• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (13 Viewers)

HSC
I do that too but sometimes we need to look for produce in the computer. But even if I scan fast, I need to bag the stuff and sometimes that's the killer. :(

jas62

HSC
Hey everyone!!

I'm looking at relocating to the maitland area and was just wondering if anyone works around that area. I'm currently a service supervisor and would like to be a service manager. Be good if i could find out what stores are like there. Thanks if anyone could help me

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I earn, as a Casual BigW Recovery Associate, about $180 per week. After tax it goes to $150. Is this right, being taxed so heavily???

Ive handed in my Tax stuff also. Im really working one shift a week basically for the Government now..mabye I shouldn't try so hard!!

HSC
other things that can improve scanning rate:

press enter while removing reduced to clear labels
rather than packing bags as you go, scan a whole bunch of items that would be packed together, put them aside, then press enter and pack them.

It's all about reducing the scanning time, rather than actually scanning quicker

yobob

HSC
So you don't receive the full wage??

There is tax taken off your pay?

I thought this was taken care of when you pay your taxes at the end of each financial year.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
jas62 said:
Also for people working in cash office has anyone heard about systerms and cashoffice joining into one??? )
in what regard? same person doing both jobs (if so i HIGHLY doubt that, as that would be waaaaay to much work for one person)

or do you mean physically in the same room? if so, thats how it's done at our store ever since WoWPoS came in

HSC
babikakez said:
other things that can improve scanning rate:

press enter while removing reduced to clear labels
rather than packing bags as you go, scan a whole bunch of items that would be packed together, put them aside, then press enter and pack them.

It's all about reducing the scanning time, rather than actually scanning quicker
We have those automated labels now because there's self-serve checkouts in our store and they're a pain to scan sometimes. Does the customer not mind if I scan the bunch of stuff, press enter then pack? I mean, there'd be a heap of "subtotal" on their receipt? Lol.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
AndromedaAiken said:
We have those automated labels now because there's self-serve checkouts in our store and they're a pain to scan sometimes. Does the customer not mind if I scan the bunch of stuff, press enter then pack? I mean, there'd be a heap of "subtotal" on their receipt? Lol.
subtotals appear on screen, but no longer get printed on the receipt, except for the last one. also items also automatically get grouped into Qty's now, and cancelled items just dont show up on the printed receipts now

edit: be warned though, dont keep pressing ENTER if customers are using pre-swipe, because then you'll just be heaps slow

ytrbut

HSC
Has anyone ever lost an RF gun, or left an RF gun on a shelf on the shop floor which was later found and brought to the attention of the SM/SSM/STM/DM etc.? If so, did anything happen?

ytrbut

HSC
KaaN10 said:
Ok. I've been to induction on 13th, training on 17th and 18th first shift on 19th but havn't been paid. For training+first shift I should get paid for that on Wednesday but Induction was on the 13th. What do you guys suggest me to do?
I got paid for my induction on my first in-store payment. In your case, that means they'll likely include it in your Wednesday (ie. 24th) pay. Remembering that the store likely didn't have your payroll number last Wednesday and you hadn't actually started there yet, it would have been impossible for them to pay you last week.

If they don't include the induction pay in your Wednesday 24th payslip, then I'd say something to your DM and/or the office cashier. However, until then (especially given it's your first week), strongly suggest you wait and see.

jas62

HSC
ytrbut said:
Has anyone ever lost an RF gun, or left an RF gun on a shelf on the shop floor which was later found and brought to the attention of the SM/SSM/STM/DM etc.? If so, did anything happen?

Dont tell me you lost an RF lol. . . people in my store lose them all the time but they always turn up. As long as it turns up they shouldnt get up you unless they are fuckwits. So i would be scared:worried:

Well i heard that systerms and cashoffice will join to one but will still have the two people working but one will start at 6 and work until 2-3o'clock and the officecashier will do 9 to 5-6o'clock. Wondering if anyone else has heard about this???

ytrbut

HSC
jas62 said:
Dont tell me you lost an RF lol. . . people in my store lose them all the time but they always turn up. As long as it turns up they shouldnt get up you unless they are fuckwits. So i would be scared:worried:
Not quite :) My SM found a gun I left on show one Monday morning - I'd started at 0700 and finished just after midnight, yay for weekend shifts - and he told my SSM, STM and DM to log me. They decided not to, for some reason (whether my SM knows they didn't is another story), but it made me think whether a) logging after leaving a gun on show once was harsh, fair or generous and b) whether anyone had actually lost one, and what happened to them.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Does your store not have belt holders for RF Guns? We have 10 guns in our store and 10 holders so every person who uses one can take a holder so they can keep it safe.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
jas62 said:

Well i heard that systerms and cashoffice will join to one but will still have the two people working but one will start at 6 and work until 2-3o'clock and the officecashier will do 9 to 5-6o'clock. Wondering if anyone else has heard about this???
that seems unlikely.....it's just not practical for some days, espescially monday. i'd be suprised if it happened

phoneyid

HSC
N/A
Thanks townie and mark.

Townie, you're doing a great service to woolies and possibly even to woolies employees with this thread.

My son is at the grunting stage of his life and not realy interested in my advice, so he'll have to learn the hard way. 'no pain no gain'.
Meanwhile woolies will benefit, allbeit unethicaly.

Personaly I expect little more from a retailer that stores apples for one year prior to sale as 'fresh food'.

We'rein Adelaide and although W is handy, we go to the 'BrickWorks' Market weekly.
My local W now sells freerange eggs @ $5.50/doz , they are a full $2 less @ the Brickworks. Apples @ W $3.9/kg ...... Brickworks 99c, although strawberries & avocados same price.

You kids should serve W in so far as it serves your own interests, the fact that you are all discussing; in your own time, without pay; methods of improving your productivity is noted by W I'm sure.

Expect no loyaly from W, as the saying goes, "business is business"..."nothing personal"

Do you know where the "Perch" comes from which you offer as coming from "Lake Victoria",,, have you ever noticed how it smells of bleach? or how it's whiter on the outside than inside???
Check out 'Darwin's Nightmare'
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9039818938732594749

http://freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=157

http://freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=105

Business is business.

jas62

HSC
townie said:
that seems unlikely.....it's just not practical for some days, espescially monday. i'd be suprised if it happened
Thats what i was thinking but i donno it's woolies somehow trying to save money!! I hate working in systerms on mondays we do 5-3 it sucks so much. Hopefully today was my last day in systerms on a Monday

HSC
Looks like I might have to change my hours, going to uni 4 days a week and working in the meat department the other 3 is really fatiguing me, and I find myself struggling to get out of bed in time, even if my first class is at 1pm.

My store closes at 10pm, but do any departments (like Perishables or Longlife) work past close? Or is it only Nightfill that keeps working?

HSC
Oh, and is anyone else unable to get to the Internal Employees section at wowcareers? Been trying to cheeck it out for work closer to home, but after the "current employees only" screen I just get a button saying Employees Login, and nothing happens when I press it.

Should I just go through the regular application screen and add my Woolies employee number?

ChrisChrisau

HSC
Working at Woolies was a shocker for me. They rarely paid me right and I had to go to the district manager to reclaim the couple hundred dollars they owed me. Sure enough I was out of there after not too long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)