I figured that it may be different as target and Safeway don't compete with each other directly. I'll definetly keep what you said in mind about not discussing either company while at the other. I hadnt really thought about that, although it makes sense. I try to be fair and just try not to comment much when discussing target with anyone as I don't see the point in bashing them. I have asked at target if they're aware of any policies like that but my manager is fairly sure it isn't a problem from the Coles group end. I'll hunt it down and check it out just to be safe anyway.

Also, an unrelated question for anybody to answer, but does Safeway hire Xmas casuals of sorts? It doesn't actually day that when you apply, but I'm a little worried that I may get treated as a Xmas casual when I want this to be a long term job while I'm at uni. Just the timing of the applications has made me wonder... I am really eager to start asap and I'm hoping the induction and training process won't take long if I do get the job. Sorry I'm a bit all over the place, I'm pretty frazzled at the moment

poiison13

HSC
N/A
Hi all... I'm a newbie checkout chick at Woolies. I was hired a couple of weeks ago as casual although the manager said we'd be put on as PPT quickly as they preferred to do it that way, and it's better for everyone.
We were told we'd have around 15 - 20 hours per week, but that it would normally end up much more then that with the extra shifts available. I've done around 10 hours each for the first 2 weeks, but have none at all this week, and am on the roster for 10 next week.

1. Is this normal or do I need to approach someone about this?

2. Where do we get our payslips from? I need a paper one to set up e-payslips

3. With regards to the scan rate - how do we know what our rate is, and what rate should we be aiming for?

Thankyou!

hahahayley

HSC
Hi all... I'm a newbie checkout chick at Woolies.

1. Is this normal or do I need to approach someone about this?

2. Where do we get our payslips from? I need a paper one to set up e-payslips

3. With regards to the scan rate - how do we know what our rate is, and what rate should we be aiming for?

Thankyou!
For a casual that is entirely normal. Unless your name is deleted entirely from the roster I wouldn't be concerned.

Check with your service manager. Front end payslips are usually kept somewhere at the service desk.

I've personally never paid any attention to scan rates but you can usually ask the 2ic/manager to let you know.

poiison13

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the quick reply. Called in and grabbed my payslip, and asked about shifts. Have one coming up and possibly more. Thanks.

I asked about the scan rate because I see it's been mentioned earlier in the thread - I'm quite interested in knowing what mine is.

BSammy

HSC
As far as I'm aware, 16 is a decent scan rate. and you'll only really find out what yours is if your service manager/store cares enough to print out that report every week or however often. if you have Service Manager privileges in the Office program on the computer (which you won't) you can check the report.

nanakid12

HSC
Hi all,

I have a question about working at a Coles Group shop and a Woolworths at the same time. I work at Target and have recently applied for a local Safeway. I did the group interview last week and have a one-on-one interview this week. Anyway, my friend works for DSE and has heard of someone at her work being made to quit her job at Coles to be able to work for Woolworths. She thinks they may have a policy about working for a competitive company at the same time as working for woolworths.

Does anyone know anything about this? I've tried googling but nothing has come up, not even with very generic search terms.

I am unsure whether I should ask the store manager about this when I interview, or whether it would jeopardise my chances.

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)
Hi,
From memory, I think it is only if you have a management position at either one of these companies that it is known as a "Conflict of Interest". In my store, there is a poster on the notice board about declaring any position you may hold with a competing company to Woolworths.

If you are just a checkout chick, or nightfiller (or whatever) with no management position, I'd say you'd be right. But you would have to be with one of these positions from both companies.

It's a lot of guessing here though, sorry so I'm probably not 100% accurate with this.

rhan90

HSC
Hi,
From memory, I think it is only if you have a management position at either one of these companies that it is known as a "Conflict of Interest". In my store, there is a poster on the notice board about declaring any position you may hold with a competing company to Woolworths.

If you are just a checkout chick, or nightfiller (or whatever) with no management position, I'd say you'd be right. But you would have to be with one of these positions from both companies.

It's a lot of guessing here though, sorry so I'm probably not 100% accurate with this.
Ah good, that's what I was hoping. I'm just a sales assistant at target and I'm only going for a.cashier position at Woolworths. It's all on my resume/application, so I'm hoping if they do have a problem, they'll bring it up with me sooner rather than later. Thanks for the reply! :)

NNS7

HSC
N/A
Hi,

yeh, thats close.
Officially:
Our code of conduct p.21 conflict of interest - "examples of conflict of interest are : do business or are employed by a company that is a competitor of Woolworths Limited."
- you are supposed to declare that you work for Target.

Unofficially:
I know people who work for both and haven't declared it and nobody cared. As was mentioned above, as long as you don't disscuss your work at Target at Woolworths and vice versa and are not in a management position I think you would be fine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)