The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
by the time they would have worked it out, and then tracked down the details, the cards would no doubt have been sold-on, or used

Craven

HSC
Pardon the spamming, but I was wondering about Service Supervision training...

I was wondering if there was a proper, set way of training new front end supervisors? Cos I've done a few supervision shifts like weekend opens but have never been formally trained in anything, just from stuff i've picked up myself or what i've learnt from other supervisors. But i feel like I really don't know anything and am not confident on refunds, most of the SVR menu and like store policy shit.

Is there formal training you're supposed to receive that I'm not getting?
There isn't a supervisor induction that I know of, unless you are doing a retail certificate course/diploma with the company. There are training booklets available WoWPos Supervisor (SVR menu, spot checks, etc) and WoWPos Office (how to use the office program to generate reports, spot check, remote log off, etc) but I don't think you can get them from StoreNet, I think they need to be ordered by the SSM. I've only ever learnt these things from other supervisors and experience... just watching what other supervisors did when I was a cashier, etc. It may sound a bit nerdy, but I read training manuals and StoreNet when I am bored and its a dead night lol...

I've just recently been given supervisor shifts, and I am often backup supervisor (for when the rostered supervisor is on break)- can someone tell me what this 'complex stuff' (Manual EFT, EFT Settlement, Dissection dumps) is for?
Manual EFT is a way of processing EFT transactions when the EFT lines are down (pinpads cannot communicate with the banks). Important things to recognise are that if your store's EFT is down then you can only accept EFT transactions up to a certain amount (the floor limit). I don't remember what this is for our store and it may differ for you. Recently there was a widescale network issue which meant lots of customers credit cards were being declined as we couldn't accept them without authorisation (EFT must be online). Because of this our store got authorisation to raise our floor limit and allow these transactions to continue. Anyway, it's rare to come across offline EFT and it usually doesn't last long. You can tell when EFT is offline (usually only happens for one bank) if people are paying with SAV or CHQ and it requires a signature (approved 08 rather than approved 00). All this information is on StoreNet but your store will most certainly have it printed out and in a folder labelled Manual EFT on the service desk somewhere.. hopefully. In any case, if it ever happens definitely talk to the duty manager/office cashier especially because sometimes you may have to take a imprint of a credit card.

EFT settlements are automatically done by the system as part of the overnight process (the registers will print a read overnight that details the EFT amount processed/settled). Sometimes you may have to do this manually - public holidays when the store is closed, or if you live in QLD for example we have to do a manual settlement on Sunday night as the automatic process may be interupted due to daylight savings.

Dissection dumps are used to enter the price of an item when there is no other way to enter it into the register (if you don't have a barcode/know the reference number, etc). You select the correct department and type in the price.

2.) How many weeks do I need to give them before I quit? I wont be called in the time anyway so what should i write on my letter? i cant make it effective immidiently right?

Cheers.
It depends how long you have been working at the store and if you are casual or PPT. If you are casual you can quit immediately. If you are PPT the minimum is 2 weeks notice, but it increases the longer you work with the company. You can find out in the EBA.

My SM and office cashier are on my manager's case about me having too many TOIL hours. The thing I can't understand is, why? Why should they care?
Why haven't you used it yet? Technically it must be used within 21 days either side of the day it is accrued.

u care to much. I once had a transaction of $1200 of gift cards. I only refered to supervisor cause when i reached $1000, it asked for a supervisor password. Supervisor came along, (numbers in) and off i went up to $1200 lol.
It's important because if you don't get authorisation/bulk orders for large wish card transactions your store may go over the eft refund limit. Also, those sorts of transactions should generally be regarded as suspicious, and you should be requiring photo ID, like townie said.

Heh, sorry for the big post... I read this thread occasionally when I'm bored, but I never post. :)

HSC
A lady came in yesterday and wanted to return $83 worth of face washers/flannels. She had the receipt but I refunded it all onto the screen, saw the total, and told her I was gonna go and double check with the manager. She looked so confused that I would need to ask, but who the fuck returns $83 worth of face washers, and I wasn't gonna get in shit the next day about it.

HSC
we were soo busy as here in WA we are not open on sunday or monday. we had all of our big registers open (12) all day and STILL there were ques 3-4 people deep the whole day!!
Don't worry about it. My store (in WA) IS open Sunday and Monday and we were busy like that all day today.

then, after we finally got all the customers out half an hour after we closed, we all got a 15 minute lecture by our SSM. apparently the 'loss prevention' guy came into our store for a safety & security audit. he walked past all the security barriers setting them off and not one staff member asked to check his bag. then we had unsecured registers (ie no trolleys) so we got busted for that aswell.
This is pretty poor though.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Does a part-timer(BigW) who usually works tomorrow still get paid cause its a public hol even though we dont need to work?

mitch179

HSC
Does a part-timer(BigW) who usually works tomorrow still get paid cause its a public hol even though we dont need to work?
If you're not working, you will still get paid for it, but not at penalty rates, you'll only get your normal rate you'd get any other Monday, and if its a day your rostered for. (Not your RDO)

MjM2

HSC
Just asking, does anyone know what 'flex up' is?

During my shift other day that I was roster on for, my manager gave me this sheet to sign saying my shift that day and my shift tomorrow were to be 'flexd up' and I would get part time pay, but I would get sick leave and annual leave, which doesn't make sense to me cause I'm casual. Can anyone explain or has my manager just jibbed me of some pay?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Flexing up is when you're contracted to a small number of hours, and are given hours on top of those contracted.

MjM2

HSC
I don't know. He pretty much threatened me to sign the thing, saying that he couldn't give me shifts if I didn't sign it.

nanakid12

HSC
There is so much bitching about the shop on this forum. I think Woolworths is good place to work, the staff are friendly (at my store, anyways) and everyone is polite.
Go woolies!

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
Just asking, does anyone know what 'flex up' is?

During my shift other day that I was roster on for, my manager gave me this sheet to sign saying my shift that day and my shift tomorrow were to be 'flexd up' and I would get part time pay, but I would get sick leave and annual leave, which doesn't make sense to me cause I'm casual. Can anyone explain or has my manager just jibbed me of some pay?

never sign anything!!! I did because my manager just said "these are the shifts im going to be giving you can you just sign here to show that you've seen it" and seeing as it was my 3rd shift at the store i just assumed that that was how they knew that people had seen their rosters

then lo and behold i became a casual after the pay cycle.....

NEVER EVER SIGN ANYTHING!!! especially anything to do with rostering!

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
We're currently undergoing major renovations where our beloved Safeway will become Woolworths. Bring on the self-serve checkouts!!

Last edited:

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Hmmm... I was rorted by the incoming Liqour manager a few months back, told I was contracted to Checkouts, so thats where I had to work... simply, the guy didn't like the look of me, could've done what his predecessor did and kept me in Liquor anyway.
Heres my dilemma, he's rostered me in Liquor on Saturday Morning, 8 - 1, conflicting with my CONTRACTED Checkout shift of 9.30 - 2.30.
Do I have the right to tell him to piss off? That's the plan atm, since he was a prick to me...

CieL

HSC
Heres my dilemma, he's rostered me in Liquor on Saturday Morning, 8 - 1, conflicting with my CONTRACTED Checkout shift of 9.30 - 2.30.
He doesn't have the right to make you work 8-1 unless there is an agreement and approval from you, and a signature saying you will and can work that other shift.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Hmmm... I was rorted by the incoming Liqour manager a few months back, told I was contracted to Checkouts, so thats where I had to work... simply, the guy didn't like the look of me, could've done what his predecessor did and kept me in Liquor anyway.
Do I have the right to tell him to piss off? That's the plan atm, since he was a prick to me...
Your Liquor manager should know that your contracted shifts take residence over any other non-contracted shift.

Craven

HSC
Unless your liquor manager has done a deal with your csm then he'll just have to find someone else. I wouldn't tell him to piss off though, lol...

Today was HORRIBLE! Crap day.. I don't know why people decide they need to do their grocery shopping on Australia Day... you'd think they would have better things to do... anyway, turns out we definitely beat our sales target!

mlee72

HSC
I just found out today that i cant be a supervisor! The CSM really wants to put me on service but the C/OFFICE manager wont let her roster me or any other Office Cashiers for service (Because apparantly Frontend steals all the Office Cashiers) is that allowed if the CSM wants me on service? & What about IF the SSM agrees with the C/OFFICE manager but the CSM still wants me on service?

Last edited:

Craven

HSC
Wouldn't you rather be in the office? Sure you get paid at grade 2 but.. at least you don't have to serve customers :X

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)