The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

PyroTek

HSC
And this is the core reason why if someone asks for lots of cash out, every time i save the transaction and check how much I have in my drawer before processing the cash out.

britto89

HSC
And this is the core reason why if someone asks for lots of cash out, every time i save the transaction and check how much I have in my drawer before processing the cash out.
Agreed, for any massive amounts I'd always check. By checking and seeing you don't have enough allows you to save the transaction and bring it up on another register. Smoke shop is normally good for this as there tends to be $50 notes in surplus. In terms of a register loan I'd always just ask for the amount I need, eg: I needed $100, from the supervisors point of view needing to know the whole confusing story wasn't required. It should have just been Operator:"I'm $100 short on a cash out transaction because I just did a pickup, can I have a $100 loan". The money should have then went from the supervisor to that operator to give to the customer, allowing it to be counted and included as the $500 cash out. I wouldn't have given them any, until I could give them the whole amount. That avoids the confusion that caused the customer to be 400+ in the black.

On a side note, I'll quite often ask the customer next in line if they require cash out if I'm about to do a pickup. If you ask them before you start serving them when doing a pickup in between customers you can easily leave what they want in the draw, although I always leave a few $50 notes when doing a pickup.

britto

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Just out of interest...What time does your SM and SSM start?

Our SM is a lazy bum and doesn't start til 9...Although he doesn't leave til 6pm so fair enough.. Our SSM is our opening duty, so she's always there by 7 and finishes at 4

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I leave 5x 50's and 8x 20's in a pickup.. what do you guys do?
Our CSM has told us we aren't allowed to leave any 50s in the draws after a pick up (which is pretty stupid) and a minimum of 10 20s, depending on the time.

britto89

HSC
I leave 5x 50's and 8x 20's in a pickup.. what do you guys do?
I normally don't send any $20's up in a pickup, unless I've got a lot. But it depends what department you are working in. In the liquor department because of the nature of the specials I find I go through a lot of $20 notes. Eg: Beer is a multibuy 2 for $60 or 2 for $70. Customer pays $100, you give them change with $20 notes.

For an end of night (final pickup) I send up all my $100s and $50s and leave 10 x $20 notes as a base. I normally don't send any $5 and $10 notes up as its a waste of time and money from my point of view.

britto

ekul444

HSC
N/A
when i send a pickup (one in the middle of the day) i leave about 8x $50s. i dont send any $20. most people pay by card/get cash out at our store so i really cant afford to leave any less than 8 $50s in my drawer...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
EIGHT $50 notes!, i always used to leave 4 at an absolute maximum, and normally only 2

britto89

HSC
I agree with townie, 8 is a lot to be leaving. At the end of the day we are registers not ATM's. Its a bit silly how it all works. One woolworths department promotes to customers that they can get up to $500 in each transaction and another promotes to staff to only have $ X amount in the draw. This is normally why I only send all of my $50s and none of my $20s to allow cash out when I don't have any $50s.

This topic should probably be killed in this thread, discuss draw amounts with people internal at your store.

britto

PyroTek

HSC
All i'm saying is that maybe they should put out something which is "best practice" and tell staff how much to leave.
Also, customers I find get pretty shitty when they can't get their $400 cash out or whatever.

bdude

HSC
If it's during the day time on a busyish day then I'll leave 8 x $50's and probably 5-6 x $20 notes but if it's heading into the night I'll probably just leave 5 or 6. When we close we're supposed to keep the drawers under $1000 so I'll make sure I do enough of a clearance to get it under that and still leave enough for the people in the morning.

And they've brought in for us a thing that you must only send a clearance if it's over $1000 in order to cut costs.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
And they've brought in for us a thing that you must only send a clearance if it's over $1000 in order to cut costs.
Great...Now you need to put signs up in your store saying "Attention all potential thief's...our draws are crammed full of dosh for you to take at your leisure!"

zobothebobo

HSC
we have always been told (at least at coles) that we have to leave a minimum of $500 in our drawer when we do a clearance, because for some reason most of the customers seem to get large amounts of money out in our store. a supervisor told me once that it takes up too much time to get money out of another drawer if we haven't got enough.

jirwin

HSC
Oh so not just my store... although the sheet I signed said $1000 and I was told the other day they've taken it up to $1500. I wish they would make up their minds as to what they want done, I've signed at least 3 team talks about clearances since February.

HSC
We're told only to leave four 50s in our drawer during pickups. Some lady came in and wanted $1500 in cashout the other day...I almost died. I straight out told her that I didn't have that much. They should have a minimum amount! Last time, it was $400 which I feel is reasonable. Not many of us would have $1000 in 50s in our till that freqeutly. She got quite pissy...I told her that I may be able to give her a couple hundred but she said that $1500 was that she wanted. I told her that I couldn't help her then and maybe she'd wanna try the service desk. IDIOT. We're not an ATM!

jirwin

HSC
We're told only to leave four 50s in our drawer during pickups. Some lady came in and wanted $1500 in cashout the other day...I almost died. I straight out told her that I didn't have that much. They should have a minimum amount! Last time, it was $400 which I feel is reasonable. Not many of us would have $1000 in 50s in our till that freqeutly. She got quite pissy...I told her that I may be able to give her a couple hundred but she said that $1500 was that she wanted. I told her that I couldn't help her then and maybe she'd wanna try the service desk. IDIOT. We're not an ATM!
Oh wow, don't most banks have limits at $1000 a day via EFTPOS anyway? Our limit at Coles is $400 and rarely do I get people that want that much.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
this is the problem though, woolies keeps advertising that you can get cash out at any register, and customers dont want to pay the $2 at the ATM

HSC
customers dont want to pay the $2 at the ATM
stingy bastards :p
:spzz: Busy as hell today! my god, we had the grocceries boys/ 21C in groceries serving most of the day as well. Didn't get a teabreak, but went to lunch at ten past two got back and used the RF gun for a good 15 minutes and then served a bit then home! woo now to relax :sleep:

But me and the groceries 21C shared maccas for lunch and watched movie trailers on his iphone good fun.

Also we had some guy bolt from liquor, stole a 1.5L bottle of jim beam and put it down his pants and bolted but we caught him

Last edited:

britto89

HSC
I'm pretty sure $500 is the limit. Customers using ezybanking in the past were able to get out larger amounts of money. However it normally involved going to the service desk as I used to double count the money. If i had more than $500 in the draw and they asked for more (eg:$600) i'd say "Sorry, its up to $500." Thats what it says on the signs, policy and website.

britto

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
This has nothing to do with the topic..but Kevin Rudd is spelled "Kevin Dudd" in your signature under his photo =P
HAHAHAHAHA dont worry I just looked at it again...I am just the stupidest person in the world..I no understand the lol-ness of it.
Fucken DERRRRR harry!
lolololol
Kevin Dudd
Wayne Swine
Penny Wrong

hahah
lol, yes it is a great sig isn't it :rolleyes: hehehehe

DOUBLE TIME AND A HALF TOMORROW! :music:
whose working all day? ME! 08:00-16:00!
GOD I miss double time and a half :(

Just out of interest...What time does your SM and SSM start?

Our SM is a lazy bum and doesn't start til 9...Although he doesn't leave til 6pm so fair enough..
Our SM is awesome... and the nicest SM (honestly) I've worked with.
Today, he started at midnight, worked til 4.30 am, went home, came back at 7.30 am, and worked til about midday, or 1 pm.
An 'average' day would be about 5.30 am til 6 or 7 pm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)