The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
If you go in there with that attitude then you probably will. If you go in there apologetic for your mistake, then I highly doubt they will fire you for giving an extra $100 cash out. You'll probably get a warning and then be counselled.

Otacon2009

HSC
at one stage during my three year appointment, our CSM banned people from moving to different registers because every checkout operator (myself included) kept on having massive shortages. I've found entering the amount manually for cash (type 23495 to get $234.95) rather than using the preset amounts has caused less shortages as I focus better on the money in my hand. Found that shortcut by accident lol

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
at one stage during my three year appointment, our CSM banned people from moving to different registers because every checkout operator (myself included) kept on having massive shortages. I've found entering the amount manually for cash (type 23495 to get $234.95) rather than using the preset amounts has caused less shortages as I focus better on the money in my hand. Found that shortcut by accident lol
But $234.95 wouldn't be a preset amount? Not sure what you mean :p
Ah you mean the very top exact sale amount. no probs. how does that make you short of change as opposed to manually entering it? Manually entering will cause you to make mistakes

Last edited:

Otacon2009

HSC
Using this example will clear things up.

A cutomer's bill reaches $234.95 and wants to pay $320.50 cash. Virtually everyone I know goes Enter > Cash > Sees preset amount (ie. $235.00 $250.00 $300.00 $350.00). Obviously the customer's amount isn't listed so they select Key Amount > 320.50.

What I've done out of habit is go Enter > 32050 > Cash. To me it has reduced the error rate of touching an incorrect amount because of muscle memory (as when I've got a queue, I hit the same button out of habit). The other advantage of this method is that you can rectify the mistake before you hit enter. I type in 32000 only to discover the 50c, where I backspace and put the 50 at the end.

HSC
i seriously doubt that you will get fired. you have the right to i think two counselling sessions before termination even becomes a possibility.
people's tills are out by 50+ all the time. its disappointing, but you are not alone.

just go in there, say you've learnt your lesson, make sure you count the cash as its coming out of the till and as you give it to the customer.

you will be fine. :)

Craven

HSC
You only need to do a tender swap if it's credit, otherwise you can just do a cash purchase, so if you're waiting for a supervisor to come fix it up just ask if it's savings....

At least Woolworths doesn't make you put in for till shortages anymore....

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
you know apparantly we arent even supposed to use tender swap for credit anyway, we're just supposed to dissection dump to groceries and charge them that. because if you tender swap for credit there's the possibility of people obtaining cash advances that way, dont know anybody who actually does that though.

Lol, also, how sad am i, right now i'm at home doing the magazine returns.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
What's the go with penalty rates? This has been posted previously but I don't know where abouts in this thread.

My wage is $10.02 an hour.
On a sunday I had a planned 4 hour shift. Sunday is 50%/150% AKA time and a half

Thus:

10.02*1.5*4 = $60.12

---------

My payslip says:

Hrs: 4.12
Bfr Tax: $58.49

---------

What's the go? If that was 4 hours EXACTLY, it'd be something like $55. And 4 hours exactly should have been $60.12.

Thanks

SS-champion

HSC
You only need to do a tender swap if it's credit, otherwise you can just do a cash purchase, so if you're waiting for a supervisor to come fix it up just ask if it's savings....
clever trick although because I can do tender swap I'll just use that.

you know apparantly we arent even supposed to use tender swap for credit anyway, we're just supposed to dissection dump to groceries and charge them that. because if you tender swap for credit there's the possibility of people obtaining cash advances that way, dont know anybody who actually does that though.

Lol, also, how sad am i, right now i'm at home doing the magazine returns.
how can you access it from home?

HSC
What's the go with penalty rates? This has been posted previously but I don't know where abouts in this thread.

My wage is $10.02 an hour.
On a sunday I had a planned 4 hour shift. Sunday is 50%/150% AKA time and a half

Thus:

10.02*1.5*4 = $60.12

---------

My payslip says:

Hrs: 4.12
Bfr Tax: $58.49

---------

What's the go? If that was 4 hours EXACTLY, it'd be something like $55. And 4 hours exactly should have been $60.12.

Thanks
Its not 1.5 times your rate. Its 1.7 times the part/full time rate. So 4 x 8.something means you have been paid correctly.

danberg

HSC
speaking of magazines....have the november fresh magazines come out for other stores, cos we still havent got ours, normally they're out on the first of the month, and the customers are pestering us about it!

yoddle

is cool
HSC
shit i could be fired from my woolies store cos instead of $300 cash out i gave $400. i hate myself. i learnt my lesson to count the notes i only and 3 50's and heaps of 20's in my draw and used a couple of tens sit im going to get fired tomorrow, my 8 months woolworths journey is coming to an end
I accidentally gave out $500 once and only got counselled.
I also subsequently managed to lose another $100 which was never accounted for and I'm still going fine, so don't worry. Unless you stole it, and they'll probs have you on camera.

speaking of magazines....have the november fresh magazines come out for other stores, cos we still havent got ours, normally they're out on the first of the month, and the customers are pestering us about it!
Yes they have. If we have them, you should.

A QUESTION:
Say a customer asked to round their groceries, which are $80, up to $120 on EFT, but the cashier accidentally put $120 extra, how do you fix it?
Would the best way be to somehow disc dump the $120 she was given and then do a refund of $120 onto the customer's card, then just do a cash purchase for the $40 she actually wanted??
If so, how would you go about it?

The store I'm going back to changes CSMs faster than hot dinners, the new one that I'll be working under hasn't done checkouts since long before i started, therefore only has very pedestrian training on WowPos, let alone the other mass of shit CSMs have to do. How does this work? Does she just have very very intensive training for it? She has previously been Produce 2IC and Deli Manager.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I accidentally gave out $500 once and only got counselled.
I also subsequently managed to lose another $100 which was never accounted for and I'm still going fine, so don't worry. Unless you stole it, and they'll probs have you on camera.

Yes they have. If we have them, you should.

A QUESTION:
Say a customer asked to round their groceries, which are $80, up to $120 on EFT, but the cashier accidentally put $120 extra, how do you fix it?
Would the best way be to somehow disc dump the $120 she was given and then do a refund of $120 onto the customer's card, then just do a cash purchase for the $40 she actually wanted??
If so, how would you go about it?

The store I'm going back to changes CSMs faster than hot dinners, the new one that I'll be working under hasn't done checkouts since long before i started, therefore only has very pedestrian training on WowPos, let alone the other mass of shit CSMs have to do. How does this work? Does she just have very very intensive training for it? She has previously been Produce 2IC and Deli Manager.
Well customers usually only do it when they have (just say) $120 in the bank and want to take it before the bank does.. but you have plenty of time whilst they are doing their pin to cancel it..
But yeah, can't really answer your question (I assume by 'extra' you mean cash out)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yoddle, i've never tried it before, and not sure if it is possible, but can you tender swap EFT for Cash

(e.g. incorrect amounts $80 EFT, correct amount $80 Cash), that SHOULD -$80 on the EFT card, and then add $80 back to the drawer, but not sure if possible to do that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)