• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (9 Viewers)

bensneddon

HSC
My current store manager (male) used to be the SSS.

Now we have a body with a vagina attached from WA. Maybe babikakez knows her?

Today was v. busy. My second last shift at my current store. Got many hugz.
Who did you get from WA?

SS-champion

HSC
Just to go back to the SCO discussion:

I suppose it's different at all stores but -

- we have the silver key with us in the service desk all the time.
- the attendant can leave the SCO area eg. usually to serve smokes
- if it's busy the SCO attendant is the first one to go on registers leaving the supervisor to do smoke shop and self serve. This can be very hard when it's busy
- if you aren't allowed to open the SCO's then how do you put the change in each morning?

yes we were told in training that there must be someone at self serve all the time and they can't leave but this never happens.

twelvemonths

HSC

- if it's busy the SCO attendant is the first one to go on registers leaving the supervisor to do smoke shop and self serve. This can be very hard when it's busy
- if you aren't allowed to open the SCO's then how do you put the change in each morning?

yes we were told in training that there must be someone at self serve all the time and they can't leave but this never happens.
In response...
1. We were told that leaving the silver key at the service desk is a no-no.
2. Wow, the NCR trainer said this is breaking Rule #1 of being an attendant :)
4. Well, we put the float in before the store opens every morning. We're allowed to open the SCO to replace receipts/repair faults not to do with money, etc., and office cashiers can also open it to put small change (20c etc) in to the hoppers. No opening of the note float allowed.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC

1) We also must leave the key in the service desk draw.
2) I was never told of any rule stating to remain in SCO area (apart from when its busy and you cant leave ANYWAY). At night time, I'm doing everything (answering phones, serving smokes, self serve, filling drinks, sometimes confec)
3) Not the case in our store. Self serve person is rostered for self serve so they stay on no matter what. Impossible for svr to do it all, they are busy enough as it is alone
4) You put it in when you're opening self serve in the morning.....

twelvemonths

HSC
At night time, I'm doing everything (answering phones, serving smokes, self serve, filling drinks, sometimes confec)
Wow. I've never served smokes (mostly because I can't stand serving people something that will eventually eat them from inside, but that's a different story). I've never filled drinks during self serve time (WOW. That must be tough!!!!).

HSC
Now we have a body with a vagina attached from WA. Maybe babikakez knows her?
Who'd you get? I probably won't know them though.

I actually have a pretty interesting question.
If something happens to your woolworths shirt, are you allowed to go into work with a plain white business shirt as a last resort?

If you are/if youre not allowed, has anybody here needed to?

To be honest, if it was only for a short period (1-2 shifts), I don't see how it would be too big of a problem. At least you are actually working as opposed to cancelling your shift an hour before or 30 minutes before.

I think this will be good to know just incase.
And yeah, white shirts are fine. Half my store is in one.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Wow. I've never served smokes (mostly because I can't stand serving people something that will eventually eat them from inside, but that's a different story). I've never filled drinks during self serve time (WOW. That must be tough!!!!).
No actually, lol. We're attached to a shopping centre, so at 5pm when those roller doors close, it becomes a dead town. After 7pm it is literally ABANDONED.

I sit at the service desk almost falling asleep. It's pretty damn bludgy, hence why i love my job so much :D (btw im contracted to 4 SCO close shifts a week ;) )

HSC
I don't see how HR can run out of green shirts. They are so plentiful, I've got four!
Its not about HR running out, its about people being too lazy to buy their own. I massively tore mine down the front today.

And I saw our regional compliance chick today in one of the fitted shirts, she looked pretty good. We had an interesting conversation about my useless arm. And strangely it wasn't terrifying talking to her :p

Last edited:

twelvemonths

HSC
Its not about HR running out, its about people being too lazy to buy their own. I massively tore mine down the front today.

And I saw our regional compliance chick today in one of the fitted shirts, she looked pretty good. We had an interesting conversation about my useless arm. And strangely it wasn't terrifying talking to her :p
Why should we have to buy our own shirts? The agreement says we should be reimbursed for them. From the WA state agreement:

"...the company shall supply such uniforms free of charge or pay for its purchase and such uniform shall remain property of the company."

In addition,

"Where an employee is required to wear uniform, other than jumpers, such uniform shall be maintained and laundered at the company's expense."

HSC
Why should we have to buy our own shirts? The agreement says we should be reimbursed for them. From the WA state agreement:

"...the company shall supply such uniforms free of charge or pay for its purchase and such uniform shall remain property of the company."

In addition,

"Where an employee is required to wear uniform, other than jumpers, such uniform shall be maintained and laundered at the company's expense."
Which is why people are allowed to wear white shirts, and green shirts are a tax deductable item.

idk what area you're in, but there's no way that our HR people would just hand shirts out when they were needed. Actually, the HR officer was in white on friday and saturday.

twelvemonths

HSC
Which is why people are allowed to wear white shirts, and green shirts are a tax deductable item.

idk what area you're in, but there's no way that our HR people would just hand shirts out when they were needed. Actually, the HR officer was in white on friday and saturday.
We're allowed to wear white shirts, but not permanently. In addition, green shirts are a tax deductible item for those who pay tax. This contravenes the agreement as a) the company is not paying for the shirts, b) tax deductions are not available to everyone, therefore even if we ignored a) not everyone would get free shirts, and c) the cost of laundering the shirts is still not being paid.

HSC
the 'not permanently' clause is obviously not being adhered to in some stores. I agree that say once a year we should be issued with new shirts, but I've not seen anyone in my store be issued a new shirt by HR other that at uniform changeover between white and green, and on starting employment.

Who is your HR officer, twelvemonths?

brookie94

HSC
Hey when our ordered shirts come in how do we know they have arrived? Will we be given them or do we get told to go collect then or do we just keep asking the cash office if they have arrived yet?
Btw us it the cash office they go to?

HSC
Hey when our ordered shirts come in how do we know they have arrived? Will we be given them or do we get told to go collect then or do we just keep asking the cash office if they have arrived yet?
In my store, they go to cash office first, and then get allocated to your respective department manager.

twelvemonths

HSC
In my store it's the SSM. Or SM. Or STM. Can't remember :p One of the managers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)