The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

Clank_

HSC
I was wondering if you're a casual and rostered on but don't get a call to come in, do you still go to work?

Clank_

HSC
Of course you do.

Otherwise, what's the point of rostering you on?
Usually when I am rostered on that day I get a call asking me if I can work. I asked a couple other causals from work and they said to only go in when you get a call, as the roster for the current week is always changing and so if you don't get a call it means they don't need you anymore.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Usually when I am rostered on that day I get a call asking me if I can work. I asked a couple other causals from work and they said to only go in when you get a call, as the roster for the current week is always changing and so if you don't get a call it means they don't need you anymore.
That's stupid! If my store did that, we would never have staff! That's pathetic.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
That's extremely strange :S
A roster is meant to be a fixed 'timetable' for every department which expenditure is worked from too. If you're rostered on for that shift, it is YOURS and you should go in for it.
I've never heard of places calling you in when you're rostered... That's weird.

Daily grids are generated as per the roster, so I'm not sure how that works either :\

BSammy

HSC
Boring BSam goes to the agreement again.

Your roster for the following week should be on display each Wednesday.

If that changes before the shift, work has to contact you, NOT the other way round.
(If you are on the roster and they don't contact you, there is no change and you are still working.)

So if you turn up for a shift which is rostered and they haven't called you cancelling it, it is your shift.

CASUAL ROSTERING from the NATIONAL AGREEMENT

2.7.4 Casual employees, where practical, shall be notified in writing, not later than 5
days prior to the commencement of a weekly roster, of the anticipated days
and hours of work for the following week.

2.7.6 Start times may be changed, if contact is made, prior to the employee's arrival
for work. Where the labour schedule is changed after the schedule has been
posted on the noticeboard, the Company will notify the em'ployee of such
changes. Notification will include contacting the employee by telephone or
other electronic medium and leaving a message.

2.7.7 If rosters have not been prepared by the agreed time, and a casual rings to
confirm their hours, such casual shall then be advised of this fact and the
company shall then notify the casual by telephone or other electronic medium
and leaving a message in regards to their roster when it is finalised .

BSammy

HSC
also, are you nightfill?

The nightfill rosters in some places used to be given to the office and all the casual nightfillers would have to call each morning to see if they
are working that night. This shouldn't happen anymore, but there might be some culture of it sticking round.

nanakid12

HSC
@nanakid12: thanks for the info, i cant wait, it'll make transactions in express so much quicker!

but everyone in my store hates the new phones! the microphones feedback on themselves (both squealing and echoing), calls and hold music get transferred to the PA system(!) or just dont get transferred and the line goes silent, numbers dont always dial properly and the quality of the PA audio just sucks now making it completely impossible to understand.

thats all i can think of right now, but we're finding them really disappointing
Snap. Well I was getting all excited for nothing. I can't wait for the delay of my voice over the PA... GRR! I'm already shit enough as it is. Also, what's all this I read a few pages back about no portable for the Service Supervisor during the night? Is this for every store, or just iMathew's? Or am I just majorly confused about random shit?

Regarding the Visa paywave, I'm starting to have my doubts about it. They could still implement it, but... why? It would only work for credit cards, because it is routed through the Visa network, and the EFT terminals process credit automatically anyway. I don't believe there would be much gained in this, if only for a 8.3 second difference in checkout time.

That's stupid! If my store did that, we would never have staff! That's pathetic.
Weird stuff happening all around.

Boring BSam goes to the agreement again.
Yes, you are quite boring, aren't you?

I'd also like to note the annoyance of sarcasm not transferring well over text :( hopefully a lack of emoticons aids that point?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Snap. Well I was getting all excited for nothing. I can't wait for the delay of my voice over the PA... GRR! I'm already shit enough as it is. Also, what's all this I read a few pages back about no portable for the Service Supervisor during the night? Is this for every store, or just iMathew's? Or am I just majorly confused about random shit?
I asked if we could use the phones. Nobody knew so I asked my CSM if we could use them. She said yes, so now every shift I wear it.
Most people don't want the phones (idk why) so even if I'm not supervising I have the phone on me lol

nanakid12

HSC
I asked if we could use the phones. Nobody knew so I asked my CSM if we could use them. She said yes, so now every shift I wear it.
Most people don't want the phones (idk why) so even if I'm not supervising I have the phone on me lol
Ah ok sweet. I thought you meant that only the CSM got to have the portable. Thanks for telling me :)

That sounds just like you.
Like a dick? Sorry :/ my shit way of trying to be funny.

nanakid12

HSC
Sorry for double posting. But we got the new phones! Amazing. Sort of.

I'm already use to the lack of the "beeeeep" on the PA, so that doesn't phase me to much. And it's okay if youre using the PA from a proper phone, but the delay when using the portable makes me feel like I'm a rodeo commentator or NASCAR announcer.

I also noticed that whenever there is an external phone call, both the portable and the service desk phone started violently ringing, it sounded nothing like a telephone. More like a poker machine dispensing a prize. THAT was hard to get use to, cause it sounded so comical I was never sure I should take it seriously or not.

Even though I did the evolution training months ago on all yours, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing tonight. Most nights, nobody rings our store, maybe one or two if we're lucky. Oh no, not tonight: of course the day we get the new phones, which I have hardley any idea how to use, we get every bastard in town ringing up to enquire about what time we close. Grr! (okay, maybe like 5 calls, but that's still a lot for us)

I'll get use to it. Will definitely be handy when I'm down spot checking registers away from the service desk, I can just take the phone call then and there instead of frantically getting an operator to hold the till shut while I sprint down to the service desk, and the moment I reach for the receiver, someone from the deli steal my phone call, rendering my little exercise useless GRR.

Also, how awesome is it when you go to PA, and when you start talking, you hear someone else's voice? Haha. Cracked me up.

Sorry, I'll stop writing now. Apologies for the long ads post.

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Sounds like your phone system was on night switch, otherwise external calls don't come up on mobiles. Night switch is activated/deactivated by using *99 but technically shouldn't be used while the store is trading (although it is handy at night).
I didn't use the phone tonight. It was so weird, I often had moment when I would reach for my pocket to use the PA and I couldn't lol.

nanakid12

HSC
Imathew: yea the display said night switch was on, on the service phone. U can still answer te phone with the portable with *01 (line respective) though, right?
Also noticed that if your on the PA and you dial numbers, those beeps get sent over the loudspeaker too. Also, I did something weird and I think I may have parked a PA call, or transferred an internal call on the PA at one stage if that's even possible. Weird shiz.

Ekul: WAAAAATTT? Still?!?! Slackers. Is sco10 the thing announced around the same time as evolution, which I also did the training for, for no reason?

BSammy

HSC
yeah ours are generally on night mode, especially when there's no one in the office. because that's the only place the phones ring when not on night mode, in a locked office.

T 360

HSC
yeah ours are generally on night mode, especially when there's no one in the office. because that's the only place the phones ring when not on night mode, in a locked office.
Same. If our office is occupied,its off but if there is nobody in the office,then they turn Night mode on.

john-91

HSC
At the service desk and around the store, all the phones have "Night service active". What happens when it is turned off?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
At the service desk and around the store, all the phones have "Night service active". What happens when it is turned off?
Then inbound calls will only ring on certain phones. Night service means it rings on every phone in the store. Woolworths doesn't want this on during trading hours though (despite it being essential sometimes)

T 360

HSC
Our store REALLY needs new Self Serve machines. They are getting beyond a joke. At least one Tech call out a week. Even the Technician today said that we need new machines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)